Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #61
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
SFREDSKIN......I still may be able to get a ticket for you if you decide to come east anytime during the season.
Thank you for the offer, If I do, I will make sure to contact you. Now let's hope JZ resolves the RZ issues and we get going so everyone can stop bitching about the Redskins and Zorn being horrible.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #62
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This isn't about should Zorn be fired, or should Shanahan (whoever) be hired.

This is more about with the current Redskins roster what type of head coach is the best fit?

Do we need a hot-shot, upstart who can relate to the young guys?

Do we need a hard-nosed disciplinarian who can keep everyone in check?

Do we need an experienced offensive mind who can help our rookies and 2nd year players?

Discuss
Mike Holmgren is what this team needs. Not the Mike H. who mailed it in last year in Seattle. I want the guy before that, who can be an ass kicker when needed, but knows how to communicate w/ the players and most of all a guy the players RESPECT. He commands respect when he walks in the room. Hell we can hire him and put Zorn at QB coach where he belongs. But it will never happen cause Snyder can't push Holmgren around.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #63
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Ahh, thank you!! The only retread I would consider would be Dungy.
Me too. Tony D would be the only retread that I personally would consider. And I'm sure that Danny will phone me up to ask my opinion on this issue.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #64
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

The organization needs to go higher up than head coach. What is needed is a total upheaval from top down. The needs a general manager that is responsible for the entire football operations. A head coach that instills discipline. An experienced offensive coordinator. An aggressive defensive coordinator to handle the Redskins best squad.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #65
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
If an abject failure like Norv Turner can have a seven year run here in Washington with teams that more often than not showed very little promise, Jim Zorn deserves at least half that amount of time.

What's even more sad to note, if John Cooke had been successful in gaining control of the Redskins, Norv Turner may still be the coach. I vividly remember the words of his father Jack Cooke when he hired Norv, he said at the time Norv would be the last coach he was going to hire, and I'm sure he also at the time was hoping for a little longer life span.

Fans have been clamoring for coaches like Cower, Gruden, Shannahan and others. Cower had a twelve year run in Pittsburg with one SB trophy to show for his efforts. Would Mr. Snyders' impatient blanket spand that period of time without his coveted prize? Gruden's success in Tampa could be largely attributed to his predecessor Tony Dungy who had aready laid the foundation for his work. Shannahan was not the great coach once John Elway left the game.

Mind you, I'm certainly not knocking any of these very good coaches, what I am saying is that a HC must have time to build a solid program. The Redskins knew what they were getting in Zorn when they hired him , basically "on the job training" a coach with no prior coordinating experience at any level, therefore he deserves the benefit of the doubt. If they had higher expectations then they shouldn't have hired a coach so limited in scope. Given the proper time and support, it's my belief Zorn will become a proficient HC.

my rant is over, thanks for listning.....
The reason I would want a coach like Cower, Gruden or Shannahan is becasue they are the only type of coach that will come in with the clout to make the front office changes that are needed. If the big name is going to come in and accept the current setup like Gibbs did then it won't work and they may as well keep Zorn. It needs to be like when Marty came in and had the authority to fire Vinny after the first time he sat down with him. If one of these guys can get that power Marty had for that 1 year...then we are in an infinitely better position then we are now.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
The reason I would want a coach like Cower, Gruden or Shannahan is becasue they are the only type of coach that will come in with the clout to make the front office changes that are needed. If the big name is going to come in and accept the current setup like Gibbs did then it won't work and they may as well keep Zorn. It needs to be like when Marty came in and had the authority to fire Vinny after the first time he sat down with him. If one of these guys can get that power Marty had for that 1 year...then we are in an infinitely better position then we are now.
But change for the sake of change won't really help either. None of those three have proven themselves to be successful GMs. Can they be? Maybe. Though it doesn't seem like Shanahan was able to do both.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #67
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But change for the sake of change won't really help either. None of those three have proven themselves to be successful GMs. Can they be? Maybe. Though it doesn't seem like Shanahan was able to do both.
Only guy I think could do both is Parcells and he is not available nor would I want him.

I think we have to have patience with Zorn. But of all those coaches I would bring in the one who is more offensive minded. Our D will be okay. But if Zorn got fired it would be because of the O not the D.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #68
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Greg Williams.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #69
12thMan
MVP

Naw, this team ain't too old. Give me a break. I hate to use them as an example, but look at the Patriots. Across the board they are a veteran team. Even the Giants offensive has line has played together for the past four years/five years. Those guys aren't exactly spring chickens either. The Cardinals are another team that comes to mind. Geez Kurt Warner just 700 years old, and both Fitz and Boldin have been in the league around the same length of time as Santana Moss. So the Skins aren't in need of some "youth movement".

We have one of the youngest secondaries in the league. Rocky is young, Orakapo is a rookie, and Fletcher has a lot of milage left him. Besides, the guy never get's injured.

I honestly think Zorn could be the right coach. He's not too young, not too old. I think he relates well. He's just too much of an offensive coordinator. He has the mechanics down, but not the nuance. Play calling is about nuance and imagination. He's not there yet. Without naming a coach, if Zorn doesn't get it done we might have to start from scratch.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Greg Williams.
Nah.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #71
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

The coaches in this clip are exactly the type of coaches we need for the Redskins. Especially the assistant. Relevant part starts at 1:01

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. So much I want to see Zorn succeede because every time we change coaches we take two steps backward. When we start getting the ball in the endzone, there'll be no stoping us.

When it comes to changing coaches, many times the grass is not always greener, I believe it takes time, sometimes more than just a year or two to build a solid winner. When Gibbs left this last time, Mr. Snyder said in his first interview when asked what he learned form Gibbs, he said PATIENCE. I think you and I would agree it's time for him to demonstrate he meant what he said.
I agree, winning teams dont change coaches as fast as the Skins do. I think a coach needs 4 years minimum to see if its gonna work.

There is no way a hard a$$ disciplinarian coach would work here because with the Redskins the players run the show, not the coaches. I am trying to imagine Portis, Moss, ARE dealing with a tough coach. It wouldnt be pretty but it could be fun to watch.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote