Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

OK... I mentioned it in another thread, but I wanted to discuss quarterback height and get everyone's opinion.

Chase Daniel is listed at 6' 0". He is considered "too short" to QB for the Skins (I guess?) b/c I'm not sure what more a rookie QB could do to earn a roster spot. He's not too short for the Saints b/c they have an All-Pro QB THE SAME EXACT HEIGHT... he wears #9 for them.

Here's what I REALLY don't get...

Drew Brees - 6' 0"
Kurt Warner - 6' 2"
Jake Delhomme - 6' 2"
Tony Romo - 6' 2"
Aaron Rodgers - 6' 2"
David Gerrard - 6' 1"
Brett Favre - 6' 2"
Tavaris Jackson - 6' 2"
Mark Sanchez - 6' 2"
Michael Vick - 6' 0"
Donovan McNabb - 6' 2"
Seneca Wallace - 5' 11"

For the Saints, he could be Brees 2.0... (I'll tell you what... it's a great opportunity for him to learn behind a guy who certainly has made 6'0 work!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not drunk on Daniel Flavored Kool-Aid, nor do I think he's going to be as good as Drew Brees... what I don't get is how his height has anything to do with his ability to QB in the NFL.

Is there REALLY that much difference in an inch or two? Does that make one QB a Hall of Famer and the other a non-drafted, 53-man cut?

Anyone else that doesn't get this whole thing?? Have a GOOD explanation?

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

do we have to talk about another team's practice squad qb? really, do we have to.

Chase showed a lot of potential, and I think Zorn would have liked him to get on the PS, but he didn't. I really hope he is now worrying about the Giants, and not where Chase ends up. Remember, we could take him off their squad if we wanted to activate him.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

I'm talking about QB height, with Daniels being the springboard for the conversation... this thread isn't about him, necessarily...

... it's about 6'0" being too short to QB in the NFL and getting other people's opinion on THAT.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

ok, sorry, I don't have any idea on that one.

I apologize for the snark post.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Problem is, everyone who actually saw Chase Daniel in person said he was nowhere near 6 feet tall. I kept hearing that he was more like 5'9 or maybe 5'10.

Theismann was also 6'2 as was Joe Montana. Doug Flutie was well under 6 feet too. So I guess it just depends on how adept they are at seeing the field when they're not as tall as others.

There have been plenty of 6'5 quarterbacks who couldn't see the field either.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
dan_snyder69
Camp Scrub

It must have been his play in practice, the stuff we couldn't see. . . because otherwise, I thought Chase should have made the squad. And I bet he is a lot closer to 6 foot than 5' 9 lol. I think 6 foot and up is enough for the NFL
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Bucket
Playmaker

Well here is the thing...

Height shouldn't even matter. It's about the release... Brennans sidearm release is even lower then Daniels IMO
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I don't get the feeling that Zorn was so worried about the height thing. I just think once we decided to go with two QBs, that was that. They must have been pretty confident no one would move Chase to their active roster (they were right), but I bet they're disappointed he chose NOs PS over ours.

As for the main question, I don't think it helps, but obviously some good QBs haven't been that tall.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
OK... I mentioned it in another thread, but I wanted to discuss quarterback height and get everyone's opinion.

Chase Daniel is listed at 6' 0". He is considered "too short" to QB for the Skins (I guess?) b/c I'm not sure what more a rookie QB could do to earn a roster spot. He's not too short for the Saints b/c they have an All-Pro QB THE SAME EXACT HEIGHT... he wears #9 for them.

Here's what I REALLY don't get...

Drew Brees - 6' 0"
Kurt Warner - 6' 2"
Jake Delhomme - 6' 2"
Tony Romo - 6' 2"
Aaron Rodgers - 6' 2"
David Gerrard - 6' 1"
Brett Favre - 6' 2"
Tavaris Jackson - 6' 2"
Mark Sanchez - 6' 2"
Michael Vick - 6' 0"
Donovan McNabb - 6' 2"
Seneca Wallace - 5' 11"

For the Saints, he could be Brees 2.0... (I'll tell you what... it's a great opportunity for him to learn behind a guy who certainly has made 6'0 work!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not drunk on Daniel Flavored Kool-Aid, nor do I think he's going to be as good as Drew Brees... what I don't get is how his height has anything to do with his ability to QB in the NFL.

Is there REALLY that much difference in an inch or two? Does that make one QB a Hall of Famer and the other a non-drafted, 53-man cut?

Anyone else that doesn't get this whole thing?? Have a GOOD explanation?

You can give the disclaimer that you don't think he is as good as Brees but you still compared the two.

It has been acknowledged that he isn't even six feet. New Orleans can have him.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
GusFrerotte

What did you expect Chase to do? Zorn did his thing and Chase did his. Zorn and co has a job of bringing a winner back to DC and Chase is trying to make it in the NFL. He probably is pissed at being cut in the first place with Colt on IR and might think he has a better shot in NO for some reason. My personal prediction now is neither Chase or Colt will ever gain starter status. I have a feeling we are going to draft another QB in 2010 and might even go for one of the big names. To me that makes sense with what has transpired. It is dumb to only have 2 active QB's on your roster, especially with an offensive line as old as ours. IF the kid was too short, why bother signing him in the first place.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
What did you expect Chase to do? Zorn did his thing and Chase did his. Zorn and co has a job of bringing a winner back to DC and Chase is trying to make it in the NFL. He probably is pissed at being cut in the first place with Colt on IR and might think he has a better shot in NO for some reason. My personal prediction now is neither Chase or Colt will ever gain starter status. I have a feeling we are going to draft another QB in 2010 and might even go for one of the big names. To me that makes sense with what has transpired. It is dumb to only have 2 active QB's on your roster, especially with an offensive line as old as ours. IF the kid was too short, why bother signing him in the first place.
How is it dumb to only have 2 qbs? If we get to the third qb, the season is over.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
GusFrerotte

Well Chase or whoever might be able tosalvage a season if both JC and Collins went down. We have the oldest line in football. Do you think these guys are going to make it through a 16 game season without missing games? Hasn't happened in a long time. Collins is an old man. What if JC goes down with a ACL tear against the GMen Sunday. You are stuck with Collins for 15 games. Think he could last with an injury prone line?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Well Chase or whoever might be able tosalvage a season if both JC and Collins went down. We have the oldest line in football. Do you think these guys are going to make it through a 16 game season without missing games? Hasn't happened in a long time. Collins is an old man. What if JC goes down with a ACL tear against the GMen Sunday. You are stuck with Collins for 15 games. Think he could last with an injury prone line?
Very few teams...except for the almighty Patriots...are going to be successful if their 2nd QB and their 3rd QB have to start because the starting QB goes down with injury.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
GusFrerotte

My point is you need to be prepared for some really messed up contingencies. Look at Minnesota last year. Jackson sucked, they throw in Frerotte, he gets hurt, etc. Teams getting stuck going to #3 QBs isn't all that rare.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
GusFrerotte

What do you mean? Collins got us into the playoffs last as a backup. Brady got his big start as a backup winning the SB. I rather have a real QB than one that was converted into a WR(ARE). I think Colt or Chase could have won some games starting.