Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

This isn't about should Zorn be fired, or should Shanahan (whoever) be hired.

This is more about with the current Redskins roster what type of head coach is the best fit?

Do we need a hot-shot, upstart who can relate to the young guys?

Do we need a hard-nosed disciplinarian who can keep everyone in check?

Do we need an experienced offensive mind who can help our rookies and 2nd year players?

Discuss

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Re: What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

As i said on an earlier post, i think a hard nosed,in your face HC is exactly what we need. One who holds everyone accountable for their actions and will break his foot off in your @$$ if you dont do your job. Cowher.

Look what Mike has done in S.F. He may do strange things -pants down- but he has those guys playing hard.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

It just needs a HC that can put points on the board.

Sorry for the obvious take but I still think Zorn has what it takes if he just gets his head out of his ass in the RZ.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

This is more about with the current Redskins roster what type of head coach is the best fit?

Do we need an experienced offensive mind who can help our rookies and 2nd year players?

Discuss
At this point I don't think our issues, fundamentally, are with coaching and players. I have been a big front office supporter in the past. I think Both Snyder and Cerrato have gotten an immense amount of unfair criticism. But it has been 10 years and this ship is still pretty wobbly. At some point I have to throw out all of my notions that Snyder is doing whatever it takes to win...it doesn't matter anymore to me. Even though I believe strongly he tries as hard or harder than any owner I think he simply isn't very good at it. It's not that he is too involved necessarily it that he simply has no pulse on the organization. He can't see what the deficiencies really are. We have the same issues year after year. Hell even his idol coach couldn't help him right the ship all that much. I'm not in the org so I can't say what the issues really are but the common thread among them in Snyder. So the coach that we need we'll probably never get because it's the coach who Snyder will give complete and total control to over every single thing that relates to the football product. Evene then I increasingly don't trust Dan to pick the right guy to do that.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
As i said on an earlier post, i think a hard nosed,in your face HC is exactly what we need. One who holds everyone accountable for their actions and will break his foot off in your @$$ if you dont do your job. Cowher.

Look what Mike has done in S.F. He may do strange things -pants down- but he has those guys playing hard.
He also has a young team. We don't...that kind of act would be a disaster here.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
He also has a young team. We don't...that kind of act would be a disaster here.
Hint hint. maybe a youth movement is needed.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Discuss
I think an experienced offensive mind would have helped greatly. Zorn still can become that, but a coordinator with more offensive playcalling experience would have been great given our anemic offense.

Which sort of makes me realize that Grilliams or Spags would not have worked here.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Our Oline is aged and ineffective, MLB, and our Backfield are well seasoned.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Hint hint. maybe a youth movement is needed.
Yes more total rebuilding...just what we all want.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Dare i say it, we passed on Josh McDaniels. say what you want about the Cutler deal but his offense is scoring and spreading defenses out so his players can make plays. 2 things that come up that Zorn hasnt done.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I think we need a HC who is a proven winner. He has to be experienced but young enough to lead the team energetically for the next seven to ten years.

I'm a Bill Cowher fan. I don't think of him so much as a disciplinarian but rather as a very intense leader and motivator.

Honestly, Jim Zorn is doing a better job than I thought he would. The difficulty he is facing is that he is learning how to be a HC and a play-caller while on the job. If he makes it past this season, I think he could become the type of HC I described.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Dare i say it, we passed on Josh McDaniels. say what you want about the Cutler deal but his offense is scoring and spreading defenses out so his players can make plays. 2 things that come up that Zorn hasnt done.
His offense scored 27 pts. in the first game and 6 pts. in the second game before that fluke of a TD. So they had one game where they score points and one where they score few points, how is that any different than us? Other than they are 2-0, when they should be 1-1.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Yes more total rebuilding...just what we all want.
So you are fine with our old Oline and other positions that need to be addressed?? I didnt say scrap the whole team but there are areas where we need to bring in younger talent.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
His offense scored 27 pts. in the first game and 6 pts. in the second game before that fluke of a TD. So they had one game where they score points and one where they score few points, how is that any different than us? Other than they are 2-0, when they should be 1-1.
Im just saying that he spreads things out so his guys can make plays and he is aggressive in his playcalling --trusts his QB--. Who would have thought Buckhalter would look like mini-westbrook? -to this point-
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
roth74va
Special Teams

Although I do agree we could use more discipline(Cowher), I see the majority of our struggles being on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Zorn will right the ship, and figure out how to score TD's and not FG's. Jerry Gray is a longtime Williams/Blache assistant, and Id like to see him given a shot with defensive coordinator once Blache is done.

As for head coach, and I hope Zorn figures it out, IMO we would want to go offensive minded, WITH PLAYCALLING EXPERIENCE lol. Others have mentioned B.Schottenheimer who is alot younger, or a Shanahan/Holmgren type. The older guys would be short-term fixes, so Id prefer someone younger. Although if Holmgren came here, Im sure he would want total control, which might be the real blessing.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote