Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
A coach with natural leadership skills and a vision of where he intends to lead the team, and be able to accomplish his desired goals in a short period of time. That's the most difficult task for any HC in today's win now at all cost, or be gone philosophy.

A coach trained in the art of discipline, treating players as equals with fairness as well as firmness, not demonstrating recognizable favoritism, and holding each and every player accountable for their play on the field, and their social actions off the field.

A coach with the ability to establish a workable relationship with the FO in an effort to acquire talented players that want to be here, and coach them to their maximum ability with a goal in mind to win as many games as possible and eventually bring another SB trophy to Washington before I die.

There are other criteria, but for our team the way it's constructed now (in a win now mode) coach must still be able to insist upon the owner he exercise patience. It does take time to gather all the elements neccessary for a championship caliber team.

There's more........
I agree and I think we have that man right now. The thing is, would 2 years be a short enough period of time? I think it's too soon to tell exactly what will happen this year but I still feel we're progressing and will make the playoffs. Better play in the redzone and we're a pretty good team. I like the way this staff talks about "building" a good team. That's the way the Steelers and Ravens do it. When we get better in the redzone I don't think anyone can deny we'll be a pretty damn good football team and the SB will not appear to be out of reach. I'd call that progress. Nice post Longtimefan.

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Jim Mora or Jerry Glandville would be atleast funny to listen to after a loss. If we can't run up the score on anyone might as well have fun with it. LOL>

Especially Mora. LOL>
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #33
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Tony Dungy- for Experience, discipline, smarts and fairness.

Cam Cameron- for offensive innovation and lots of scoring

Russ Grimm- Familiar face, tough, smart.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Judging from fans who won't even give him 2 seasons to implement any type of consistent philosophy - I would say Merlin, or maybe Harry Potter is available.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #35
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Tony Dungy- for Experience, discipline and experience

Cam Cameron- for offensive innovation and lots of scoring

Russ Grimm- Familiar face, tough, smart.
Tony...........sigh...
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #36
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Jim Mora or Jerry Glandville would be atleast funny to listen to after a loss. If we can't run up the score on anyone might as well have fun with it. LOL>

Especially Mora. LOL>
Playoffs??? Classic
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Judging from fans who won't even give him 2 seasons to implement any type of consistent philosophy - I would say Merlin, or maybe Harry Potter is available.
lol that made me smile

Old 09-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #38
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I agree and I think we have that man right now. The thing is, would 2 years be a short enough period of time? I think it's too soon to tell exactly what will happen this year but I still feel we're progressing and will make the playoffs. Better play in the redzone and we're a pretty good team. I like the way this staff talks about "building" a good team. That's the way the Steelers and Ravens do it. When we get better in the redzone I don't think anyone can deny we'll be a pretty damn good football team and the SB will not appear to be out of reach. I'd call that progress. Nice post Longtimefan.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. So much I want to see Zorn succeede because every time we change coaches we take two steps backward. When we start getting the ball in the endzone, there'll be no stoping us.

When it comes to changing coaches, many times the grass is not always greener, I believe it takes time, sometimes more than just a year or two to build a solid winner. When Gibbs left this last time, Mr. Snyder said in his first interview when asked what he learned form Gibbs, he said PATIENCE. I think you and I would agree it's time for him to demonstrate he meant what he said.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. So much I want to see Zorn succeede because every time we change coaches we take two steps backward. When we start getting the ball in the endzone, there'll be no stoping us.

When it comes to changing coaches, many times the grass is not always greener, I believe it takes time, sometimes more than just a year or two to build a solid winner. When Gibbs left this last time, Mr. Snyder said in his first interview when asked what he learned form Gibbs, he said PATIENCE. I think you and I would agree it's time for him to demonstrate he meant what he said.
I think I would agree with you also
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #40
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Nice.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #41
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Don't get me wrong from the Russ Grimm comment, I think Zorn should get this year and unless he consistently demonstrates that he is completely inept, he should get a third year. So far, he seems to have progressed. He has adopted the shotgun and no-huddle more than originally planned and has gotten the ball moving.

The question is, can he now learn to manage a game "off script" (see GTripp's analysis of the offense) and make the hard choices to bench old reliables (Moss, Betts, Cartwright) for up and comers (Kelly, Mason/Aldridge, Thomas).

If he can do that over the course of this season, and IMHO, he should be back next year.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #42
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Do we need a hard-nosed disciplinarian who can keep everyone in check?

Discuss

The problem with a hard-nosed disciplinarian is that the Skins roster is full of high priced free agents. This can be a deadly combination. Efforts by coaches like that can easily backfire and cause the team to quit. It could work, but it could also have disastrous effects.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
OH yah, and it has to be someone who STILL has the...........hunger TO WIN!!
Not a damn burn out looking for a home.........
This is why I recoil any time the names of retreads like Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren, etc., are mentioned. Older retread coaches frequently don't work out because they lack the hunger of someone like, say, Rex Ryan.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #44
warriorzpath

I agree with everyone that is saying Zorn should be the redskins head coach. And I think that snyder has matured enough to give him enough time. But for now, we all seem to be frustrated with the way the team's been performing. All of that starts with the head coach. And I don't think it's a matter of just fixing the red zone issues because if it's not the red zone issues then it's another issue.

To answer the question of this thread - the type of head coach that the redskins need is/was a young gibbs. Zorn is not as ready as gibbs because zorn didn't prepare like gibbs before becoming a head coach.

Zorn will probably need to block out all of the feedback from fans and the media and focus on what he needs to do in order to get this team to perform at a high level. Hopefully Zorn has a plan and the confidence in that plan to execute it.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #45
bigant
Special Teams

Cool Re: What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

the word up here in north jersey ,is that jon gruden will be the next redskin head coach..
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote