Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Jared Jeffries to the Knicks

Other Sports

Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Jared Jeffries to the Knicks

The WP reported today that Jared Jeffries wants to play ball for the Knicks. I don't get it! Washington is clearly headed in the right direction, while the Knicks on the other hand are a dysfunctional mess.

Two things are bugging me about the Wizards. (chill, I know training camp has started but this is the parking lot)

First, we stand pat and let the Bulls pluck Ben Wallace from the Pistons which will make the Bulls, our divisional nemesis, an immediate contender. Seems like we would have least aggressively bid for his services. And now we are about to lose probably our best defender, especially on the perimeter, on the the team. I have to believe that Gilbert Arenas is especially taking note of these developments since he's publicly stated that he's willing to take a pay cut if the team is willing to take strides to be a bona fide contender in the next year or two. With Arenas' contract expiring in the near future, Hughes departing last season, and perhaps Jeffries this year, his future with the team may be in jeopardy as well.

The Wizards will be a good team this year, but when are they going to stop grooming top talent for the rest of the NBA?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: Jared Jeffries to the Knicks

I think it's okay that they didn't go after Wallace because they have the poor man's version in Haywood. However, they should have tried a lot harder to keep Jeffries because he was a suprisingly good player, IMO. Is he a restricted FA though?
What the Wizards need is a low post scoring threat who can bail out Arenas when he's driving to the basket.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
The WP reported today that Jared Jeffries wants to play ball for the Knicks. I don't get it! Washington is clearly headed in the right direction, while the Knicks on the other hand are a dysfunctional mess.

Two things are bugging me about the Wizards. (chill, I know training camp has started but this is the parking lot)

First, we stand pat and let the Bulls pluck Ben Wallace from the Pistons which will make the Bulls, our divisional nemesis, an immediate contender. Seems like we would have least aggressively bid for his services. And now we are about to lose probably our best defender, especially on the perimeter, on the the team. I have to believe that Gilbert Arenas is especially taking note of these developments since he's publicly stated that he's willing to take a pay cut if the team is willing to take strides to be a bona fide contender in the next year or two. With Arenas' contract expiring in the near future, Hughes departing last season, and perhaps Jeffries this year, his future with the team may be in jeopardy as well.

The Wizards will be a good team this year, but when are they going to stop grooming top talent for the rest of the NBA?
Yeah I heard about this yesterday, too. I mean I have kinda given up on the Wizards, they need some singificant rebuilding, and they refuse to do so. Arenas even said if the team doesn't make improvements, he is heading out when his contract ends. Another point that I thought, was that the Knicks are gonna suck ass again. I don't know why they spend top dollar for shit, but looks like they are gonna do it again. Jared is a good role player, but not the kind of player that the Knicks need at this point, and I am almost positive he will suck ass in NY along with marbury and comp.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Jeffries is a solid player, but it's not hard to find a Jarred Jeffries type really. I don't think he's worth a 6-year commitment. Remember the only reason Jeffries is even a Wizard to begin with was because the guy the Wizards really wanted, Caron Butler, was drafted just before JJ. And now the Wizards have Butler and it's clear that he's way better than Jeffries.

With Songaila and the emergence of Andray Blatche, plus a healthy Jarvis Hayes (knock on wood) JJ becomes expendable. If it was a one or two year deal I'd hold onto him, but I don't think he's worth a long term commitment.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
12thMan
MVP

Dunno, TAF, I just hate disrupting the chemistry element. And I'm not sure Haywood is really the poor man's version of Wallace. He's no where near as intimidating or intense. Wallace can totally change the complexion of the game. Why, Haywood was even benched this year because Jordan, in street venacular, didn't think he had heart!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Jarvis Hayes and his glass knee caps should probably just retire.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
wilsowilso

I hope they let Jared Jeffries walk because he stinks. Oh and he has no game. Skinny tall guys that can sort of rebound and sort of play defense who are excellent and bricking layups should not play for your team if you are interested in winning. Isaih Thomas loves his game? Actually we can probably get four first rounders from the Knicks for him now that I think about it. Have you seen what that GM did to that franchise? What a disgrace. Blatche and Pecherov are already better than Jeffries. Please let him walk.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso
I hope they let Jared Jeffries walk because he stinks. Oh and he has no game. Skinny tall guys that can sort of rebound and sort of play defense who are excellent and bricking layups should not play for your team if you are interested in winning. Isaih Thomas loves his game? Actually we can probably get four first rounders from the Knicks for him now that I think about it. Have you seen what that GM did to that franchise? What a disgrace. Blatche and Pecherov are already better than Jeffries. Please let him walk.
Well, seriously Jeffries doesn't stink. And Blatche hasn't proved squat to say he's better than Jeffries.
Have you seen Blathce play at all?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
wilsowilso

What exactly about Jeffries game impresses you the most? His career average of 6.1 points per game or the 4.8 rebounds per game? Maybe his 1.6 assists per game or his .4 blocks per game. I guess it's his uncanny ability to spaz whenever he has the ball around the basket?

Now in Blatche I at least see someone who averaged over 20ppg over the two summer leagues this year. He is not even 21 yet and he can play against men. Now it's only summer league but I am willing to bet Blatche will be at least three if not four times the player Jeffries is. Although that isn't saying much. The guy is not even 21 and he is taller and in my opinion more of a physical presence. With Blatche I think we will see some good things this year.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Jeffries isn't a scorer, but on the Bullets, he didn't have to be. He's a great team player, a hard worker, good defender, good inside player. With Arenas, Jamison, Butler...he didn't need to be a scorer. The loss won't hurt the team too much but I would've preferred that he stayed. Free agency will replace him though.

Good free agent replacements with similar games to Jeffries and would come cheap could be Adrian Griffin (DAL), DeShawn Stevenson (ORL), Trevor Ariza (ORL), Laron Profit (LAL), Calbert Cheaney (GS), Rasual Butler (CHA), Keith Bogans (HOU).
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso
What exactly about Jeffries game impresses you the most? His career average of 6.1 points per game or the 4.8 rebounds per game? Maybe his 1.6 assists per game or his .4 blocks per game. I guess it's his uncanny ability to spaz whenever he has the ball around the basket?

Now in Blatche I at least see someone who averaged over 20ppg over the two summer leagues this year. He is not even 21 yet and he can play against men. Now it's only summer league but I am willing to bet Blatche will be at least three if not four times the player Jeffries is. Although that isn't saying much. The guy is not even 21 and he is taller and in my opinion more of a physical presence. With Blatche I think we will see some good things this year.
I would love for Blatche to step up and pull his own, and then some!
Be my guest. I just don't like how we allow "budding" players bounce out of DC after two or three years and then go elsewhere and blow up.
No, Jeffries isn't an All-Star by any stretch of the imagination. It's possible that we can plug someone else in there and still get productivity.
But I don't think the stats tell the whole story either. First of all, you have the big three that will get the lions share of scoring for the Wizards. Which pretty much makes him a role player in that department. Defensively, Jeffries gave us a lot of different looks. He wasn't confined to playing in the post, where many block shots do take place. He added versatility.

My main point is that it seems like another year of here we go again.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

The only thing Jeffries brings to the table is his size and defense. He's not the greatest rebounder, and a terrible shooter. Like TAFKAS once told me....he's a master of nothing (I think you said it this way). He can play defense, create mismatches, and rebound (sometimes), but no way is he worth a 6 year contract. Until I see him hit 2 jumpers in a row, or until I see him NOT miss a layup......he's worthless. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome at Indiana, but none of that translated to his pro game.

And like TAF said, we've got Songaila and Blatche. For those of you who haven't seen Blatche or don't believe he can fill Jeffries shoes....check the summer league box scores and you'll see who was our leading scorer. Blatche brings so much more the table.....young, hungry, and full of talent. He can shoot, pass, and rebound just as good, if not, better than Jeffries. He can definitely shoot better. Blatche's only weakness is his defense, but thats why we signed Songaila. He's a good defender and spot up shooter.

Goodbye Jeffries.......
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
Jeffries isn't a scorer, but on the Bullets, he didn't have to be. He's a great team player, a hard worker, good defender, good inside player. With Arenas, Jamison, Butler...he didn't need to be a scorer. The loss won't hurt the team too much but I would've preferred that he stayed. Free agency will replace him though.

Good free agent replacements with similar games to Jeffries and would come cheap could be Adrian Griffin (DAL), DeShawn Stevenson (ORL), Trevor Ariza (ORL), Laron Profit (LAL), Calbert Cheaney (GS), Rasual Butler (CHA), Keith Bogans (HOU).

Ok with that list of similar players(some have pretty different games than Jeffries) I'm not sure I even need to argue my point anymore. Would anyone possibly give 33 million dollars to any of those players. He is an average player and he is a tweener so he basically doesn't fit anywhere. I hope they pass. In fact they can't afford not to IMO.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
The only thing Jeffries brings to the table is his size and defense. He's not the greatest rebounder, and a terrible shooter. Like TAFKAS once told me....he's a master of nothing (I think you said it this way). He can play defense, create mismatches, and rebound (sometimes), but no way is he worth a 6 year contract. Until I see him hit 2 jumpers in a row, or until I see him NOT miss a layup......he's worthless. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome at Indiana, but none of that translated to his pro game.

And like TAF said, we've got Songaila and Blatche. For those of you who haven't seen Blatche or don't believe he can fill Jeffries shoes....check the summer league box scores and you'll see who was our leading scorer. Blatche brings so much more the table.....young, hungry, and full of talent. He can shoot, pass, and rebound just as good, if not, better than Jeffries. He can definitely shoot better. Blatche's only weakness is his defense, but thats why we signed Songaila. He's a good defender and spot up shooter.

Goodbye Jeffries.......
Like I said, if Blatche can make it happen - good!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
wilsowilso

I guess being a Wizard fan is what we are burdened with as a balance for having the best football team in the world. It's frustrating to say the least. Go Skins!