Jared Jeffries to the Knicks

Other Sports

Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: Jared Jeffries to the Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso
I guess being a Wizard fan is what we are burdened with as a balance for having the best football team in the world. It's frustrating to say the least. Go Skins!
ditto on that.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
The only thing Jeffries brings to the table is his size and defense. He's not the greatest rebounder, and a terrible shooter. Like TAFKAS once told me....he's a master of nothing (I think you said it this way). He can play defense, create mismatches, and rebound (sometimes), but no way is he worth a 6 year contract. Until I see him hit 2 jumpers in a row, or until I see him NOT miss a layup......he's worthless. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome at Indiana, but none of that translated to his pro game.

And like TAF said, we've got Songaila and Blatche. For those of you who haven't seen Blatche or don't believe he can fill Jeffries shoes....check the summer league box scores and you'll see who was our leading scorer. Blatche brings so much more the table.....young, hungry, and full of talent. He can shoot, pass, and rebound just as good, if not, better than Jeffries. He can definitely shoot better. Blatche's only weakness is his defense, but thats why we signed Songaila. He's a good defender and spot up shooter.

Goodbye Jeffries.......
Jarred Jeffries-jack of all trades, master of none. On the other hand, I've heard from some people who have watched Blatche in person all summer that he is going to be simply awesome once he gets minutes.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:54 PM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I just want to say if Arenas leaves we're pretty much back at base 1. Why don't the Wizards want to make themselves into contenders? It's like they're happy just making the playoffs.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
dmek25
MVP

i agree with tafkas, players like jefferies are a dime a dozen. the move would have been ben wallace, for rebounding and interior defense. haywood is too foul prone and inconsistant. didnt wallace play for the wizards at one time?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

If I may channel Allen Iverson for a minute....We talkin' bout Jarred Jeffries. Jeffries. Jarred. Jarred Jeffries. Not Caron, not Arenas. Jarred Jeffries. What are we talking about people? Jarred Jeffries. Not Caron. Not Caron. Jeffries. C'mon now. We talkin' bout Jarred Jeffries. Not Arenas. Jeffries.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
TheInspector
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby
I just want to say if Arenas leaves we're pretty much back at base 1. Why don't the Wizards want to make themselves into contenders? It's like they're happy just making the playoffs.
Exactly. Arenas is the WHOLE team. Without him, we are nothing. We should do anything, just short of moving the team, to appease him.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #22
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby
This is the crux of what I'm getting at. It's not about Jeffries, per se. It's about team nucleus and building on that. Every year a starter leaves. If we had a dominant big, like a Shaq or someone in the middle it wouldn't hurt as much. I'm not sure you can sustain turnover year after year and hope to pass the second round of the playoffs.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #23
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
The WP reported today that Jared Jeffries wants to play ball for the Knicks. I don't get it! Washington is clearly headed in the right direction, while the Knicks on the other hand are a dysfunctional mess.
Let's see...

The Knicks have a recent history of paying players ludicrous sums of money and expecting very little in return.

Why indeed.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
itvnetop
Playmaker

matching the ridiculous NY contract would put us up near the luxury threshold... and would restrict us from pretty much any other moves. no way he's worth 6/year- that's what daniels gets paid and JJ doesn't come close to AD's production. plus there's a terrible trade kicker NY put in the contract that basically limits our options to the knicks or no one.

he's a decent perimeter defender, but he's a black hole on offense (not sure where it went as soon as he left indiana). in the princeton offense, we don't need an all star 2, but we do need someone who can knock down the open jumper. especially with all the cutting, our 2 needs to be able to consistently drain it when gil and caron move the defense.

i'm sure the FO will talk to gil before making the move- and i'm also confident jj isn't going to make or break gil's decision to stay in the future. do we really want to be albatrossed with jj's contract for 5 years? two words: etan thomas.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #25
djnemo65
Playmaker

Guys, there's a salary cap in basketball. We couldn't come close to aggressively bidding for Ben Wallace, and it would strap us to even resign Jeffries. Yes this team has a history of letting player's go to blow up, but we are under different leadership now with Jordan and Grunfield. Let Larry Hughes be a perfect example - it was tough to let him go, but there's no question with a year's hindsight that it was the right fiscal move to make.

I don't understand why anyone would give up on the Wizards claiming they are in need of rebuilding....they have made the playoffs two years in a row after 20 years of losing. They aren't there yet but there's positive momentum surrounding this team for basically the second time in my lifetime.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

the knicks are run by an absolute idiot. JJ is better than most are giving him credit for, and saying he wants to go to NY seems more like an agent trying to work the system, but he's not worth that much.

he is good, but man, the knicks are screwed up. last year i wanted hughes to stay, but he can't stay healthy and caron turned out to be better overall anyways. EG tends to know what he's doing....
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

I don't think Jefferies is that good, plus he has horrible facial hair
Old 08-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #28
itvnetop
Playmaker

ESPN.com - NBA - Minimum wage: Wizards get a deal in guard Stevenson

this contract is really good (for the minimum)... jj's a goner.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #29
MightyJoeGibbs
The Starter

Jared is just about to bloom too. That sucks I dont see how the Wizards are really cornering talent to get over that playoff hump. They need some quality big men though.
MightyJoeGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #30
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyJoeGibbs
Jared is just about to bloom too. That sucks I dont see how the Wizards are really cornering talent to get over that playoff hump. They need some quality big men though.
i honestly didn't see this FA crop having too many names this offseason anyway... I'd rather have stevenson at the minimum for a year or two than JJ at 6 per for the next 5 seasons. Remember, we've still gotta re-up Gil in a few years and twan comes off the books in two... by not resigning JJ, that leaves us with a future without hurting the present.

DS also shoots a better percentage than JJ- and he's not a bad defender at all. He'll be playing his butt off this upcoming season too, so he can opt out of the second year and get a big payday. This also gives some leeway to developing blatche (who will be better than both players in a few years) and negates the need to rely on jarvis hayes' knees.