Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Much Longer until the NFL no longer does the national anthem?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
VirgilTibbs

Re: How Much Longer until the NFL no longer does the national anthem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Terrific. It only took 10 posts on this topic for someone to draw a line to Hitler.
The line was already drawn when the President just encouraged an employer to fire employees who refuse to align political views with his by standing for the national anthem. How far is the line from the next step of facing criminal charges and being thrown in jail? The line drawn to Hitler is more applicable than you think: Persecute those who don't fall in line.
VirgilTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Funny how people forget about pat Tillman...much more of a man than what we see today on the field. He fought so cunts could get on all fours, lift his legs and piss like a bitch. But yet the NFL will push this person as a role model for the league.

double post
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #18
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Funny how people forget about pat Tillman...much more of a man than what we see today on the field. He fought so cunts could get on all fours, lift his legs and piss like a bitch. But yet the NFL will push this person as a role model for the league.

I will ask only once, watch the C word?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgilTibbs View Post
The line was already drawn when the President just encouraged an employer to fire employees who refuse to align political views with his by standing for the national anthem. How far is the line from the next step of facing criminal charges and being thrown in jail? The line drawn to Hitler is more applicable than you think: Persecute those who don't fall in line.
It's not close. It's the First Amendment. It's everyone's right to do what ever they want during the National Anthem. The President's insensitive and divisive comments were, in my mind, a patriotic view rather than a political one. It was stupid, but far from Hitleresque. I personally am not a fan of using the National Anthem as a venue to bring attention to social injustice, but it is bringing attention. Hopefully we can soon get past HOW or WHEN people are protesting, and focus on WHY, and start actually doing something about the reasons...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
It's not close. It's the First Amendment. It's everyone's right to do what ever they want during the National Anthem. The President's insensitive and divisive comments were, in my mind, a patriotic view rather than a political one. It was stupid, but far from Hitleresque. I personally am not a fan of using the National Anthem as a venue to bring attention to social injustice, but it is bringing attention. Hopefully we can soon get past HOW or WHEN people are protesting, and focus on WHY, and start actually doing something about the reasons...
CXP, I have respect for you, your service and your opinions, but I think what they are doing is extremely effective, especially given the attention from Trump. You know, if he hadn't said anything, there's a 50/50 shot that whole thing disappears into the wind when players realize it isn't making a difference. Instead, they got the largest polarizing voice in the world to draw attention to it, and now it's apparently spread like a virus. For the time being at least, it's going to get its' 15 minutes of fame. And that's a big win for the crowd.

Me personally, I don't feel like it's effective, but it is a fairly easy and non-violent way for the players to get their voices heard. Are we going to see a difference in the way police are trained as a result of this? Probably not. It's kinda insane to me that the military ROE are much stricter than police, given that police have to interact with communities every day and are on the front lines of gov't interaction with citizens. Right now they're taught to use force if they feel even slightly threatened, which I don't feel is working out given the continuous cycle of high profile incidents that keep drawing protests (whether right or wrong). If the military has to wait until fired upon to engage (with certain exceptions obviously) why does a cop have to wait until he/she feels even mildly threatened?

This problem is also compounded by how easily accessible video taping is nowadays. I'm sure these things still happened in the 80's/90's/etc. but back then it came down to an officer's word, nowadays a cop knows every action of theirs is likely to be scrutinized by their bodycam, or a bystander's camera. While that's a good thing for the public, it also increases the pressure on cops to act responsibly at all times. I personally just think some aren't trained enough to remain calm under pressure, which is admittedly tough to do. But that has to be one of the requirements for the job. In order to uphold the law effectively, they have to be held to a higher standard than a citizen. That includes justifying use of force. It should always be a last resort. Ultimately, I don't think there's an easy answer for this. But there is definitely room for improvement from my perspective.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Turned on ESPN for Countdown and turned the channel. They're all over this tonight and I'm already tired of it.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #22
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

I would respect ESPN's coverage on this more if they didn't fire or suspend anyone who has a conservative opinion on things.
It was 10 guys kneeling last year when it was supposed to be about equality and rights, now that the NFL got its feelings hurt everyone is in on it.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Turned on ESPN for Countdown and turned the channel. They're all over this tonight and I'm already tired of it.
I don't turn on espn anymore for any reason outside of games. Disney is so pissed about the direction of espn...they will be sold within 12 months. They've made their bed.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
I would respect ESPN's coverage on this more if they didn't fire or suspend anyone who has a conservative opinion on things.
It was 10 guys kneeling last year when it was supposed to be about equality and rights, now that the NFL got its feelings hurt everyone is in on it.
Their biased is well documented

He Gets Us
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #25
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I will ask only once, watch the C word?

Love it

He Gets Us
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Love it
I don't,as the brother with four sister's and the father of three girls,it's nothing to laugh at.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I don't,as the brother with four sister's and the father of three girls,it's nothing to laugh at.
I'm sure as a Giants fan you're offended as well.

He Gets Us
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Well there's your first mistake. Why is their opinion any more relevant than yours, or ours? The only difference is they get paid to share theirs.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #29
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

My 2 cents on the whole anthem protest debate: I don't agree at all with even 1 person kneeling for the anthem. But I agree 100% with every single person's right to do it. I just think there are better ways to start a debate. Now, no one even knows what the debate is. Was this week for police brutality? Inequality? Or sticking it to Trump? As an example for Redskins specifically, I think a way better way to do it, would have been for a bunch of guys to lock arms in front of the Washington Monument. The media would still cover the hell out of it, and it wouldn't piss off half the fan base of your team. America is the best country in the world for a person of any race to live in. That's why way more people, both legally and illegally come here, than try to leave. The flag itself represents everything great about America. The problem isn't the flag, its people. We are all sinners and we all mess up. And whether kneeling is protesting the flag or not, that's how it comes across to a lot of people, myself included. America is awesome, but as long as there are people, there will be issues that need to be addressed, in every country, Americans included. And I don't think the media helps at all, on any side of the political spectrum. I get along with black people, hispanic people, asian people, etc. at the same rate I get along with white people, but the media (not all media, but most of mainstream) tries to make it seem like we're way further apart than we are together.

And I also think the narrative is all wrong across the whole spectrum. The biggest issues in the black community are the same as the biggest issues in the white community or any other community, its lack of having great parents, drugs, alcoholism, lack of personal responsibility, lack of access to great jobs, the government in DC helping themselves and not us. And there are more problems I'm missing. The biggest problems are not police brutality or inequality among citizens of this country, or racism.

My 1st solution towards America being even better than it is, is term limits. A fat cat job in DC for life was not what this country was founded on. People were supposed to serve their country for a few years, then go back to their lives and a job in the private sector. Now politicians 1st 2nd and 3rd goal is to get re-elected.

God bless America!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
irish
Playmaker

I wonder how many of these players voted in the last election? Kapernick couldn't be bothered which IMO makes his protest ring a bit hollow. I suspect less than 10% of these players actually voted so in some ways they are part of the problem not the solution.

How many of these players do anything to advance social justice and equality beyond taking a knee before a football game (which is the team's time not their own time)? I suspect that percentage is even lower than those who voted.

These players are willing to take a knee in protest before a game they are getting paid to attend but I doubt they would take a second of their own time to march in a protest or do something else to advance the cause of social justice and equality. This is 90% for show, 10% protest.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote