Garoppolo to the 49ers

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Garoppolo to the 49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm sort of not happy about the Jimmy G. deal because I'm a cousins Fan and was hoping that if he walks from here after this season (very likely), that he lands in San Fran. Now it kind of looks like if he doesn't get signed here, he will have his suitors but they are all shit teams. My buddy at work who is a skins fan thinks that Cousins could get signed by the Browns....that sure sucks to imagine Cousins being part of that shit show. I just don't see Kirk being a guy who is content to win 1 or 2 games a season...
Assuming we don't tag him, Cousins will choose where he wants to go. He will not choose Cleveland. Taking SF out of the mix greatly improves the chance we keep him for a few reasons.
1- cap and cash space just shifted dramatically in our favor. SF could have out paid both in total value and cash up front. Jax who I think would be a good fit has only 2M available in next year's cap right now. We have 58M but with a several one year deals to redo.
2- The KC Shanahan connection is now irrelevant. That means ego on all sides is tamped down a notch or two.
3- with the line back and rested KC should feel good about our chances and may have loyalty to Gruden since he has always been a KC supporter.

No one knows what will happen, but this deal ups our odds of keeping KC.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #17
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think SF knows they need much more than just a qb so that's y they made this trade now. We'll see if he's good or another Matt cassel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Dumb trade by 49ers. Why not ride the season out and draft a QB at the top of the draft
It was a brilliant move by the 49ers. They only gave up ONE second round pick for Jimmy G. ONE SECOND ROUND pick!! That is a freakin' bargain. Now the 49ers have all sorts of avenues in next year's draft, plus they have a quarterback who's learned from the GOAT. He's well established and ready to play. And not only that, the 49ers get to get him worked in this season. By next season, JG will know the system and be ready to go. The 49ers can now focus on rebuilding their offensive line and their defense.

And this is great for us! Greatly reduces Cousins' chances of moving on. I would be shocked if he went to Cleveland or NY Jets. The Cardinals could be a strong possibility as well as the Jags, but the leverage is strongly back in the 'skins favor in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hasn't hoodie pulled this trick before? How did that work out?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
That makes me think the hoodie knows something no one else does. Tom Brady is 40 and last time I checked father time was undefeated.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Weird thing about this, is Patriots now have traded both backups to Brady. Right now, they don't have a backup to Tom Brady listed on their depth chart (Garrapolo is still there but obviously he's gone)
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #22
over the mountain
Playmaker

I dont think this automatically means SF is going to sign Jimmy G long term.

We have seen very little from him in live action. There is a good chance Jimmy doesnt convince over the next 8 games or so and SF may want to look elsewhere.

Jimmy may be good but he may not. Good chance SF signs him long term, but they want to watch and wait.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
That makes me think the hoodie knows something no one else does. Tom Brady is 40 and last time I checked father time was undefeated.
Right...good point.....maybe Pats org have seen something they didn't like in the last 6 months to say, "hey we haven't seen the growth we expected. "

Hoodie has done this before

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Dumb trade by 49ers. Why not ride the season out and draft a QB at the top of the draft

This. Expect a contract extension soon.
JG has some good NFL game tape out there. None of the draft picks do. He's been around a winning organization for several years, that gamble is a lot better than going for Darnold or Rosen. Good move by the 49ers.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I mentioned this before, I think the market for KC is going to be slow. He's a good to very good QB at times that's probably a little overpaid. I think he comes back here and a deal eventually gets done.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #26
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I mentioned this before, I think the market for KC is going to be slow. He's a good to very good QB at times that's probably a little overpaid. I think he comes back here and a deal eventually gets done.
I agree, I think KC has always wanted to see what the market would be, and this year he should see it. Once he does, I think the Skins will have an offer on the table that matches or is better than anything else.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don't know. I mean, if Brady does play until he's 45, that's 5 more years that JG would have to wait to become a starter, and by then, he's 31 years old. Getting a second rounder is a good deal for the Patriots as much as it appears to be a good deal for the 49ers. And, it's a chance for Jimmy to show case his talent as a starter.

And maybe, Hoodie realizes that he doesn't want to coach past 5 more years? I mean, he's 65 years old now and has accomplished about everything a head coach can accomplish in the NFL. He doesn't have anything left to prove. We look at him as this evil Sith Lord, but he may in fact have JG's best interests in mind. I don't think there is necessarily anything going on that would be red flags. I think it was a straight up good deal for both teams.

Leaves the Patriots without a backup QB right now. Maybe Kapernick? (as Metalskins laughs and runs away!)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #28
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I don't know. I mean, if Brady does play until he's 45, that's 5 more years that JG would have to wait to become a starter, and by then, he's 31 years old. Getting a second rounder is a good deal for the Patriots as much as it appears to be a good deal for the 49ers. And, it's a chance for Jimmy to show case his talent as a starter.

And maybe, Hoodie realizes that he doesn't want to coach past 5 more years? I mean, he's 65 years old now and has accomplished about everything a head coach can accomplish in the NFL. He doesn't have anything left to prove. We look at him as this evil Sith Lord, but he may in fact have JG's best interests in mind. I don't think there is necessarily anything going on that would be red flags. I think it was a straight up good deal for both teams.

Leaves the Patriots without a backup QB right now. Maybe Kapernick? (as Metalskins laughs and runs away!)
Actually, I think the reason for the trade is that JG has been in the league for 4 years, and so Hoodie knows he will have to make a tough decision about keeping him before Brady is done (which, let's face it, isn't after this year or likely next). So trade JG when his stock is high and then move on to find the Brady replacement who you probably won't need for 3 years, and avoid overpaying for a backup in the interim. I do not think this trade is a reflection of a lack of confidence in JG; I think it is Hoodie being shrewd.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Brady is not playing until he's 45 that's a joke. Manning and favre thought the same thing.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Brady is not playing until he's 45 that's a joke. Manning and favre thought the same thing.

Maybe 2-3 more years, 5 definitely sounds like a big stretch.