High Schoolers to enter draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #29
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
If you get a court order to live in my house, I am forced by law to abide, you'd never get one because it's an unreasonable request, but it could happen. Golf Courses that are male only still have to hire females that are qualified due to equal oppurtunity employment.
That's exactly the point, Clarrett's request is unreasonable; he is seeking entry to the NFL (the house) when the NFL should be able to determine who and who cannot come in.

EOE doesn't offer sweeping protections; just look at bartenders, people who sell alcohol (i.e. owners of a liquor store), people who drive cars, people seeking to rent a car, people applying for certain senior jobs (that require say 10 years of work experience), people running for political office (i.e. President, Senator, Congressman), and a number of others.

Also, the NFL isn't prohibiting ther entry of young people because they hate those damn youngsters; it's because they believe that the NFL requires physical and emotional maturity which young people lack. That's why the University of Michigan's affirmative action program was held consitutional; it was not seeking people of different races simply because they didn't like white people, it was because they wanted to create a diverse environment that was conducive to learning about a variety of perspectives. This goers beyond someone's birth date, it has to do with maturity and Clarrett is no example of a responsible, wise-beyond his years guy.

I firmly believe that the Clarrett case will be overturned.

I think Daesal was referencing the anti-trust laws because the judge in the Clarrett case ruled the NFL had a monopoly on professional football and that it couldn't discriminate based on age.

However, that's a freaking ridiculous ruling for all the reasons I stated above.

NOTE: I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Daesal and Beems - you guys both need to tone it down a bit. I'm sorta the same way sometimes, but I try not to be. Let's discuss this stuff in a calm manner. Thanks for your cooperation and keep up the good posts and debate, just leave out personal attacks.

Last edited by Sheriff Gonna Getcha; 03-06-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote