Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap mess

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #31
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Re: Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap mess

Fry them all.

Truly bad form on the NFL, which seems to usually carry itself with some class. To initially approve the contracts, wait two years, spring a HUGE punishment on the league's biggest two teams, and to do it <24 hours before free agency so they couldn't prepare. Just poor poor form and they deserve to get crushed. Just stinks of owners trying to get back at us, and punish the team instead of the owner. If they did this 2 years ago, or even earlier this year would be one thing, but the way it was done was dirty.

I would fully support the team on this one, if public opininon means anything in this process.

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #32
SkinItup
Special Teams

this honestly makes me want to give up the nfl. A bunch of billionaires complaining the world isn't fair, the world isn't fair and they are already winning. the only way to hurt them is to stop feeding their money flow. that is all they understand.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #33
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Btw, of course I know the wounds were self-inflicted. That they "warned us", etc. However, just seems that:

1) Other teams also did similar but less bold moves
2) There were no written rules that we broke. If they wanted to have restrictions, they should have written them in there in the first place. For example, when they set the rules for the uncapped year, if they were that worried about competition, why did they have the uncapped in the first place.
3) Even if we did something wrong, their timing was just a jerk move to further punish the team without recourse.
4) I get the feeling that Bruce Allen made the moves (?), not Snyder this time, and generally Bruce is a likeable guy. I'd support him much more than just Snyder.
5) Biggest of all -- the punishments didn't fit the crime. For example, if we played by "their unwritten rules" -- the Haynesworth and Hall contracts would have been restructured and spread out over 5 years, etc --> so why are they forcing us to take the hit within 2 years? And if we are responsible for taking back the full cap hit of $36 million, WHY does every other team get additional money? Why give out additional money to anyone else at all? I'd bet it is so the other teams would vote against us, I'm sure.

Hope this gets resolved quickly, but if they actually pursue this, I can't imagine a decision for months to years, and the only help it could give us is next year. IF we win this somehow, it'd be nice to have more cap next year, when RG3 would be getting better and our team could be 1 year closer to being a contender.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
redskinsman18
Camp Scrub

I hope this gets resolved quickly. In my opinion the 'Skins have to go though with this move in order to have any chance of at least getting the penalty reduced. And I do think they will reduce it if the NFL feels this could damage the NFL shield in anyway.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
Evilgrin
The Starter

The NFL didn't look down the road on this, they should have left it alone.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #36
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I saw a funny post on ESPN. It said "If the NFL truly wanted to punish these two teams, they would raise their cap limit. It seems the more money they spend the worse they do." Of course that applies more under the Cerrato regime than what I have seen from Allen, but still thought it was funny.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
12thMan
MVP

From whichever angle you approach this it stinks to high heaven. But the fact that the NFL sprung this on the Redskins 24 hours before free agency has to be the most egregious and blatant of them all.

Now the NFL is on the verge of losing the PR battle because nobody - and I mean nobody -- does PR and spin better than Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. So while the NFL may be able to stand on some very flimsy legal justification, the optics are about to favor Jones and Snyder.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter-Tre View Post
The league should really play ball because the more this issue is examined, the more ridiculous they look. They sprang this punishment on the eve of free agency. They said the teams could spread the punishment over the next two years however they like and then reversed themselves and said at least half of the punishment had to be taken this season. They punished two teams for front loading contracts yet no punishment for the Bears who gave Julius Peppers a $20M base salary in 2010, dropping to $900k base salary in 2011. They didn't punish teams like the Bucs who exploited the absence of a minimum spending cap. Bottom line, they did not mete out punishments equally, they made the rules up as they went along, and waited two years to dole out "justice" on contracts the league approved!
Well put . At times the NFL , Owners and NFLPA are a joke , make you wonder why the NFLPA does't seem to care that Tampa spent less than the minimum on the cap in 2010 or '11 as I understand it ? If I were Synder , the visiting owners box would have to listen to " Hail to the Redskins " all day long at our home games the next two years !
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
skinsnut
Playmaker

The way I understand it...30 teams agreed to this punishment...so it is 30 vs 2.
The NFL is more of a club than a business.
How can the skins sue?....who are they suing?...the NFL?....they are the nfl?
The 32 owners are the NFL and the commissioner is paid by the owners.
How can you sue yourself?, the players association also agreed to approve it.
This is all legit the way the NFL/players association works.
Collusion is a different call...but you'd have to argue that was done to keep pay down..can't be argued this year since they kept the cap total the same...but could be argued during the non cap year...but think about it, is it really worth it?
Sure the Skins got screwed..but they are going to pay the cap hit they normally would have...the issue I have is a couple others got away with it on a smaller scale....and if you pursue a lawsuit, you will make enemies of those you depend on.
You really dont want the NFL a perpetual enemy of the Skins...think of penalties, fines, scheduling, supplemental draft picks, etc
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #40
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

If you don't believe owner's can't sue the NFL and win google Al Davis
Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
SBXVII
Franchise Player

The timing was bad. They knew what they were doing because had they done it sooner and the Skins won then the Skins would have bought every really good player up and they needed to prevent that. It worked. They got what they wanted.

I think they know they'll lose this fight but by the time the Skins make a move most of the really good players will be taken up by other teams in the name of "competativeness".

You all are right;

- Timing
- Amount
- Wrongness
- Lack of a Rule
- Collusion by the owners
- The Giants owner being the Cheif Exec on the board

What is the underlying message the NFL is sending?

-It's ok to break the law as long as everyone agrees
-If you don't go along with the majority you'll get bullied
-People who do the right thing get screwed in the end

I hope Snyder files the law suit, he can always drop it if the other owners agree to give back the other 18 mill they took away.

I also wonder what would happen of the players of the two teams filed individual law suits against the owners who colluded? The Union agreed to not file but the individual players did not.

I can only hope JJ does not tuck his tail and run and hope he stands beside DS in the fighting this injustice.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
From whichever angle you approach this it stinks to high heaven. But the fact that the NFL sprung this on the Redskins 24 hours before free agency has to be the most egregious and blatant of them all.

Now the NFL is on the verge of losing the PR battle because nobody - and I mean nobody -- does PR and spin better than Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. So while the NFL may be able to stand on some very flimsy legal justification, the optics are about to favor Jones and Snyder.
Well said. If nothing else, I hope we make The Shield look like a bunch of colluding d-bags, which is exactly what they are.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
Evilgrin
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
If you don't believe owner's can't sue the NFL and win google Al Davis
Someone on the radio mentioned Al's case in connection with this, and being in favor of the skins and cowboys. Does anyone understand it enough to explain?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #44
Counter-Tre
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
Someone on the radio mentioned Al's case in connection with this, and being in favor of the skins and cowboys. Does anyone understand it enough to explain?
In 1980, Davis attempted to move the Raiders to Los Angeles but was blocked by a court injunction. In response Davis filed an anti-trust suit against the NFL. In June 1982 a federal district court ruled in Davis' favor and the team officially relocated to Los Angeles for the 1982 NFL season. The parallell I would guess is that the Redskins did what they did to better their team and broke no league rules and by tampering with that, the NFL violated anti-trust laws which forbid taking actions that would be inhibit a franchise's ability to remain competitive.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well said. If nothing else, I hope we make The Shield look like a bunch of colluding d-bags, which is exactly what they are.
here in lies the problem. the skins are part of the collusion. just not in this case. seems to me the skins cant lose if they decide to sue. here's where our legal expert, joeredskin, should step up to the plate
Closed Thread