Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN Makes Up New QB Stat

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
mlmpetert
Playmaker

ESPN Makes Up New QB Stat

Sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully they will use it for college QB ratings too, I have ZERO idea on how to interrupt a college QB rating other then higher is better. Also what would be nice if you could break down the Total Quarterback Rating into the things that make up the total rating, so you could see how a QB rated at just passing or just running or just comebacks, ect., to me that would be cooler to look at.

Also Smoot if you can throw your weight around something ive always thought would be nice if people broke down interception stats. So maybe use the term Interception if a QB is at fault and Pick if a receiver is at fault. I hate seeing a interception that is clearly the fault of a WR get put on the QB's stat line.

ESPN tries to build a better quarterback rating | ProFootballTalk
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: ESPN Makes Up New QB Stat

Here's more from our press release

ESPN Introduces The Total Quarterback Rating | ESPN MediaZone

We'll have a show on ESPN Friday night at 8pm on this

Tweet your questions to @ESPNStatsInfo. We're answering them right now

And by we...I should clarify I have nothing to do with this. I know the guys working on it and they're great but it's not anything I work on
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

And by we...I should clarify I have nothing to do with this. I know the guys working on it and they're great but it's not anything I work on
Twitter makes my brain hurt.

Maybe you can answer this- will ESPN use this stat during their broadcasts of NFL games instead of the traditional QB rating system? Will they do both? Are they going to lobby the NFL to adopt this statistic over QB rating?

Regardless, I've always thought the QB rating thing was pretty flawed. I'm glad to see this development.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Twitter makes my brain hurt.

Maybe you can answer this- will ESPN use this stat during their broadcasts of NFL games instead of the traditional QB rating system? Will they do both? Are they going to lobby the NFL to adopt this statistic over QB rating?

Regardless, I've always thought the QB rating thing was pretty flawed. I'm glad to see this development.
They'll definitely use this. I don't really know if they'll just wipe away the traditional QB rating system for the telecasts. My guess is at least initially it may be a little of both to show the difference

Don't think they'd necessarily lobby the NFL to adopt this stat, but are encouraging other media to feel free to use it. Hence the name Total Quarterback Rating, not ESPN Total Quarterback Rating
Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
They'll definitely use this. I don't really know if they'll just wipe away the traditional QB rating system for the telecasts. My guess is at least initially it may be a little of both to show the difference

Don't think they'd necessarily lobby the NFL to adopt this stat, but are encouraging other media to feel free to use it. Hence the name Total Quarterback Rating, not ESPN Total Quarterback Rating
Yeah that's my feeling as well -- one really interesting development, according to what I've read about it, is that you can't have a 'perfect' quarterback rating according to the new system whereas in the old system, people could finish with 158.3 ratings i.e. perfect games.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Can I tweet "why do they let idiots like Matt Millen and Vinny Ceratto continue to talk about football?"
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Can I tweet "why do they let idiots like Matt Millen and Vinny Ceratto continue to talk about football?"
It's been done -- I always find it hilarious that the two guys most responsible for driving their respective franchises into the gutter (VC with us and Millen with Detroit) are quoted as experts.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
It's been done -- I always find it hilarious that the two guys most responsible for driving their respective franchises into the gutter (VC with us and Millen with Detroit) are quoted as experts.
Experts at driving their team into the ground maybe.

Apparantly Doug Farrar is hesitant to approve of ESPN's new qb rating system.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
EEich
The Starter

It's funny...I work at ESPN working on the stats database... and the producers haven't come to us yet to see if we can calculate this...
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich View Post
It's funny...I work at ESPN working on the stats database... and the producers haven't come to us yet to see if we can calculate this...
Just get it done dude. Just get it done
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully they will use it to the college QB rating too, I have ZERO idea on how to interrupt a college QB rating other then higher is better. Also what would be nice if you could break down the Total Quarterback Rating into the things that make up the total rating, so you could see how a QB rated at just passing or just running or just comebacks, ect.

Also Smoot if you can throw your weight around something ive always thought would be nice if people broke down interception stats. So maybe use the term Interception if a QB is at fault and Pick if a receiver is at fault. I hate seeing a interception that is clearly the fault of a WR get put on the QB's stat line.

ESPN tries to build a better quarterback rating | ProFootballTalk
That last paragraph is an excellent point. Not all interceptions are the qb's fault and should be interpreted as such. What if you could attribute interceptions to someone besides a quarterback, or a player acting as a quarterback on a specific play, like a running back or a wide receiver that throws the ball.

Say, for instance that play last year where the ball was thrown perfectly to Moss, and when it hit his hands it bounced straight up in the air and got picked off, well what if that interception could be attributed to Moss on his stat sheet and not to the quarterback, when it clearly wasn't his fault?

Now, naturally you'd have to make a distinction between when a receiver tries to catch the ball, but screws it up and it gets picked, and when a receiver acts as a quarterback in trying to throw the ball, and it gets picked, but at least that way the pick would be attributed to the proper player instead of it being solely the quarterback's fault.

Curious to see if this system will catch on. Also curious to know why they didn't include handoffs in the rating as well, since handoffs are an important part of a quarterback's job. Let's say there's an instance where the handoff between the qb and the rb screws up and the ball gets fumbled, and it is equally both players fault, but it gets attributed to the rb instead, that should be fixed as well. I understand qb rating should be fixed, but other stats need to be fixed too.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

My understanding is who is really at fault for the interception will be factored into the equation
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
My understanding is who is really at fault for the interception will be factored into the equation
That's easily factored in as a digital 1 or 0.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Jaws was involved in making it. Personally thats good enough for me.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Didn't we hear something about this during last year? I was reading this article on ESPN from Mike Sando and it felt like deja vu. Also interesting to ponder this list that was announced in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sando
I've seen an outline for the rating system breaking down 2010 quarterbacks into six general categories, from top tier to poor. Precise rating numbers were not yet available. The quarterbacks under consideration broke down as follows:
Top tier: Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Michael Vick, Rodgers and Drew Brees.
Well above average: Josh Freeman, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.
Above average: Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, David Garrard and Kerry Collins.
Around average: Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Colt McCoy, Kyle Orton and Jon Kitna.
Below average: Shaun Hill, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Chad Henne, Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford and Alex Smith.
Poor: Derek Anderson, Brett Favre and Jimmy Clausen.
Curious to know if this changes people's opinions about Kyle Orton. A lot of people, including myself, were of the opinion that he was at least slightly above average last year. I guess this takes into account that a lot of his yards were garbage time yards because the Broncos played from behind a lot of the time.