JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: Coles refusing to rework contract

I totally agree.

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #17
offiss

The way to deal with Brunell is to bury him as the 3rd string backup, he believes he can still play and start in this league, well he ain't doing either, he might be willing to return some of his bonus as well to get out we will see how much confidence he has in his abilities or if he's just going to hang on for a paycheck, but we have to start purging and rid ourselves of some of these mistakes.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #18
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

i've been pondering this for a bit...

and i think the Skins best scenerio is, to keep him, play him, and make him the #1 receiver in the NFL.

sounds crazy right? skins can't trade without a restructure...he doesn't want to, and we can't release him without significant cap problems. so keep him, have him honor his contract, and throw the ball deep to him. Gibbs will open the playbook this year, and you will see more downfield throwing. Make Coles the deep threat, sign Mason to make him possession, and have Thrash and Jacobs in 3 and 4 sets...and go with it.

right now, there are only a handful of teams that might be willing to take a chance. his toe is the biggest concern on everyone's mind, and unless we can get Abraham from the Jets, the best we'll be able to do is like 2nd round or lower.

if he has a big year, scores 4-9 TDs, gets another 90 catches, for 1500 yards...he'll be even more profitable next year, then ship him out.

we do have other pressing needs right now, and should focus on them, as opposed to a hard working guy who is using a prima donna card right now.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #19
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
The way to deal with Brunell is to bury him as the 3rd string backup, he believes he can still play and start in this league, well he ain't doing either, he might be willing to return some of his bonus as well to get out we will see how much confidence he has in his abilities or if he's just going to hang on for a paycheck, but we have to start purging and rid ourselves of some of these mistakes.
I want to disagree with you somewhat. Brunell was a mistake. Lav Coles (the asshole) was not a mistake. I dont think anyone can argue that he is a top talent. He simply does not get the ball in a position to do anything with it. He's tough, he's got good hands, he can block, his speed is above average right now, and his route running is average because of the toe injury. And we do pay him alot, but we can still use him if we cant get something for him. Releasing him for nothing but cap space is a bit of a joke to me.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #20
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
If we can't work a trade I'm starting to think we should just tell him to suck it up and honor his contract.
You know Matty I'm starting to think the same way. Even if the guy gives back $6M, he'll still count $3M against our 2005 cap, but we won't have the player. If we can't get something back in return then maybe we just keep him for the same $3M cap hit and let him stew on the bench all year.

When his cap hit becomes $7M in 2006, then maybe we dump him. He'll have lost a year of playing time by then, be seen as a malcontent, and his market value will only go down.

I can't believe I'm bad mouthing Lav like this, but Matty's right, it's enough already.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
I want to disagree with you somewhat. Brunell was a mistake. Lav Coles (the asshole) was not a mistake. I dont think anyone can argue that he is a top talent. He simply does not get the ball in a position to do anything with it. He's tough, he's got good hands, he can block, his speed is above average right now, and his route running is average because of the toe injury. And we do pay him alot, but we can still use him if we cant get something for him. Releasing him for nothing but cap space is a bit of a joke to me.

Mistake for Coles is the wrong word it was a good signing at the time, obviously for a # of reason's it hasen't worked out but we have to now look to restructure our cap number's and it start's with Cole's, Brunell, and Samuel's, out of which Coles is the only player amoung them but between his toe and our offense it's time to strike a deal if he really want's out then he has to accomadate otherwise I will have to assume thing's are not as bad as he is making them out to be.

Gibb's should aproach Brunell and come to some kind of compromise, Brunell is just a thorn in the side at this point, my guess is just like Gibb's reluctance to pull him last year he's going to hang on to him to sometime down the road try to justify his signing.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

I think Coles has worked out great, personally. He had 1200 yards in his first year, and 90 catches last year. That's why I'm so shocked and upset to be losing him, he was producing. Even last year when the passing offense was terrible, he had a better than average year by NFL standards.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #23
Monksdown
The Starter

I like the idea of making him honor his contract if he wont let us trade him.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Are there any financial incentives based on things like touchdowns, yards per catch, Pro Bowl selections, that Coles didn't get this year that he's frustrated about.

Could his frustration with the offense be attributed to him not having a chance to pocket more money?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #25
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
I like the idea of making him honor his contract if he wont let us trade him.
I do too and according to the Post, he'll play if he isn't traded or cut.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #26
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

What's with the idea of trading him to the Jets for Abraham? Just what we need, a malcontent who nurses an injury after being cleared to play and won't even participate in a PLAYOFF GAME!!!!! Say what you want about TO, he was out there in the SB just weeks after breaking his leg.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #27
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Well, well, well! Look who was right!

http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread...5466#post65466

Are you reading this Schneed? Hate to say 'I told you so' but. . .
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #28
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
This little blurb in the Times should make us feel a little better

As for Coles, I don't understand what he's thinking. If he wants outta here so badly he's gonna have to work with the team on this. And that means giving up his bonus, there's just no way we can afford to take a $9M cap hit for him.

If we can't work a trade I'm starting to think we should just tell him to suck it up and honor his contract.

This is just ridiculous.
I agree Matty.......Coles has to make a decision:

1. Does he want to keep his precious bonus??? OR
2. Does he want to get traded???

He can't have BOTH..........
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #29
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

monk91:

Oh, but he can have both but not at the same time. All he has to do is to stay here and keep his money in his pocket. Then his toe has to flare up just as training camp begins and not get better. (Do the names Barrow and Arrington ring any bells with you?) Then he goes into the next off-season with a big cap number staring the team in the face and a receiver with a sore - but well rested toe. And he says again next year that he wants out...

How much would he cost the Skins as a part time WR who maybe has to go on IR? See, he knows that number too and he knows that if he sits on that number, that will make Danny Boy's free agency whirlwind circus a lot more constrained than Danny Boy wants it to be.

BTW, Coles does not want to be traded; he wants to be released as an unrestricted free agent. It's the Skins that want to trade him and he says he won't give them any bonus money unless he's released. Maybe he doesn't trust Danny Boy to make a trade that he (Coles) will like. I wouldn't. And since all I have to do to keep collecting some heavy bread is to show up for a few meetings until training camp starts in July, I can tell them what I want and not settle for much of anything less than that.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #30
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
monk91:

Oh, but he can have both but not at the same time. All he has to do is to stay here and keep his money in his pocket. Then his toe has to flare up just as training camp begins and not get better. (Do the names Barrow and Arrington ring any bells with you?) Then he goes into the next off-season with a big cap number staring the team in the face and a receiver with a sore - but well rested toe. And he says again next year that he wants out...

How much would he cost the Skins as a part time WR who maybe has to go on IR? See, he knows that number too and he knows that if he sits on that number, that will make Danny Boy's free agency whirlwind circus a lot more constrained than Danny Boy wants it to be.

BTW, Coles does not want to be traded; he wants to be released as an unrestricted free agent. It's the Skins that want to trade him and he says he won't give them any bonus money unless he's released. Maybe he doesn't trust Danny Boy to make a trade that he (Coles) will like. I wouldn't. And since all I have to do to keep collecting some heavy bread is to show up for a few meetings until training camp starts in July, I can tell them what I want and not settle for much of anything less than that.
That was my mistake.....your correct, he does not want to be traded......he wants to be released. Yes he can play the IR game and he has the toe to do it. BUT if he sits on the bench and uses his toe as an excuse....won't it make teams gun shy about signing him since his that the toe is already a concern????
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote