Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

#22 Rogers!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: #22 Rogers!

I have a curiosity about the play where Carlos missed on the interception. It would appear from the replay that Carlos actually caught the ball and his off-balance momentum carried him to the ground on his backside. When he hit the ground the ball came lose and the ruling on the field was incomplete, because the rule states the player must maintain possession throughout the process, even after hitting the ground.

Now this is what I'm curious about: The Colts challenged the play saying that Rogers caught the ball and the play should have been ruled an interception and fumble, recoverered by the Colts. Had the official actually reversed the ruling on the field and found that Rogers did indeed catch the ball and fumbled it after hitting the ground, then the results of the Colts challenge would have presented an interesting dilema.

The ruling is, the ground can't cause a fumble. When Carlos went to the ground he wasn't down by contact. I'm curious about what would have been the outcome of the challenge had the replay official actually agreed with the Colts initial contention that Rogers caught the ball and then fumbled it.....A challenge by the Colts that would have actually worked to the benefit of the Redskins?

Advertisements
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Since they can follow the play through the fumble and see if possession is clear then they could have ruled INT fumble and recovery by Indianapolis. I was sure that was going to be the ruling and thus even when Los got an INT we still got nada. Fortunately he did not hold on.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I've been counting this season, and after 6 games, Rogers has dropped 5 INTs where he had his hands on the ball, two of which would have iced victories. Dude would be great if he could catch even 50% of his chances.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I have a curiosity about the play where Carlos missed on the interception. It would appear from the replay that Carlos actually caught the ball and his off-balance momentum carried him to the ground on his backside. When he hit the ground the ball came lose and the ruling on the field was incomplete, because the rule states the player must maintain possession throughout the process, even after hitting the ground.

Now this is what I'm curious about: The Colts challenged the play saying that Rogers caught the ball and the play should have been ruled an interception and fumble, recoverered by the Colts. Had the official actually reversed the ruling on the field and found that Rogers did indeed catch the ball and fumbled it after hitting the ground, then the results of the Colts challenge would have presented an interesting dilema.

The ruling is, the ground can't cause a fumble. When Carlos went to the ground he wasn't down by contact. I'm curious about what would have been the outcome of the challenge had the replay official actually agreed with the Colts initial contention that Rogers caught the ball and then fumbled it.....A challenge by the Colts that would have actually worked to the benefit of the Redskins?
The NFL introduced this flukey rule in the last 10 years that a receiver or a defender must maintain possession even after hitting the ground when falling to the ground as a single act following the catch. By this new definition of what constitutes a catch, Butch Johnson's TD in Super Bowl XIII would have been an incompletion. That said, if a receiver or defender makes a 2nd act after the catch, tucking the ball away, cutting upfield, tripping on his own, falling, then fumbling, then the ground can most certainly cause a fumble.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere that someone said the coaches say that Rogers catches everything in practice, its just on Sundays his hands blow.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #21
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere that someone said the coaches say that Rogers catches everything in practice, its just on Sundays his hands blow.
Someone tell his hands that it is Tuesday or Wednesday.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #22
The Goat
Pro Bowl

As long as we don't EVER pay him much Los is a keeper. For all practical purposes he has exactly zero playmaking ability, and when his skill sets tapers off just a tad from age he'll be almost useless. Sooo if a franchise is willing to throw money at him...let's give him a round of silent applause lol.

...extend him on the cheap and upgrade FS
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
As long as we don't EVER pay him much Los is a keeper. For all practical purposes he has exactly zero playmaking ability, and when his skill sets tapers off just a tad from age he'll be almost useless. Sooo if a franchise is willing to throw money at him...let's give him a round of silent applause lol.

...extend him on the cheap and upgrade FS
I totally agree on only retaining Rogers for the right price. Hall got paid because he made more plays in half a season here in 2008 than Rogers has made his entire career.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #24
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

I believe he catches everything in practice. I think its in his head too much on sundays when considering all the previous drops, and he just thinks about it too much.
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
this thread deserves this

Carlos deserves those for each of the picks he dropped last game.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

I have a hard time believing he catches everything in practice.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #27
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
The NFL introduced this flukey rule in the last 10 years that a receiver or a defender must maintain possession even after hitting the ground when falling to the ground as a single act following the catch. By this new definition of what constitutes a catch, Butch Johnson's TD in Super Bowl XIII would have been an incompletion. That said, if a receiver or defender makes a 2nd act after the catch, tucking the ball away, cutting upfield, tripping on his own, falling, then fumbling, then the ground can most certainly cause a fumble.
*As long as he's not contacted by an opponent.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

I'd have to see it with my own two eyes. Cause the boy couldn't catch a damn football during a game if his life depended on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba305-ST21- View Post
I believe he catches everything in practice. I think its in his head too much on sundays when considering all the previous drops, and he just thinks about it too much.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
*As long as he's not contacted by an opponent.
Correct.

Although I will say that was the longest timed drop of an INT I have ever witnessed.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

This thread lacks a real issue.

Therefore, I suggest that the problem is not Rogers' hands, the problem is the shape of the ball. The NFL needs to adopt a round ball like in volleyball. Discuss.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote