Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Free Agency Plan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: WFT Free Agency Plan

Building through the draft and not chasing free agents is always a smart approach.

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #47
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I was being a bit over dramatic .. but starting CB has become a major need now. I would have matched the 3/30 for Darby and pursue William Jackson.

I trust RR .. but Im starting to wonder if he and his old school buddies are applying an old school approach to a new school of cap and FA.

With the low cap this year, us in better cap position than most and the cap taking off after this year ... I think we may be behind the times.
I think it is actually a forward thinking approach so far. Just because you have a lot of cap space, doesn't mean you have to go and sign a bunch of bad contracts.

They can upgrade without overspending. There are still plenty of candidates out there that can help this team, but by not overspending they position themselves to retain some of their own core players in the next couple years.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #48
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think it is actually a forward thinking approach so far. Just because you have a lot of cap space, doesn't mean you have to go and sign a bunch of bad contracts.

They can upgrade without overspending. There are still plenty of candidates out there that can help this team, but by not overspending they position themselves to retain some of their own core players in the next couple years.
I mostly agree with you, I think Im playing devils advocate to a degree here ... but I question if this current FO is capable of retaining their core players.

Tagging Scherff 2 years in a row is a FO failure.
No word on an Allen extension
No word on a Thomas extension
They let Darby walk
They did resign Roullier

Maybe Scherff and Allens camp said they want to get to the 2022 cap before entertaining contract talks.

If we go into next season carrying over anything more than 5M in cap .. thats a FO failure.

Lots of time and players left ... Id feel a lot better if they were able to extend Scherff, Allen and Thomas though. Until they do, they havent retained their core.

im getting an old man approach vibe to a modern and changing way of dealing with the cap.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
GridIron26
Playmaker

It takes both parties to work out an extension. There isn't much WFT can do if those players and/or their agents want to wait on the extension.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #50
MTK
\m/

Not hearing any word doesn't mean things aren't in the works behind the scenes. I'm sure Allen and Thomas are both high priorities. As for Darby last year was the first time he played all 16 games. For the $$ he got from Denver I can't hate letting him walk. He earned a nice payday but odds are he will get hurt again sooner rather than later.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #51
SunnySide
Playmaker

I agree with what you guys are saying .. but Im getting the feeling this FO only offers team friendly deals.

Darby 3/30/20 should have been easy enough for this team to pull off.

We'll see, lots of time and moves to be made.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #52
MTK
\m/

Financially of course they could have matched the Darby deal. Do you feel confident he's going to be available for let's say 42 of his next 48 regular season games though? His injury history is pretty significant. Odds aren't in his favor.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #53
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Financially of course they could have matched the Darby deal. Do you feel confident he's going to be available for let's say 42 of his next 48 regular season games though? His injury history is pretty significant. Odds aren't in his favor.
We got lucky Darby gave us 16+1, no doubt, and I wondered if he was a Dunbar type player that wouldnt play through pain .. but hes on a 2/20M deal basically. 4M cap hit this year, then 13M next year.

All these teams are pushing money to next year and beyond .. its almost like they know the cap will be 220 next year then 240 the year after that.

Cap is tied to NFL revenue and these new TV deals are going to hit the books next year.

Why wouldnt you give Darby 2/20?

edit - our season isnt ruined bc of darby, we should be able to find a new Darby this offseason and im coming off more fanatic than I actually am .. but RR needs to address CB and WR in a big way.

edit edit -- I would have also done the Hunter Henry deal. 3/37.5/25 with the 25 probably coming in the first 2 years .. below value imo.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #54
MTK
\m/

Maybe they like a few guys they feel they can get in the draft? Maybe they just don't like his medicals long term and feel like rolling the dice again on him won't pay off? Who knows.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #55
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

So I’m assuming some big cuts by the 5-6 teams still over the cap by 4 tomorrow? Might be advantageous to wait to see who becomes available

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:58 PM   #56
MTK
\m/

I guess we have our answer as to why they let Darby walk, they wanted an upgrade
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #57
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Well that's 2 signings I had on my list that I like. With Henry and Smith gone, I'd like to see Everett picked up. They can then concentrate on OL, WR, LB and S with the remainder of FA and the draft, plus whatever depth we can add elsewhere. So far I like what we're doing in FA a lot.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #58
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Building through the draft and not chasing free agents is always a smart approach.
Amen. Or being judicious with your FAs.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jackson was targeted 69 times and allowed just 36 catches and 3 tds.

I'll take that production vs WR1s all day
Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #60
SunnySide
Playmaker

So happy we signed William Jackson. I was worried we go late offseason vet signing at corner.

WR Rashard Higgins
LB Jayon Brown
LB KJ Wright

Draft LT Darrisaw at 19
Draft a WR and TE in rounds 2-4

??

Profit!