Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Fitzmagic Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: The week one starting QB will be...
Fitzpatrick 25 52.08%
Allen 8 16.67%
Heinicke 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #226
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Fitzmagic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Shocked, no. But I don't think Ron will have a short leash with him either. RF will have to play himself out of the job (meaning at least 2-3 rough starts in a row) and I don't see that happening with the talent he's going to have around him.
The D will bail RF out too, he can still have a bad day and we can still win, which might help his job security a little.

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #227
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Agree which is why chasing this "future QB" is fools gold. I am sure that KC is thinking about their future QB because there are no guarantees about how much longer Mahommes plays. WFT looked like it had its QB future locked up back in 2012 until RG3 got hurt and nothing was the same after that.

I would say there is no way KC is thinking about their future quarterback. Lol. I mean sure anything could happen but ya cant base your teams future on what if’s. RG-3 was different. He was never the passer Mahommes is. Not even close. I remember in 2012 people saying RG-3 ‘s style is not sustainable plus we had Cousins. Just a completely different situation. The idea is just to have a young solid quarterback and have that position wrapped up for the foreseeable future, and hope that nothing catastrophic happens to the dude.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #228
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Shocked, no. But I don't think Ron will have a short leash with him either. RF will have to play himself out of the job (meaning at least 2-3 rough starts in a row) and I don't see that happening with the talent he's going to have around him.

Yeah I would tend to agree but shit happens and honestly im not convinced Heineken cannot be a stud if he stays healthy. He really left an impression on me after making an awesome defense look silly. But hey if Fitz balls out im absolutely good with that. I like Fitz alot.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #229
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Yeah I would tend to agree but shit happens and honestly im not convinced Heineken cannot be a stud if he stays healthy. He really left an impression on me after making an awesome defense look silly. But hey if Fitz balls out im absolutely good with that. I like Fitz alot.
Agreed. Heinicke made an impression on me too. I'm hoping he has the chance to demonstrate that it was down to innate ability and not just a one off because if that happens we have our guy for the future, with more than capable back up from Fitz for 2021
Brummie Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #230
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I would say there is no way KC is thinking about their future quarterback. Lol. I mean sure anything could happen but ya cant base your teams future on what if’s. RG-3 was different. He was never the passer Mahommes is. Not even close. I remember in 2012 people saying RG-3 ‘s style is not sustainable plus we had Cousins. Just a completely different situation. The idea is just to have a young solid quarterback and have that position wrapped up for the foreseeable future, and hope that nothing catastrophic happens to the dude.
Hindsight about RG3 is 20/20 but at the time everyone in WFT nation thought the QB spot was locked up for the foreseeable future. Turns out that future was less that 2 years.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #231
oldfan
Camp Scrub

Fitz has failed everywhere he has gone and has been replaced. What makes anyone think this time is going to e any different?
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #232
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Fitz has failed everywhere he has gone and has been replaced. What makes anyone think this time is going to e any different?
He was having a decent year in Miami last year.

At best I expect a decent year. At worst I expect an average close to what our combined qb's did last year.

Alls I know is it should be entertaining, hopefully mostly good and a few "wtf kinda throw was that Fitz" moments mixed in.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #233
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

He has played his best ball over the last couple years and we actually have a pretty good team in place around him. This is a one year stop gap at the moment and he cannot be worse than Haskins or a broken Alex Smith so that is why I am holding out hope. Add in Heineken and I think we have the best quarterback squad since 2012.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #234
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
If Fitz has been a failure everywhere he’s gone, what do you call QBs that wash out and don’t get extended or even get an opportunity to play for a second club, much less 9?!
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #235
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Hindsight about RG3 is 20/20 but at the time everyone in WFT nation thought the QB spot was locked up for the foreseeable future. Turns out that future was less that 2 years.

Definitely thought we were good to go, though there were mumblings in the background saying his style and his build were not sustainable.
I still dont think you give up on chasing the quarterback though. Probably 75 percent of championship teams during the Superbowl era had that guy. Off the top of my head there is Williams, Rypien, Dilfer, Foles, and Jim McMahon that didn’t fit that franchise quarterback mold. Rodgers, Aikman, Bradshaw, Brady, Montana , Young, Breese, Mahommes, Warner, Staubach, Wilson, Favre, Big Ben - those are off the top of my head that did fit the mold. It is probably 75-80 percent of Superbowl champions that do. So history says you gotta have that guy, or you gotta have everything else and catch lightning in a bottle with a journeyman type.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #236
mike340
Special Teams

Quote:
Definitely thought we were good to go, though there were mumblings in the background saying his style and his build were not sustainable.
I still dont think you give up on chasing the quarterback though. Probably 75 percent of championship teams during the Superbowl era had that guy. Off the top of my head there is Williams, Rypien, Dilfer, Foles, and Jim McMahon that didn’t fit that franchise quarterback mold. Rodgers, Aikman, Bradshaw, Brady, Montana , Young, Breese, Mahommes, Warner, Staubach, Wilson, Favre, Big Ben - those are off the top of my head that did fit the mold. It is probably 75-80 percent of Superbowl champions that do. So history says you gotta have that guy, or you gotta have everything else and catch lightning in a bottle with a journeyman type.
Don't forget Unitas, Manning, and Manning. Not to mention Joey T. Where would you put those? (So far you've considered all our QBs to be journeymen.)

Various notes:

On RG3: everybody was always commenting that he just couldn't learn how to slide.

It looks like we've been putting more focus on intelligence in our QBs. Alex Smith entered college with ~12 APs and graduated in 2 years, Heineke takes serious math classes, Fitzmagic went to Harvard.

Heineke kept on hitting his receivers in the hands. On the first miss Sims stopped on the route. I'm hoping we get a left tackle to protect our QB investment(s). And I think if it was a less important game Heineke wouldn't have risked getting injured on his run, as I have to think he is smarter than that. With Fitzmagic in, Heineke has more chance to bulk up which should help in terms of injury.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #237
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike340 View Post
Don't forget Unitas, Manning, and Manning. Not to mention Joey T. Where would you put those? (So far you've considered all our QBs to be journeymen.)

Various notes:

On RG3: everybody was always commenting that he just couldn't learn how to slide.

It looks like we've been putting more focus on intelligence in our QBs. Alex Smith entered college with ~12 APs and graduated in 2 years, Heineke takes serious math classes, Fitzmagic went to Harvard.

Heineke kept on hitting his receivers in the hands. On the first miss Sims stopped on the route. I'm hoping we get a left tackle to protect our QB investment(s). And I think if it was a less important game Heineke wouldn't have risked getting injured on his run, as I have to think he is smarter than that. With Fitzmagic in, Heineke has more chance to bulk up which should help in terms of injury.
I'm not sure why people think he has to "bulk up". I think he's bigger than Russell Wilson & Drew Brees, and probably around the same size as Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray...

He's fine, just appears to be prone to injury. Another 10-15 pounds won't mitigate that.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #238
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm not sure why people think he has to "bulk up". I think he's bigger than Russell Wilson & Drew Brees, and probably around the same size as Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray...

He's fine, just appears to be prone to injury. Another 10-15 pounds won't mitigate that.
More muscle strength helps reduce some injury risk, especially around joints. It won't make a massive difference, but if he were to strengthen his shoulder and knee musculature in particular it would help him. As long as he doesn't reduce his arm strength/speed (by bulking slower muscle fibres). It's not a matter of bulking up, per se, it's about the right type of targeted training to improve the strength of the respective muscle types you want to improve. be very surprised if the S&F coach isn't helping him already, given his injury history.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #239
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not saying to give up on looking for a franchise QB because having one makes a huge difference. What I'm saying is worrying about chasing a QB at the expense of everything else. The key is to have a legit pro QB for every season no matter how you get him. This year WFT has a legit pro QB, they didn't last year.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #240
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I'm not saying to give up on looking for a franchise QB because having one makes a huge difference. What I'm saying is worrying about chasing a QB at the expense of everything else. The key is to have a legit pro QB for every season no matter how you get him. This year WFT has a legit pro QB, they didn't last year.

100 percent agree with this take. Maybe misunderstood before? I am much happier about our quarterback room now than i was last year at this time. I also was not in favor of selling or trading the farm for Watson. I would prefer to get our guy in the draft no doubt.