Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

play calling???

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Re: play calling???

The playcalling was neither horrible nor great; it was just okay. The run wasn't working and I wish Zorn had called more passing plays. I realize you have to run the ball, even if you're getting 1 or 2 yards per carry, but we should have aired it out a bit more. I also don't understand why we don't use our redzone threats (e.g., Davis and Kelly) in the redzone.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
The playcalling was neither horrible nor great; it was just okay. The run wasn't working and I wish Zorn had called more passing plays. I realize you have to run the ball, even if you're getting 1 or 2 yards per carry, but we should have aired it out a bit more. I also don't understand why we don't use our redzone threats (e.g., Davis and Kelly) in the redzone.
I respectfully disagree. The play calling was horrendous. We ran on every first down but two until our final possession. We ran left 90% of the time when we ran. We ran stretch after stretch after stretch. The WR screen to the short side of the field at the 6 lard line on 2nd and goal was beyond terrible.

I'm convinced the formula for an effective offense is 65:35 pass, Campbell primarily from the shotgun. He was 14-17, 171, TD against the Giants from the gun. I am going to try to track that over the 1st half of the season and see how it bears itself out and if Zorn recognizes it as well and adjusts accordingly.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I'm fine with CP, but I would very much like to see some 1st down play action.

Still, CP is a big part of what we do--when he rolls, it really opens things up. He was a 1400 yard back last year--we need to get the most out of him.

Some of this is on the gints, who do have a great front.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

I thought the playcalling was horrendous as well. Too predictable. They ran on first down too much and majority of the time they ran left. Mix up pass/run on first down. In the multiple wide receiver sets, they lined up Betts at wide out. What does Marko Mitchell have to do, to get into the lineup?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
I thought the playcalling was horrendous as well. Too predictable. They ran on first down too much and majority of the time they ran left. Mix up pass/run on first down. In the multiple wide receiver sets, they lined up Betts at wide out. What does Marko Mitchell have to do, to get into the lineup?
Sorry to piggyback your post but I failed to mention something else that you reminded me of. The Giants had 3 active CB on Sunday. THREE! If that doesn't scream 4-5 WR and run those bastards all over the field then what does? That's what a coach who is dialed in and in attack mode does. See a weakness, exploit the hell out of it and don't let up. He helped a wounded team by not attacking it's vulnerability.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Wow Jason Campbell went from wearing Shackles to wearing Handcuffs. We really need to get away from these such idiot statements when referring to any player whether Black or White. Im not saying anyone is racists but maybe ignorant would be the better choice. We are all fans and many different races lets be more understantding to one another. Thanks GridIron.

P.S. The Shackles statement was from (Roth).
We don't need to do a GD thing! We're beyond thinking in racial terms. It appears your not. In case you haven't noticed, 75% of the league is black. If you want to imply that we're ignorant or racist go up to Filth-a-delphia were that BS belongs. If anything I said hurts your racially sensitive feelings, good. Go join Nightlight.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Interesting article on Redskins.com about the play calling For Zorn, Play Calling Remains a Balancing Act.

Weisman kinda tip toes around outright questioning Zorn's play calling on Sunday but he still asked some of the same questions we have. It's disturbing that Zorn was talking about 'I didn't want to go away from the run'. How about going towards some points? That's the stubbornness that I think is going to get him replaced.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Wow Jason Campbell went from wearing Shackles to wearing Handcuffs. We really need to get away from these such idiot statements when referring to any player whether Black or White. Im not saying anyone is racists but maybe ignorant would be the better choice. We are all fans and many different races lets be more understantding to one another. Thanks GridIron.

P.S. The Shackles statement was from (Roth).
FUCK YOU! People are way too sensitive, its a figure of speech you dipshit! I am black you dumbass, get over it already!
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I'm a big CP fan, and there's no doubt that he's as tough as they come. That said, dude looked SLOW on Sunday. Even on that first big run, I thought "man, he looks like he's really lumbering on this gain". I don't know how much of that is due to him being tight, not really in game shape, age, or what -- but I think he's probably lost a half of a step, maybe more.

The stats are impressive but the one you're forgetting is the number of touches and attempts it took CP to rack up those yards last year -- 342 carries! Only Peterson and Turner had more last season and those guys have significantly fewer miles on them than CP does. In 2007 he led all running backs in attempts. In 2005, he was 4th.

We run the *hell* out of Portis, and that does not come without a price.
I have never thought CP was a fast open field runner from the start. He breaks out for big plays but there is always someone catching him from behind on the other team. I can only think of his first carry as a skin where he broke it out into the open field and no one ran him down. I still think CP is a great back but he is just not that fast in the open field.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #25
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
Im amazed that some have said we needed to run CP more. Outside of the 1st run, it was just 2-3 yards at a time, and that isnt gonna cut it, the playcalling was pathetic IMO. I wanna see Zorn take the shackles off Campbell, and let him air it out more. Lets see more shotgun, more 4wide sets, more 2TE sets, and more medium/deep passes. The NFL has become a passing league, the days of wearing teams down with the run game are gone. It used to be establish the run to set up the pass, its the other way around now. They teased us in the preseason, then we get to the real game and we take 1 lousy shot downfield. The "west coast offense" is getting old and frustrating quickly IMO. Campbell has the big arm, lets give him a chance to use it. It wont matter soon, if he stays with the current trend they both will be looking for new jobs.
Until the last drive, the Skins had more runs than passes. That is inexplicable considering they were losing the entire time and averaging 2 yards a carry. We need answers, damnit
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
FUCK YOU! People are way too sensitive, its a figure of speech you dipshit! I am black you dumbass, get over it already!
Now thats funny.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Interesting article on Redskins.com about the play calling For Zorn, Play Calling Remains a Balancing Act.

Weisman kinda tip toes around outright questioning Zorn's play calling on Sunday but he still asked some of the same questions we have. It's disturbing that Zorn was talking about 'I didn't want to go away from the run'. How about going towards some points? That's the stubbornness that I think is going to get him replaced.
Pass your way into the lead and run to hold onto it. How hard is that?!?! Teams like the Pats, Eagles and even the Steelers will have almost as many runs as passes when the game is over, but you'll notice they tend to load up on the run in the second half after they have built up a lead. The fact that Zorn called more run plays than pass plays until the last drive is mind boggling. THEY WERE PLAYING FROM BEHIND!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Ok, let's all calm down now
Old 09-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Ok, let's all calm down now
Yes sir, just needed to put that out there after the "idiotic" comment for my friend who cant spell!
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Black on black crime on a website celebrating a team whose case was asked to be escalated to the Supreme Court (The Associated Press: Indians ask Supreme Court if 'Redskins' offends) for being racially insensitive. Can't we all just get along? Don't make me call Jesse!