Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #31
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Re: Stock UP; Stock DOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Yes, it's time to fix this problem. They can say they want to run the ball better (and that leads to running it more) but talk is cheap. If they really want to run the ball well, they need to use a fullback and they need to FINALLY GET A DAMN RUN-BLOCKING TIGHT END - NOW! Don't wait for Sprinkle to develop; pick up a TE who can block like hell, even if he can't catch a cold. Right now, we have four under-sized pass-catching TE's and one rookie. Two of those pass-catchers need to go in favor of a big, people-moving TE.

We should be able to compete for our division title this season, so they shouldn't be screwing around with a weak running game. They should get a REAL blocking TE and a BEASTLY FB right away.

BTW, Jay Gruden should tell Callahan that he doesn't give a rat's rear end about Callahan's run game philosophy and to just fix the run game NOW, whatever it takes.
I was wondering today if the run game disappeared when we cut the FB off our roster.

Is it really that our o-line is blocking worse or is it that we don't have that extra lead blocker?

Either way, something is definitely off and has been since last year. Same line, same coaches, same RBs's...hard to see how it will get better.

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #32
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

If you want to chill: watch the Giants not being able to do anything against the Browns on any side of the ball.
Preseason really doesn't mean much.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #33
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
It's a couple weeks before the season starts. This needed to be addressed in the off season. You can't go out and bring in all new TE'S and a fullback at this time of the year. They're going to have to go with who they've got.
Your comments sound just like the conventional fan wisdom we fans adopt year after year when our team fails to address the same obvious weakness. We just give up and tell ourselves to wait for next season. Well, I'm tired of that. It's time for this group of executives and coaches to get serious about winning. To me, that means, in part, never conceding that a weak area can't be improved right now and then letting it slide.

There are many instances where a team has found role players who can help them in specific ways among late cuts or even street FA's. Are you saying we can't find a FB who can run block effectively on short yardage plays? Well, I simply can't believe that.

If, for some reason, they can't pick up somebody, why not hold tryouts among players who are currently on the roster to fill certain roles? Somebody may see a better chance to make the 53 man roster by adding value as an extra blocker at FB or TE.

If the coaches and player personnel people haven't figured it out yet, they need to work harder and smarter to fix the problem - now. They must refuse to accept poor results. We have a legitimate chance to win our division, for goodness sakes!

Look, there comes a time in every business when higher management needs to tell a subordinate manager "No excuses, just fix it! Figure it out. That's what I pay you for and I expect results." Heaven knows, I heard that a few times in my business career. Bruce needs to tell Doug and Jay "Just fix it!".
Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Your comments sound just like the conventional fan wisdom we fans adopt year after year when our team fails to address the same obvious weakness. We just give up and tell ourselves to wait for next season. Well, I'm tired of that. It's time for this group of executives and coaches to get serious about winning. To me, that means, in part, never conceding that a weak area can't be improved right now and then letting it slide.

There are many instances where a team has found role players who can help them in specific ways among late cuts or even street FA's. Are you saying we can't find a FB who can run block effectively on short yardage plays? Well, I simply can't believe that.

If, for some reason, they can't pick up somebody, why not hold tryouts among players who are currently on the roster to fill certain roles? Somebody may see a better chance to make the 53 man roster by adding value as an extra blocker at FB or TE.

If the coaches and player personnel people haven't figured it out yet, they need to work harder and smarter to fix the problem - now. They must refuse to accept poor results. We have a legitimate chance to win our division, for goodness sakes!

Look, there comes a time in every business when higher management needs to tell a subordinate manager "No excuses, just fix it! Figure it out. That's what I pay you for and I expect results." Heaven knows, I heard that a few times in my business career. Bruce needs to tell Doug and Jay "Just fix it!".
The best way to fix it isn't through personnel moves. The best way to fix it is through coaches coaching better and players playing better.

Our line and tight ends can run block a lot better than they did the other night. They need to get it together.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #35
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Report: Spencer Long undergoes minor knee operation

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #36
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Moving the rookie into long spot. Good

He Gets Us
Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #37
over the mountain
Playmaker

Riggins sd perhaps its bc our O line guys seem to be in a 2 pt and not 3 pt hands in dirt stance that is costing us in run blocking and having guys be to high.

Watch Green Bay Packers vs. Washington Redskins [08/19/2017] - NFL.com

^^ Sam Perine highlights, almost always 3 pt stance.

I couldnt find highlight video of the Skins 1st team offense. id be curious to see if the first unit O line is in 3 pt for run plays.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #38
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

The sky isn't falling because the offense can't run the ball in pre season. But again, this team probably isn't going to be a good running team. It's just not what they do best. This is and will be a throw first team. I just hope they'll be able to run it a little better than what we've seen so far.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #39
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
The sky isn't falling because the offense can't run the ball in pre season. But again, this team probably isn't going to be a good running team. It's just not what they do best. This is and will be a throw first team. I just hope they'll be able to run it a little better than what we've seen so far.
What I dread is predictable play calling from gruden. If we arent running the ball well, i think he wont run the ball on 1st down plays.

1st play is an incomplete short to mid range pass.
2nd play is a run for little to no gain.
3rd and long .. predictable pass play of draw to CT

I think we need to figure out how to pick up 3-5 yards on 1st down play calls. We have to keep D coord guessing whether it will be pass or run on 1st down calls.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #40
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Riggins sd perhaps its bc our O line guys seem to be in a 2 pt and not 3 pt hands in dirt stance that is costing us in run blocking and having guys be to high.

Watch Green Bay Packers vs. Washington Redskins [08/19/2017] - NFL.com

^^ Sam Perine highlights, almost always 3 pt stance.

I couldnt find highlight video of the Skins 1st team offense. id be curious to see if the first unit O line is in 3 pt for run plays.
Just curious, if we used three point stance for most runs and 2 point for most passes, wouldn't that be a major tell for opposing defenses.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #41
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Don't act like this is a new problem that only occurs in the pre-season. I'm not panicking; I just think that when you have a problem for years, you ought to be able to fix it.

Jay Gruden could fix it if he wanted to do so. He simply doesn't emphasize the running game enough and he probably never will. That's just bullshit because other teams have proven that a team can be good at both passing and running.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #42
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The best way to fix it isn't through personnel moves. The best way to fix it is through coaches coaching better and players playing better.

Our line and tight ends can run block a lot better than they did the other night. They need to get it together.
Cut some loafing bastard who thinks he's got the team made. That should get everyone else's attention.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #43
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Just curious, if we used three point stance for most runs and 2 point for most passes, wouldn't that be a major tell for opposing defenses.
Of course and that was my first thought as well. On empty backfield sets, the O line is always upright. For sets with a player in the backfield that could be run or pass, I havent been watching the O line for whether or not they are in a 2 pt or 3 pt stance. Im just relaying Riggins thought.

the Perine video shows almost always 3 pt stance for plays with a RB in the backfield. Without benefit of 1st unit O line video, Im assuming the 1st unit also goes to 3 pt stance when a player is in the backfield. Riggins thought may have no merit, and he was certainly speculating not saying it with 100% certainty.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Chase Roullier...per kiem...this is a great position to evaluate our rookie because he has been "impressive".

Would love to see this turn into the position battle

He Gets Us
Old 08-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #45
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Chase Roullier...per kiem...this is a great position to evaluate our rookie because he has been "impressive".

Would love to see this turn into the position battle
I would love it because it could mean Long to LG, Roullier to center, and Lauvao to the bench.

Long way to go before we get there. But we drafted Scherff thinking he'd be our RT, and then Moses really came on in his second year. If Roullier did the same thing next summer it would solve an awful lot for us.