Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

There have been a lot of names floating around re: the next Redskins QB so I thought I'd just take a moment here to sort of refresh the discussion and summarize what I've heard.

Reminder: This is only about what I've heard. And remember things change. Also, this isn't about some of the later round prospects they have been scouting like Harnish or Dominique Davis

Current QBs

Rex Grossman: They've been working on a 1-2 year deal, but talks have stalled. But that may be because both sides decided to just hold off further talk until the offseason. I know there are other teams that have expressed interest in Rex (to the surprise of many I'm sure) as a veteran backup.

John Beck: Gone, but don't be too surprised if he stays through most of training camp. Particularly if Grossman goes elsewhere

Jonathan Crompton: Likely gone

Free Agents (only those who have been linked to the Redskins):

Kyle Orton: I'm actually not totally sure he's a FA, but the Redskins aren't likely to pursue him. Have heard the Jets are a possibility for KO

Matt Flynn: I know his name is the hot name being tossed around and everyone is connecting him to the Redskins. But I haven't had one legit source tell me there is true interest. Maybe there is, but from all I've heard it sure doesn't sound like it

Josh Johnson: Interest, but not as a starter.

Brian Hoyer: He's Restricted, but he's a potential sleeper. Papa Shanahan likes him (I can't speak for Junior). But he might be someone to keep an eye on.

Peyton Manning: None that I've heard of

Trades:

Jimmy Clausen: Very possible if the Panthers decide to move him. Redskins won't offer higher than a conditional 5th and he wouldn't be brought in to be the unquestioned starter. Skins have been monitoring Clausen situation since last spring when Panthers took Cam.

Mark Sanchez: Rumor was smoking hot three weeks ago but has died down a bit. Not as likely to happen anymore

Sam Bradford: This is probably choice #1. To figure out some way to get Bradford without giving up both their 1st and 2nd this year. No one knows that the new Rams regime is going to do, but Redskins are definitely keeping tabs on what happens there because if they can get Bradford they'll likely do just about "whatever it takes" to get him. Which is interesting, because they didn't want to 2 years ago. Though now "whatever it takes" is probably much less

Colt McCoy: Have not heard of any legit Redskins interest in him.

Draft:

Andrew Luck: As of right now, it doesn't look like they are seriously considering trading up for him

RGIII. Not to be confused with this RGIII. They like him a lot, though I don't think more than Luck as has been reported here, but they probably won't move up to get him.

Landry Jones: Chris Russell (ESPN 980 Redskins Beat Reporter) says the Skins have zero interest in LJ. But I've heard otherwise many times. If they're going to "reach" for anyone at 6, don't be too surprised if it's Jones. This is all assuming he declares. Kyle is the one who likes him. Well, let me specify Kyle seemingly prefers Jones to Tannehill (though both father and son like both), sees him as having much of the same qualities Schaub has.

Ryan Tannehill: See Jones. Though honestly I think they're more likely to take Jones at 6 than Tannehill. Feeling is Jones can start now, Tannehill may need a little more time

Nick Foles: 2nd round possibility, won't move up for him.

Kirk Cousins/Ryan Lindley: 3rd round possibilities

Brandon Weeden: No...not that I've heard

So I think Plan A is make a run for Sam Bradford and possibly add someone like a Jimmy Clausen/Brian Hoyer. Though Hoyer may cost too much to not start him. Bradford and Clausen! Could you imagine, how silly would that be. Plan B is draft a Jones/Tannehill and someone like Grossman or Josh Johnson is the veteran/transition QB.

My gut prediction as of today...Landry Jones (I know I've been saying Tannehill but I'm honestly going back and forth on the two) and Rex returns as the backup.

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Thanks ss. No big shockers there I'd like to see us get Flynn if and only if we can't trade for Sam or Andrew luck. I'm with them on Landry Jones and tannehill, both are OK players but we want a true franchise qb and we've earned one dammit.. Oh and sanchez aka baby rex can stay in ny or go back out west
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Thanks for the insight
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Thanks for the intel/info Smoot! You sir are a gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
RGIII. Not to be confused with this RGIII. They like him a lot, though I don't think more than Luck as has been reported here, but they probably won't move up to get him.

Yeah, that dude got a lot of flack for that intel about the Skins liking RGIII more than Luck. Hell, I find it hard to believe, but then again, I'm not the one looking at game film or projecting his transition into our offense. If you listened to Phil Simms, Luck is overrated.

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

Quote:
Weeks ago I put it out there that NFL scouts/front offices have RG3 rated over Luck. A majority of people told me i was crazy.. Everyday that passes more NFL people come out and say the same.

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill: See Jones. Though honestly I think they're more likely to take Jones at 6 than Tannehill. Feeling is Jones can start now, Tannehill may need a little more time
Why would you select either one at #6? Tannehill should be available at our second round selection, and I imagine you could get Jones mid first round perhaps? (depending on how he grades out)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Thanks for the insight smoot, however I really hope that your wrong about us being high on both Tannehill and Landry Jones.

I don't want Tannehill, because he doesn't impress me and seems like a lot of long development. LJ as I've been saying for a while is overrated according to my OU buddies who watch every OU game, say he is very overrated and they hope he declares so that they don't have to see another year of LJ on OU's team. They pointed out what others pointed out; once his best WR went down, so did he.

I'm waiting for 'Andy Dalton' of this year (guy who is projected in the mid rounds, but after senior bowl and workouts and interviews and second evaluations he'll climb to late first - early second).
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

If we draft any QB other than Luck or RGIII I'm going to be very disappointed. Not interested in Hoyer or Flynn either. Clausen fits the mold of a backup worth developing but at a reasonable cost of course.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
12thMan
MVP

Awesome! So provided that the Skins somehow land Bradford and don't part ways with this year's first, they could indeed possibly end up with Sam Bradford and Matt Kalil. Or Sam Bradford and Justin Blackmon. Though the former is probably more likely given how Blackmon finished the season.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Awesome! So provided that the Skins somehow land Bradford and don't part ways with this year's first, they could indeed possibly end up with Sam Bradford and Matt Kalil. Or Sam Bradford and Justin Blackmon. Though the former is probably more likely given how Blackmon finished the season.
I think he was saying that if there was a way to not part with this years first AND second round picks, meaning it would cost our first but we'd still have our second.. SS, clarification please?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Good Stuff!
I knew you would spill your guts.........once you left the Mother Ship.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think he was saying that if there was a way to not part with this years first AND second round picks, meaning it would cost our first but we'd still have our second.. SS, clarification please?
Correct. That's how I understood it as well.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Thank you so much, SS! That is very helpful.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Yeah, I think you're right. Seemed too good to be true. That said, don't underestimate Dan Snyder's ability to reach deep into the cookie jar. #justsayin
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Yeah, I think you're right. Seemed too good to be true. That said, don't underestimate Dan Snyder's ability to reach deep into the cookie jar. #justsayin
Dan isn't controlling football operations anymore. Just signing the checks.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We don't want to trade our 1st and 2nd for Bradford. Possibly one or the other. More likely this year's 1st plus future high picks. It's tough to know right now because no one knows who is going to be running the Rams

I wouldn't take Jones or Tannehill at #6. But I don't think either falls below 12-15. With QBs though, there's always the possibility someone reaches.

I could end up being totally wrong here. But I liken the Flynn talk to Peppers from a couple of years ago. When just about everyone was linking Julius Peppers to the Redskins, and what did I repeatedly say here? The Redskins had no interest and he wasn't coming here...and he didn't
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
We don't want to trade our 1st and 2nd for Bradford. Possibly one or the other. More likely this year's 1st plus future high picks. It's tough to know right now because no one knows who is going to be running the Rams

I wouldn't take Jones or Tannehill at #6. But I don't think either falls below 12-15. With QBs though, there's always the possibility someone reaches.

I could end up being totally wrong here. But I liken the Flynn talk to Peppers from a couple of years ago. When just about everyone was linking Julius Peppers to the Redskins, and what did I repeatedly say here? The Redskins had no interest and he wasn't coming here...and he didn't
With Jake Locker in mind, if Jones or Tannehill is our guy, I have no problem grabbing him at #6. It would suck to lose our guy worse than it would suck to reach.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Closed Thread