The Getting Old Sucks Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: The Getting Old Sucks Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Getting old does suck in a lot of ways, but at the same time I'd have no interest in being 21 again. Anyone else agree?

What sucks these days most for me is waking up with random aches and pains. I'm like shit what did I do yesterday, oh yeah went for a walk. A fucking half hour walk is enough to make me limp out of bed in the morning.

Hangovers really blow too. 2 beers and a couple of bourbons? Used to be no big deal. Now it's guaranteed to make me wake up with a pounding headache. And if I really go out on a bender forget about it, I'm under the weather for at least 2 full days. On the positive side I guess it's really made me cut back on drinking the last few years.
Fully agree. One thing we did stumble upon was we went out an bought a really good bed! I swear to God it makes a difference. we have a Tempur Pedic and I will never buy anything else , they are expensive as hell but worth it and bye the way the other impersonators mattress in a box aren't close to the real thing!

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2019, 02:03 AM   #17
los panda
Pro Bowl

Good call on the bed, G-man. We recently upgraded from a full size pillow top spring mattress to a king size foam mattress and my back has not been hurting or stiff since.

It was $600 shipped on Amazon with a 100 day return policy, essentially no risk. Also bought the box spring and frame on Amazon. Everything shipped for under $900.

If you're sleeping on a bed that you don't like, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND upgrading. It's been almost life changing for me and my pregnant wife, our dog too - plenty of space for all of us.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Since the Boobs thread hasn't been getting any traction lately, I figured I'd change it up a bit.

Back about 10 years ago, I was in my early/mid 30's, still felt really young, in the best shape of my life, single, and felt I was still young enough to attract women in their early 20's (which I did), or I could easily attract good looking women in their early 40's (which I also did.)

Fast forward to now, I'm married (which I am thankful for), mid 40's, I have a kid, but my wife and I are badly out of shape (I'm about 50 pounds overweight), we're grumpy all the time, we don't keep up with the most "happening" entertainment, because we don't get very many opportunities to go out nor watch what we want to on TV (since the TV is dominated by the 4 year old.) It just hit me that I've reached that age where I have became my father! I don't know the in fashions right now, I'm getting gray, I can't stand top 40 music anymore, I can't stay up late, alcohol seems to really wreck my body......dudes, I just feel so durn old!

Don't want to feel this way. I know I should get back into the gym. Should listen to the radio more, and they do have Just For Men, lol! I used to get excited to go into restaurants where the waitresses were hot and wearing short shorts, but now, they all look like kids to me. I hate growing up!
I am 43 years old and Everything you described sounds like me.

Just this past August I got married to a really wonderful woman, and I really thank God for her.

But I completely agree that everything else about getting older sux!

And yes, even at the age of 43 I am getting odd aches and pains. Also I too done not much like the current Top 40 Music.

As for drinking , as other have mentioned, Hangovers are Much Worse and have have caused me to also severely curtail my drinking

Getting Old Sux!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #19
metalskins
The Starter

I definitely agree with you guys on the fitness. A couple years ago, I had lost about 50 pounds - felt so much better! felt younger! Looked younger! Unfortunately, I gained every bit of that weight back, because I had gotten under a lot of stress. Now, I am trying to get my weight headed back into the right direction, but it's tough.

And the aches and pains! Where in the blue tornado did these aches and pains come from?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #20
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Since the Boobs thread hasn't been getting any traction lately, I figured I'd change it up a bit.

Back about 10 years ago, I was in my early/mid 30's, still felt really young, in the best shape of my life, single, and felt I was still young enough to attract women in their early 20's (which I did), or I could easily attract good looking women in their early 40's (which I also did.)

Fast forward to now, I'm married (which I am thankful for), mid 40's, I have a kid, but my wife and I are badly out of shape (I'm about 50 pounds overweight), we're grumpy all the time, we don't keep up with the most "happening" entertainment, because we don't get very many opportunities to go out nor watch what we want to on TV (since the TV is dominated by the 4 year old.) It just hit me that I've reached that age where I have became my father! I don't know the in fashions right now, I'm getting gray, I can't stand top 40 music anymore, I can't stay up late, alcohol seems to really wreck my body......dudes, I just feel so durn old!

Don't want to feel this way. I know I should get back into the gym. Should listen to the radio more, and they do have Just For Men, lol! I used to get excited to go into restaurants where the waitresses were hot and wearing short shorts, but now, they all look like kids to me. I hate growing up!
I had a child at about the same age as yourself. Us the child as motivation to get out and get some exercise because your going to need it. I'm now 55 and my daughter is 12 and I can keep up with her. I started stretching and walking several months back and feel a lot better. The stretching will help you feel better and you will have less pain.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #21
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
I had a child at about the same age as yourself. Us the child as motivation to get out and get some exercise because your going to need it. I'm now 55 and my daughter is 12 and I can keep up with her. I started stretching and walking several months back and feel a lot better. The stretching will help you feel better and you will have less pain.
I've actually decided that I would do a little stretching and exercise tonight since my wife and son is away (he has to get some dental surgery done.) That way I have no interruptions and it will get me back focused on getting active.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #22
Warthog
The Starter

10 years ago I re-injured a spinal injury that I had originally hurt when I was in the military. I've been in constant pain ever since then. I've had 6 spinal surgeries and the last one took 3 hours (in April) and made the pain worse. I've tried every pain therapy that there is, and sometimes more than once, to no avail.

I accepted that growing old was part of life but never expected all the pain I've had. Still, I try to stay positive and thank my lucky stars for disability. The VA system was a total bitch and it took me 4 years of major azz-pain to get them to approve my military disability.

"Nothing fucks you harder than time."

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #23
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
10 years ago I re-injured a spinal injury that I had originally hurt when I was in the military. I've been in constant pain ever since then. I've had 6 spinal surgeries and the last one took 3 hours (in April) and made the pain worse. I've tried every pain therapy that there is, and sometimes more than once, to no avail.

I accepted that growing old was part of life but never expected all the pain I've had. Still, I try to stay positive and thank my lucky stars for disability. The VA system was a total bitch and it took me 4 years of major azz-pain to get them to approve my military disability.

"Nothing fucks you harder than time."
I am very sorry I hear about all of your pain!

I hope that you get some relief soon.

Thank you for your Service to Our County!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Went wake boarding this weekend and I'm sore. Its been my quest do do a flip but all I can do now is get half way around and land on my head. At one time I could all most get all the the way around but not anymore. I can still get some good air but I just don't think time is on my side for learning a flip.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #25
JPPT1974
Special Teams

So sorry Wart Hog. Hope you can get some help. May need to see a doctor or what have you! Get well!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #26
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
So sorry Wart Hog. Hope you can get some help. May need to see a doctor or what have you! Get well!
I flew fighter aircraft for 25 years. Most guys who do that have back problems from all the cumulative "g" forces. Mine's just worse than others. Still, it was a really cool job and I miss it. No good deal lasts forever!

Flyboy.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #27
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I flew fighter aircraft for 25 years. Most guys who do that have back problems from all the cumulative "g" forces. Mine's just worse than others. Still, it was a really cool job and I miss it. No good deal lasts forever!
You probably have 24.5 of the top 25 life stories on this whole site. Sorry for your pain and thanks for the service. Glad you at least don't regret it.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #28
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Last night a sneezed and shit my pants. God getting old is bad.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
First, Thank you for your service! Not saying this will cure all but my Mrs has one of the worst backs you have ever seen and what helps her ......and me is a really good bed. We have a Tempur Pedic and I and her swear by it!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #30
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
First, Thank you for your service! Not saying this will cure all but my Mrs has one of the worst backs you have ever seen and what helps her ......and me is a really good bed. We have a Tempur Pedic and I and her swear by it!
Thanks for the input. I have a good bed and have tried chiropractors, acupuncture, TENS, and every other gizmo out there for this. I've also had 6 spinal surgeries. My flying days fuzed two of my vertebra together. Not an operation for fusion but it happened naturally from all the "g" forces. I'm resigned to my fate and await the new technology to help with the pain!

Flyboy.