Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
reidskind
Camp Scrub

Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

man..I could think real hard and be all in depth w/ my deep thoughts, but that damn guy always is in my head... get out... you called it man, so I do not need to say anything else.....

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

My thing is you don't come out in your first home preseason game playing like a bunch of turds. With all of this off season hype and everything, you would just expect more in the way of polished execution from our strarters. Also, I'm very disapointed in the play of our reserves and back-ups.
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #18
steveo395
The Starter

We will be ok. When you don't gameplan, it's all luck whether or not your plays and everything is going to work. We're not showing anything. I'm worried about this year, but thats the same with every year. This is going to be a completely different team on September 11.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
PSUSkinsFan21
The Starter

Wow! Daseal with a glass is half empty post??? This must be a first.

Seriously though, I have to agree with most of what Daseal has to say. Color me a little concerned. I hear what some of you all are saying about gameplanning and not showing your hand and all that.....but I gotta say, the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys haven't looked good because they're trying all kinds of trick plays and showing us their whole gameplan. They are going out there and simply executing, and they are executing well. Simple, straightfoward football. That's all they're doing, and they're doing it very effectively.

Maybe we can just flip a swith on Sept. 11th and out of nowhere our offense will be explosive. I hope that's the case, but I just don't see any reason to not play better than we have. I don't see any reason for not running, passing and catching the football well. I'm not talking about showing everything we've got, but how about we just show that we can string a few first downs together? How about turning it on for a drive, just one, with the first team and then put in the second stingers.....but let's prove it to ourself that this team is going to be able to move the ball come regular season.

I don't think the sky is falling, but the team certainly hasn't given us much reason to talk about the glass being half full so far.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some valid concerns. But at the same time we shouldn't be overly confident if we were 2-0 at this point. But let's look at some of the positives

--The Offensive Line--As you've said Daseal the pass protection has been very impressive. The starters are giving the QB plenty of time in the pocket. I understand that our depth isn't anything to write home about. But realistically, look around the league and how many teams have great depth on the O-Line? It's just not that realistic these days. Sure, if all five starters on the O-line go down we're screwed but that's not so realistic either.

--Mike Sellers--I had wondered if he was just a flash in the pan sensation last year. But he actually might be better now than he was when last season ended. He's been a pleasant surprise

--The Defense--I have no basis for this, but I think Shawn Springs will be back for the Texans game on Sept. 24 (at the latest). When he returns the defensive will be absolutely dominant, until then they'll just have to settle for spectacular. I have zero concerns about our defense. Sure they'll give up an occasional big play, but what defense won't? More often than not though, they'll be the ones making the big stop

--The Quarterbacks--I can't change how you feel about Brunell, Daseal. But you had concerns about him last year too and we did get to the playoffs with him at QB. I understand that his production went down toward the end, but a lot of that (beyond injury) was by choice (to go with Portis) and by need (WRs hurt). But what's really encouraging is that people are saying the Redskins would probably not miss a beat with Campbell in there. He has been very impressive and it's good to know that our season wouldn't end with him in at QB. At least I don't think it would.

I still say 12-4, 13-3 this year.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #21
Kope
Special Teams

I believe in Gibbs- he was as pissed as I have seen him since his first stint. Gibbs is terrified of being embarassed and he transfers that to his team. He makes the team too proud to fold when the pressure is on- that is the character he looks for (not choir boys)- he has that on our team now. It will work out because he is here; that is why he is a hall of famer. And if he can do it again he will be the best bar none. Hell he even has me scared after seeing his interview after the game
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Found this on another board,

Quote:
Per Chris Cooley on the Riggins show

said laughingly (paraphrase)

Panic? over PRESEASON?... no the team is not panicing about anything so far about preseason. We haven't been gameplanning, or showing anything...

talked about the offense is really moving along in Saunders offense, in practice, they are doing things dirfferent (Vanilla) in preseason games

just want to see how players can do, without showing anything we can do

because they "DON'T COUNT!!!!!!!"
Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #23
davy
Impact Rookie

I'm firmly in the "It's only preseason" camp.

Didn't the Colts just lose their 8th straight preseason game?

No big deal.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #24
dmek25
MVP

as usual, matty being the voice of reason. or was that cooley?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #25
GoSkins!
The Starter

I guess it is also important to remember that Gibbs has a way of getting the best out of everyone around him. He does it year after year after year. He did it here, in Nascar, and here again. He will do it with the players AND the coaches.

We all know that once the game planning is implemented that things should look better. I, for one, don't believe we have the very best talent in the NFL on our team. Very good, but not every guy is elite. Without game planning there are going to be one-on-one matchups that we are bound to lose just like there are some we are bound to win. The coaches need to establish who can win thier matchups. They need to know which rookies and free agents are going to step up. That is what this preseason is about.

It appears that the coaches are putting the team in very tough situations and forcing them to bump up thier level of play. Instead of typical game planning, it is like they are game planning to deflate a few egos.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #26
freddyg12
Playmaker

gibbs' teams never fare well in preseason,but finish strong. remember that we reported to camp later than everybody else too.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #27
superskins
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I'm firmly in the "It's only preseason" camp.

Didn't the Colts just lose their 8th straight preseason game?

No big deal.
yea but are they struggling to run there offense? i think not
superskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #28
superskins
Special Teams

for some strange reason i feel a lot better now that we have duckett
Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by superskins View Post
yea but are they struggling to run there offense? i think not
The Colts march up and down the field for a reason.

They've been in that system for how long now?

Plus they don't go basic, they come out guns blazing for a few series then shut it down.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #30
superskins
Special Teams

[quote=Mattyk72;206895]The Colts march up and down the field for a reason.

They've been in that system for how long now?
quote]

my point exactly! we have a new offense which has me concerned