Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

hard to root for the manning family

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
diesl44
Camp Scrub

hard to root for the manning family

i think the manning family really damaged themselves as of late , a public relations nitemare ....i always thought archie and payton always carried themselves very professionally , but this draft as showing them as self centered, me-first types .i mean we all want the best for our kids , but doesnt this teach them the wrong message ...like if you cry and moan and whine you can get what you want ...its a pretty big dam priviladge to play in the nfl .. and i bet there were a few players along the way that maybe initially want to be on different teams ( like kwII ) but have no choice ...i mean ofcourse we will all root for eli to crap out because hes in the east now
but i hvae rooted for payton in games when it didnt matter to the skins , because he puts his time and effort into so much preparation , and it shows ..but no more ...i will personally root against the whole family , and on a day so saddened buy the totally unselfish heroism pat tillman showed and ultimatly died from he is a real hero ...i highly doubt the manning family would ever do anything like that ...... rest in peace pat
diesl44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I guess Barry Sanders is a big whiner. He retired before he would go back and play for the Lions.

I guess Bo Jackson is a big whiner since he sat out of the draft to avoid being drafted by (forgot the team).

These guys, especially QB's know that if they get drafted 1st, they're going to be a franchise QB and it will be HARD to get out of the deal. If I were in Eli's shoes, I don't know what I would have done. I'm not sure the Chargers owner is willing to spend money to get a supporting cast good enough to make that football team what it needs to be. Eli Manning KNOWS that wherever he goes, he'll likely be there for all or a heavy majority of his career. I think that a man should have a small say in where he goes. For example, if you went to a job fair and they decided to have a job draft, so you said hell, I'll sign up. First pick is more money than I make now. And since Jim's Chicken Farm was first on the draft order and are in desperate need for a shit shoveler, and you fill all the qualities they look for in a shit shovler. Would you say, "Well, I'm normally a computer programmer, but I don't want to whine." Fuck no, you'd say screw off Jim, this is my life and I should be able to make my decesions. It's not as if QB's can give their two weeks notice and leave. They sign often longterm contracts and Eli knew he didn't want to be a charger.

I think if they wanna bitch about it, go ahead until they sign a contract. It's when you sign a contract that whining becomes a real problem.

You think John Elway would be HoF calliber player with New England? I highly doubt it.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
RedskinPete
The Starter

I like the Manning kids!!! The old man so so!!! Hell no one wants to play in SD!!! They have such a great coach! He could have coach for us........ Wait a second he did!! Did he win a game? If he lasts another full season I will be surprised!!! I just wise he wasn't a Giant. I guess he could be a Cowboy!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:32 AM   #4
hi-jinx
Special Teams

First off no one can argue that Eli sin't better off in NY for a ton of reasons.

Second off I can't see how anyone on the planet can blame Archie for wanting the best thing for his son. Any person who doesn't understand that doesn't have children.

Third the Mannings handled it very well, they didn't want to play this in the public, the Chargers did. Thats why it was the Chargers' Gm who personally called no less then 5 members of the media. They threw it out there to get what they wanted a good deal to get Rivers. (the QB they wanted all the time)

Fourth I know every football fan thinks that players should just serve their time at whomever drafts them forever. That a player should play for that team for ever and the player should have no rights. BUT THAT ANIT THE REAL WORLD JACK. Eli didn't want to play for SD so he made it clear to them.

Lastly I fail to see what Eli did wrong in any event. He didn't want a certain job. You think he would have done well in San Deigo for a team he didn't want to play for? So he's nice enough to let them know that picking him is a waste of a valuable resource(the 1st pick). There is a good chance that if he went to SD his career would not go well at all. You dont think so ask Ryan Leaf or Drew Brees. If I was Eli the only thing different thing I woulda done is I woulda never let the Chargers know I didn't wanted to go there. Just every time they called asking about a contact in the week leadnig up to the draft, I woulda have had my agent tell them, "Sorry he's in New York." And if they didn't get the hint then I'd take a year off work with some former NFL coach and came out that much better.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I dont think it was such a big deal that they said, " we would rahter not play in San Diego" I think thats absolutley fine. However, I thought saying they would sit out the year, was a litlte much.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

I find it hard to root for Eli simply because he is now a Giant!
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
beg8878
Special Teams

TO me Eli just seems to lack enough confidence to say " you know what, I'll play for SD, reguardless of the past, I am the man to lead them to the promised land".

That is the type of talk I would expect from a #1 pick who is supposed to be a team leader.

I think Eli lacks that leadership ability and because of that he will fail adn the NY media is going to tear him apart.
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Beg, you can't lead a team destined for failure to the promised land. Give me an owner who will spend money and a solid coaching staff and I'd gladly go to a losing team.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:30 AM   #9
beg8878
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Beg, you can't lead a team destined for failure to the promised land. Give me an owner who will spend money and a solid coaching staff and I'd gladly go to a losing team.
sounds a lot like the talk a couple years ago with the Bengals....

In todays NFL nobody is destined for failure? One year to the next you can go from 3-13 to the superbowl

I don't remember Palmer bitching about going to Cincinnati. Wasn't the big knock there that their owner fails to spend money.

you mention solid coaching? Is Marty not a "solid" coach? seriously, marty may not be Vince Lombardi but he is a proven solid NFL head coach.

If you think Manning doesn't come out of this looking like a whiny little bitch, whose daddy didn't want him to go to SD, I don't know what you were watching

beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
redrock-skins
Impact Rookie

Eli was wrong and I hope Lavar takes him out. What a crybaby Eli was yesterday. He deserves any negative comments coming his way pure and simple!
redrock-skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

If Eli stumbles AT ALL in NYC, the press will rip him to shreads. Philly may have the worst fans, but no one is more brutal than the NY press. Be careful what you wish for!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Its more then just the coaching. The biggest underrated factor in forming a great team is the front office. You get these teams where the front office is littered with people of the same last name.(see Arizona, Cincy, San Deigo) People who are just there because they have an uncle who owns a chunk of team. People who are unlikey to be fired and they know it, then you see why some teams are bad for so long.

And who knows if sitting out a year was what Eli would have done. He had to say that, for it was the only leavage he had. Just saying that he didn't want to go to SD and not backing it up wouldn't have done him any good.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #13
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I love how someone mentions Eli being a whiner then talks about LaVar. I'm going to buy LaVar a passifier for training camp.