Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

So... The Government is Shut Down...

Debating with the enemy

Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #166
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: So... The Government is Shut Down...

Here is one of your fiscal conservatives.

Conservatives Rail Against "Kentucky Kickback" Dam Project Inserted In Bill To End the Shutdown | TIME.com

These guys are hilarious. The audacity of them to pull this kind of shit is mind boggling.

WE NEED TO CUT SPENDING!!!

(whispers in democrats ear..."be sure to hook me up with 2 billion for my state)

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #167
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

“This proves that when we work together, we can come up with a totally unsatisfactory solution to a completely unnecessary crisis.” This link leads to a short but very funny satire of Congress piece:

Cruz: 'The Dream of Keeping Poor People from Seeing a Doctor Must Never Die' : The New Yorker
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #168
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I would love for someone to explain to me how it cost us money.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #169
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Here is one of your fiscal conservatives.

Conservatives Rail Against "Kentucky Kickback" Dam Project Inserted In Bill To End the Shutdown | TIME.com

These guys are hilarious. The audacity of them to pull this kind of shit is mind boggling.

(whispers in democrats ear..."be sure to hook me up with 2 billion for my state)

If your going to post something maybe you need to read it first.

"It has raised the alarm bells of conservatives, who have long complained about Republicans who spend heavily on their home states."

Plenty of Rep. spend too much money just like the dems. Thats why we are 17 trillion in debt.

Read more: Conservatives Rail Against "Kentucky Kickback" Dam Project Inserted In Bill To End the Shutdown | TIME.com
"
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #170
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I would love for someone to explain to me how it cost us money.
Because you asked:
How much did the shutdown cost the economy?

The Costs of the Government Shutdown - ABC News

And 9 things that cost less than the shutdown:
Nine things that cost less than the government shutdown - U.S. News
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #171
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I recently listened to science Friday and they said there is concern over intergovernmental collaborative efforts as well as recruitment into NASA, NFS, EPA, NSA and other science agencies
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #172
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Thank You .
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #173
firstdown
Living Legend

* $24 billion in lost economic output,or0.6 percent of projected annualized GDP growth, according to the Standard and Poor’s ratings agency. Similarly, Moody’s Analytics estimated the impact at $23 billion.
The ratings agencies calculate their estimates using complicated formulas that consider past economic behavior, combined with the number of federal employees and contractors who were not paid during the shutdown, according to Moody’s chief economist Mark Zandi.

Ok, so when they receive their back pay they are not going to spend any of that money based off what S&P figures. That's total BS. This fact alone should make anyone question their numbers.

* $2.1 billion in government costs for the fiscal 1996 shutdowns, calculated in today’s dollars, according to Office of Management and Budget estimates at the time. The impact could be worse this time, since the 2013 shutdown forced more government employees off the job. Most of the cost of the fiscal 1996 closure resulted from agencies paying furloughed workers for hours they didn’t actually work.

* $450,000 a day in lost revenue at National Parks, according to the National Park Service. That wasuntil late last week, when a handful of states agreed to fund operations for the some of the parks within their boundaries. The costs may have been lower from that point forward, as some parks reopened and began collecting fees again.
The numbers come from top-line estimates by the National Park Service, which made projections based on October 2012 park attendance and fee collections.

They just made the point I have been making about the parks. They bring in revenue so to close them made no since other then to make people pissed.

* $2.4 billion in lost travel spending, based on the U.S. Travel Association’s estimate of $152 million per day. The organization said it based its numbers in part on the National Park Service projections, as well as estimated reductions in business travel for federal employees and the federal government.

So lets take that number and cut it in half. Are they saying we pay 75 million a day just in business travel for ferderal employees. Once again they show the Federal Goverment has become way to big and its time to reduce the size of goverment. I look at that as a savings not a loss.

Bonus material:
As most politics junkies know, the government could soon shut down again if Congress and the White House cannot agree to another spending plan early next year. The agreement signed by President Obama early Thursday morning will only fund operations through Jan. 15.
The deal also suspended enforcement of the debt limit until Feb. 7, which means another confrontation over the nation’s borrowing could occur again sometime in March.
S&P said in a statement Wednesday that the threat of new debt-ceiling and shutdown standoffs early next year could “weigh on consumer confidence, especially among government workers that were furloughed.”
“If people are afraid that the government policy brinksmanship will resurface again, and with the risk of another shutdown or worse, they’ll remain afraid to open up their checkbooks,” the agency said. “That points to another Humbug holiday season.”
S&P estimated that a default could force the government to reduce spending by 4 percent of annualized GDP, which would “put the economy in a recession and wipe out much of the economic progress made by the recovery from the Great Recession.”
To connect with Josh Hicks, follow his Twitter feed or e-mail josh.hicks@washpost.com. For more federal news, visit The Federal Eye, The Fed Page and Post Politics. E-mail federalworker@washpost.comwith news tips and other suggestions.

Josh Hicks covers the federal government and anchors the Federal Eye blog. He reported for newspapers in the Detroit and Seattle suburbs before joining the Post as a contributor to Glenn Kessler’s Fact Checker column in 2011. Josh graduated from Albion College and Stanford. He also lived in New Zealand for eight months working as a commercial fisherman and fruit picker.

Up next

VIDEOS | Day One of the

Last edited by firstdown; 10-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #174
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I didn't want to start a thread on this, though I probably should've done an All things Russia type thread.

Russian finance minister warns on spending as crisis deepens
Quote:
"Regardless of having already curbed 2015 spending, we will ask parliament to cut by 10 percent all expenditure apart from defense spending," [Finance Minister Anton] Siluanov added.
Somehow I doubt they will have as lively a debate as that single line would spark here.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote