Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

You mean minimum wage hikes come out of *our* pockets?

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
tshile
Special Teams

Stillwater cafe faces heat for adding 'minimum wage fee' to tab | Star Tribune

edit:forum doesn't like receipt picture it has a line item charge of .35 cents for the minimum wage hike. it's in the article.

People are mad on facebook and calling for boycotts.

Where do they think the money is going to come from? They really think raising the minimum wage means big corporate execs are just going to give up enough of their profit to cover the cost and everything stays the same for the rest of us?

The world just doesn't work that way... shit rolls down hill and labor costs get passed onto the consumer.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: You mean minimum wage hikes come out of *our* pockets?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...182914617.html

fast-food-workers-becoming-obsolete

While the choice will be up to the franchisees, many will likely embrace the option as a way to save on labor costs. Wendy's President and CFO, Todd Penegor, acknowledged recent pressure on the labor market in a recent earnings call.

"We've been able to create some efficiencies on labor across the restaurant ... like customer self-order kiosks, mobile order, and mobile pay," Penegor said. Kiosks could possibly "mitigate any of the inflation" seen on the wage front for Wendy's, and could for other chains as well.

As the fight for a higher minimum wage continues, some argue that higher labor costs will force fast-food companies to cut staff.

Andy Puzder, the CEO of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's, is convinced. "If you're making labor more expensive, and automation less expensive — this is not rocket science," Puzder told Business Insider's Kate Taylor.

raise the minimum wage to unreasonable amount, then you get less jobs, less people work. don't complain

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

I'm calling bullshit to above

http://prospect.org/article/confront...rasite-economy
Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...182914617.html

fast-food-workers-becoming-obsolete

While the choice will be up to the franchisees, many will likely embrace the option as a way to save on labor costs. Wendy's President and CFO, Todd Penegor, acknowledged recent pressure on the labor market in a recent earnings call.

"We've been able to create some efficiencies on labor across the restaurant ... like customer self-order kiosks, mobile order, and mobile pay," Penegor said. Kiosks could possibly "mitigate any of the inflation" seen on the wage front for Wendy's, and could for other chains as well.

As the fight for a higher minimum wage continues, some argue that higher labor costs will force fast-food companies to cut staff.

Andy Puzder, the CEO of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's, is convinced. "If you're making labor more expensive, and automation less expensive — this is not rocket science," Puzder told Business Insider's Kate Taylor.

raise the minimum wage to unreasonable amount, then you get less jobs, less people work. don't complain
Wawa and Sheets have had ordering "Kiosks" for a while and McDonald's has been doing it since they started in the business(cutting cost and short cuts).Many people feel that if they are going to do the work of an actual employee then there should be some sort of discount.Will price's go down if they wipe out employees all together?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Wawa and Sheets have had ordering "Kiosks" for a while and McDonald's has been doing it since they started in the business(cutting cost and short cuts).Many people feel that if they are going to do the work of an actual employee then there should be some sort of discount.Will price's go down if they wipe out employees all together?
market/competition sets the price. Certainly a drop in price is possible with reduced labor cost on the table. Giantone, hopefully that happy meal will come down for you.

When you have government that forces higher employers health insurance cost and also sets unreasonable higher wages, this is the result.

He Gets Us
Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Unreasonable wages? They're not even at a reasonable level yet.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The lowest end of the wage scale never would be"reasonable" as they rise all the other wages rise and therefore prices rise. Or jobs leave, and unemployment grows. Making minimum wage a livable wage is a false dream sold by liberal econics.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
dmek25
MVP

im with matty here? any of you guys try to live on 10.00 an hour?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
dmek25
MVP

and CRedskinsRule, if its not made to be a livable wage, why hasnt congress passed ANY jobs bills?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Unreasonable wages? They're not even at a reasonable level yet.
I think a hike is def needed but when I hear the numbers I laugh. Id give the federal minimum a small hike and if cities or states want to do more, go for it...its on you. BUT the caveat is don't ask the federal government for dollars when private business decisions are made. Meaning: My federal tax dollars should not make up for other cities and states legislation mistakes which forces private industry to pay more. Likewise entitlement spending should be cut in cites/states that make those decisions.

Minimum wage hikes...its a dumb conversation about a very small issue and doesn't address much bigger issues within economy, poverty, and role of government.

don't get me wrong, minimum wage hike is needed, but you think this the way to give it to the big, evil corporations? folks, they will ALWAYS find a way to not affect the bottomline by innovation or simply passing the cost to the consumer, as my article clearly is an example of. We need to be smarter people....tax reform, education, income inequality...its all connected folks.

He Gets Us
Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
im with matty here? any of you guys try to live on 10.00 an hour?
I have a friend who does, he refuses to better himself with an education, smokes pot and is a Bernie supporter. no lie. He's passed up multiple opportunities with decent jobs. A couple years ago he got a job which put him in a position of authority and autonomy running store. I told him don't fuck this up...he had the ability to learn about how to run a small business, sales, manage books, etc. I told him to be a sponge, soak up the opportunity...he was lazy and screwed it up. naturally it wasn't his fault, the man keeping him down....right? it always is. He got Obama care and then complained that it wasn't completely free. typical

He Gets Us
Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
and CRedskinsRule, if its not made to be a livable wage, why hasnt congress passed ANY jobs bills?
Simple, Government isn't the answer to economic questions. It amazes me at the stupidity of the US electorate. Government's job ISN'T to provide a lifetime of work for people (unless we were living in a worker's paradise") it is to provide a stable ecosystem that allows businesses to compete and thrive. It's job is to create a nation that is safe from external threats, and create physical safety for the population.

Nobody is arguing that 7.25-9.50 is livable, BUT for a HS student living with their parent(s), it's a starting point to understand what work ethic is and how earnings correspond to work. Minimum wage is just that a minimum, living wage is not the same, and people who have to live off their income need to work harder than doing just a minimum. That goes for every single person in this country. IF you make the minimum wage equal to the current living wage, a very likely outcome would be rapid inflation and unemployment, not really a good economic outcome.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Simple, Government isn't the answer to economic questions. It amazes me at the stupidity of the US electorate. Government's job ISN'T to provide a lifetime of work for people (unless we were living in a worker's paradise") it is to provide a stable ecosystem that allows businesses to compete and thrive. It's job is to create a nation that is safe from external threats, and create physical safety for the population.

Nobody is arguing that 7.25-9.50 is livable, BUT for a HS student living with their parent(s), it's a starting point to understand what work ethic is and how earnings correspond to work. Minimum wage is just that a minimum, living wage is not the same, and people who have to live off their income need to work harder than doing just a minimum. That goes for every single person in this country. IF you make the minimum wage equal to the current living wage, a very likely outcome would be rapid inflation and unemployment, not really a good economic outcome.
Yeah, the minimum wage type jobs should not be primary income jobs. They aren't meant to be. These jobs are mainly for the youth who don't have the debt burdens, elderly who want to supplement retirement income, or part timer who want supplement bread winners household income. If primary household income is minimum wage job, then I have to ask the individual(s) whats going on?

You cant solve poverty with minimum wage jobs...it wont happen and never has.

He Gets Us
Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Again the problem with the foundation of this is to say that all who are working at minimum wage are using it as a sole support of a living wage, and the only way to make a minimum wage person have a living wage is to have government step in. That's wrong. After the military, I went back to college, while in college I worked a 12 hour 3-4 day a week job, and also a part-time fast food job. The fast food job wasn't meant to be my living wage job, instead it and the 2nd job were the living wage while I worked to get a college degree in Comp Sci.

I know some people fall through the cracks and we need a safety net, but we have to be careful about trying to make the safety net larger than can be carried by those supporting it.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I apologize for the use of the word stupidity. There are tons of highly intelligent people who choose to see a world based on their thoughts and feelings rather than economic reality. It's similar to a Neville Chamberlin or Woodrow Wilson who lived in the idealized world where even bad people just want peace, or Boxer in Animal farm who is shocked that the pigs would betray the cause.

Wanting everyone to have a living wage is an awesome ideal, but putting it as a generalized law is a bad practice.