Matthews to enter NFL Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Matthews to enter NFL Draft

http://rumorsandreports.com/?p=178

Quote:
The Nation’s leading rusher, junior RB Ryan Matthews from Fresno State, has decided to enter the 2010 NFL Draft. Mathews led the nation in rushing with 1,808 yards on 276 carrier averaging 6.6 yards per carry. Matthews also rushed for 19 TDs. Mathews also had 11 receptions for 122 yards.
Not sure Ryan Matthews will go int he first round like he hopes. I see Best, Dwyer, and Spiller going before him. Assuming we do what we should and nab a big OT in the first round, if Matthews is there in the second, do you bite?

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
dmek25
MVP

Re: Matthews to enter NFL Draft

in my opinion, no. the skins have to come up with at least 2 starters for the line via the draft. and the chances of that happening are better with higher draft picks
Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Big C
Mr. Brightside

spiller and best wont be better pros than him, but may go earlier. this is a good move for him, he is ready.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tough to say until we know where we are drafting. If we pick 6th, then we can probably take Okung in the 1st and then I'd look for someone like Matthews or Best (I'm sure Barnes would love that) in the second round. But if we draft around 12th, for example, then I think Okung is probably gone and, with the possible exception of Trent Williams, there is no top half of the first round OT worth taking. There I think you take CJ Spiller and then you can grab someone like Campbell, Davis, Baluga in the mid-second round.

Or they could wait until later and take my super sleeper James Starks out of Buffalo
Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
in my opinion, no. the skins have to come up with at least 2 starters for the line via the draft. and the chances of that happening are better with higher draft picks
Yeah i think we have to get 2 starters out of the draft for the oline. Then hope to find at least 1 starter in FA. So in my mind the 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounders are spoken for. All O lineman.

If you can get a stud left tackle and a quality center in FA, and then a early first round tackle then thats the only way i can imagine going after a skill player in the 2nd round.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tough to say until we know where we are drafting. If we pick 6th, then we can probably take Okung in the 1st and then I'd look for someone like Matthews or Best (I'm sure Barnes would love that) in the second round. But if we draft around 12th, for example, then I think Okung is probably gone and, with the possible exception of Trent Williams, there is no top half of the first round OT worth taking. There I think you take CJ Spiller and then you can grab someone like Campbell, Davis, Baluga in the mid-second round.

Or they could wait until later and take my super sleeper James Starks out of Buffalo
If you're looking to add a feature back, then Matthews in the 2nd Round would be a far better pick than Spiller in the 1st Round, IMO. That's because Spiller is too small at 195 lbs. to have anything but a limited role whereas Matthews at 220 lbs. could carry the mail.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If you're looking to add a feature back, then Matthews in the 2nd Round would be a far better pick than Spiller in the 1st Round, IMO. That's because Spiller is too small at 195 lbs. to have anything but a limited role whereas Matthews at 220 lbs. could carry the mail.
I think a lot would depend on whether Spiller can bulk up and still maintain his speed. Chris Johnson added 5 pounds from his college days where he's now 200, but he's still blazing fast.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Big C
Mr. Brightside

if we get shannahan as oach, im sure he would implement the zone block scheme like he had in denver. if this is the case, then id much prefer a speed back to a bruiser like matthews.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
if we get shannahan as oach, im sure he would implement the zone block scheme like he had in denver. if this is the case, then id much prefer a speed back to a bruiser like matthews.

Speaking of. Are we still using Al Saunders plays for our running game, or did Zorn change that this year?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
WaldSkins
Playmaker

What happened to all the Gerhart Love?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
http://rumorsandreports.com/?p=178

Not sure Ryan Matthews will go int he first round like he hopes. I see Best, Dwyer, and Spiller going before him. Assuming we do what we should and nab a big OT in the first round, if Matthews is there in the second, do you bite?
He_l yes.... Out of all the RB's this guy will be the most solid. He runs great between the tackles, has good speed and is THE BEST BLOCKING BACK in the draft...Perfect 2nd Round pick.....
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote