F 3 1.85%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #16
RedskinPete
The Starter

Re: Day 1 Draft Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
D-. Excellent trade by Cerrato. Brilliant even.

There's a 50% chance that 2 out the 3 players drafted today never starts a game for the Redskins. Davis is a good selection, but he's not going to beat out Cooley. Kelly should beat Thomas out, and he should replace ARE in the starting lineup by 2009. But how certain are we that Kelly will develop as expected.

The only thing we know about Kelly is that he's probably better than Devin Thomas. I'm not even sure he will ever develop into a quality starting receiver. We are making a leap of faith there, and hopefully we don't get spurned.

Regarding Thomas...at least Taylor Jacobs was a hard worker
How do you know TJ is a harder worker then Thomas? I think Thomas could be great and he could be why did we every make that pick! He has the tools that Jacobs never had! So untill any college player gets up against NFL players we will never know!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

The more I think about this draft, the more I think our team may be in good shape. Obviously to the Redskins FO the lack of offense from last season was an issue. JC now has Santana Moss, ARE, and three tall young receivers in Thomas/Kelly/Mix (lots of competition during training camp I see). At the TE position, we have a Pro Bowl TE paired along side a talented rookie TE. Lots of targets for JC.

The O-Line is a bit of a concern, however we all know Bugel can coach anybody, and I'm sure we can find O-linemen in the later rounds or even UDFAs that he can shape up to be quality back ups...(just look at Stephon Heyer)

The D-Line was a need according to the pundits last year, and well the line fared well without picking up anyone in the first round. Once again, I think depth can be addressed in the later rounds.

Finally, the DBs is the concerned that I have the most. I mean we could look once again for depth in the later rounds, however, I think the team is gambling on a healthy Carlos Rogers.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The more I think about this draft, the more I think our team may be in good shape. Obviously to the Redskins FO the lack of offense from last season was an issue. JC now has Santana Moss, ARE, and three tall young receivers in Thomas/Kelly/Mix (lots of competition during training camp I see). At the TE position, we have a Pro Bowl TE paired along side a talented rookie TE. Lots of targets for JC.

The O-Line is a bit of a concern, however we all know Bugel can coach anybody, and I'm sure we can find O-linemen in the later rounds or even UDFAs that he can shape up to be quality back ups...(just look at Stephon Heyer)

The D-Line was a need according to the pundits last year, and well the line fared well without picking up anyone in the first round. Once again, I think depth can be addressed in the later rounds.

Finally, the DBs is the concerned that I have the most. I mean we could look once again for depth in the later rounds, however, I think the team is gambling on a healthy Carlos Rogers.
You bring up a good point which has been alluded to in the past here (by myself and SBXVII among others).

Are we (possibly) taking OL and DL later because the team is more confident in Bugel and Blache's ability to teach diamonds in the rough than they are with Hixon's ability to do the same with wide receivers?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #19
Luxorreb
^21^

B for value.
Casserly says stay with value before need...
Casserly is a smart man.
I'm excited about Kelly and Thomas but I'm rather confused with TE pick.
I guess everyone is...
Was hoping to get a CB or DL, OL...
We do have quite a few late rounders left.
I'm very thankful we dropped outta the first even though we lost out on S Phillips (who went to the the NYG!) and a few others...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

FIRST OF ALL .. i get frustrated reading comments about how 2 of the 3 picks wont' start .. ?? as stated by " football fans" .. Thomas had a round one grade , Davis is a great college TE who will get catches in our 2 TE set as stated by ZORN on ESPN ... Cooley is not going anywhere but hey what if we had a blocking TE and an H-Back on the field with both being able to catch ??? Maybe i'm just venting, but clearly we had a good day drafting, yes I thought we could have snagged Cambell from Miami for a DE in the second round .. but we did not, and we have plenty o picks tomorrow .. we can snag whatever we need ... RELAX .. all the negative on the WR pick ups is stupid IMO .. would you rather have CJ and all that crap that goes along with him or some WR's with a chance to get the job done ???? I love the picks so far ... HAIL ... i'm done venting ... 3 cheers to a solid DE pick and CB pick tomorrow .. and 3 cheers for winning the last skins' super bowls after the GIANTS ... 87 and 91
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #21
bertoskins2
Special Teams

A- the only question was fred davis. we should have gotten campbell, but then who knows, coach zorn may create mis match with two tough TE's. OL can be drafted in the lower rounds. now lets get D on the second day and enough of the WR/.
bertoskins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You bring up a good point which has been alluded to in the past here (by myself and SBXVII among others).

Are we (possibly) taking OL and DL later because the team is more confident in Bugel and Blache's ability to teach diamonds in the rough than they are with Hixon's ability to do the same with wide receivers?
Positional philosophy. Still, it's hard to ignore the fact that 1-2 of these second round picks won't be able to contribute as a starter.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I have to see the rest of the draft but I think it's going to include Josh Johnson, Marcus Dixon, and hopefully god forbid, an offensive lineman. For now I'll give them a B-. The matchups and packages are all fun to think about, but after a while you worry about the guys upfront.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #24
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Absolutely SS, I think Buges and Blache will be able to work with the later round picks...I mean we have good examples from the past in which both the D-line (Golston, Wilson, Montgomery) and the O-line (Heyer) got good some good performances out of players pick in the late rounds.

The team can now use the rest of the picks to (hopefully) acquire some young players that can add depth to both lines. Also I'd like to see them pick up a DB if possible.

I can also see Buges picking up a kid like Andrew Crummey from UMD as an undrafted free agent and turn him into a decent back up. I also would like to see a good final year out of our current o-line, hopefully without any injuries and some young back ups we can be set.
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #25
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
FIRST OF ALL .. i get frustrated reading comments about how 2 of the 3 picks wont' start .. ?? as stated by " football fans" .. Thomas had a round one grade , Davis is a great college TE who will get catches in our 2 TE set as stated by ZORN on ESPN ... Cooley is not going anywhere but hey what if we had a blocking TE and an H-Back on the field with both being able to catch ??? Maybe i'm just venting, but clearly we had a good day drafting, yes I thought we could have snagged Cambell from Miami for a DE in the second round .. but we did not, and we have plenty o picks tomorrow .. we can snag whatever we need ... RELAX .. all the negative on the WR pick ups is stupid IMO .. would you rather have CJ and all that crap that goes along with him or some WR's with a chance to get the job done ???? I love the picks so far ... HAIL ... i'm done venting ... 3 cheers to a solid DE pick and CB pick tomorrow .. and 3 cheers for winning the last skins' super bowls after the GIANTS ... 87 and 91
Agreed...I mean is not like we're picking them up on the 7th rounds or something like that.
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

A for value picks, but I went B because I think we could have gotten a great D End instead of a TE.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #27
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Given our many needs, we should have used at least ONE pick here on the DL or OL, or at least a DB. Failing to do that was a mistake. We have too many WRs now and not enough linemen. The FO spent so much time focused on WRs that it skewed their thinking and their rankings, IMO. I can see using a 2 TE set, so I'm ok with that, but still. We are NOT a deep team, and we needed to address a lot of areas. After the nice trade-down, this was a disappointment.

C-
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #28
GridIron26
Playmaker

I'm right on between of B and C.

I mean, as sweet it is to have lot of offense weapons.. Thomas and Kelly - they definitely will help our offense to be lot more explosive.. But two WRs? One with one year wonder and one with knee problem? However I like the part in his profile - comparing him to Anquan Boldin.. I think Kelly will work out well for us.. I just wish that we use our first 2nd rd on Calais Campbell or any other DE like Ellis.. As for Fred Davis - it is intriguing.. Zorn must be thinking about something big..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #29
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
D-. Excellent trade by Cerrato. Brilliant even.

There's a 50% chance that 2 out the 3 players drafted today never starts a game for the Redskins. Davis is a good selection, but he's not going to beat out Cooley. Kelly should beat Thomas out, and he should replace ARE in the starting lineup by 2009. But how certain are we that Kelly will develop as expected.

The only thing we know about Kelly is that he's probably better than Devin Thomas. I'm not even sure he will ever develop into a quality starting receiver. We are making a leap of faith there, and hopefully we don't get spurned.

Regarding Thomas...at least Taylor Jacobs was a hard worker
My guess is we will be running Double TE sets but I see what you are saying about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #30
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I'll go C....I loved our first pick, but I just dont get why we didnt take a DE with 48 or 51...I mean what can you do, but seems like were not adressing that need
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote