Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How will chris samuels's retirement affect our cap?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: How will chris samuels's retirement affect our cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
It's unlikely the players will agree to put a cap back in place once it's gone.
Matty said the same thing. Thank you both. I hadn't thought about it that way.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
There is no way there is not going to be some sort of cap back in place. Lets not forget that the owners are the ones that opted out of the cba in order to not pay the players so much. There is no way that the players will actually get more than they would if the original cap were in place.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
There is no way there is not going to be some sort of cap back in place. Lets not forget that the owners are the ones that opted out of the cba in order to not pay the players so much. There is no way that the players will actually get more than they would if the original cap were in place.
U actually made good point; I bet they especially don't like paying too much money on rookies..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #19
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Schneed what happens to the current players contracts once the league goes un-capped? Correct me if I am wrong, but if there is no cba then teams can cut players without any ramifications...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #20
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Schneed what happens to the current players contracts once the league goes un-capped? Correct me if I am wrong, but if there is no cba then teams can cut players without any ramifications...
Was thinkin the same thing myself. I could see us releasing half a dozen guys if this is the case who otherwise we'd be stuck with.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Correct, no cap ramifications at all. Personnel decisions get much simpler...

Can I find someone better to fill this underperforming vet's roster spot, or is the underperforming vet the best I can do?

It becomes a pure football decision, economics are limited only by Danny's cash. Which isn't much of a limit.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #22
Redskins8588
Playmaker

So does it go back to like it was in the 80's where teams could hide players on the roster???
Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #23
Bill B
Impact Rookie

If there is no cap than as many have said the rules get changed a little - here is the big rule change:

Rules for an uncapped year — including a requirement that players need six seasons rather than four to become unrestricted free agents — would take effect in March, a year before the CBA expires. Teams also wouldn't have to spend to the salary minimum or fund player benefits.

So in effect many of the free agents will have 2 more years of mileage on them making them even more risky - remember the average lifespan of an NFL player is between 3-4 years - so if you are now signing up a bunch of players with 6 years experience you are pushing the envelope.

In my opinion is we go uncapped it would be even more reason that you go to building your team via the draft and the Skins need to get the best GM and front office money can buy. Simply thinking the free agency route will be the easy way to go will become even more of a outdated and incorrect model for building a consistent winner.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #24
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
If there is no cap than as many have said the rules get changed a little - here is the big rule change:

Rules for an uncapped year — including a requirement that players need six seasons rather than four to become unrestricted free agents — would take effect in March, a year before the CBA expires. Teams also wouldn't have to spend to the salary minimum or fund player benefits.

So in effect many of the free agents will have 2 more years of mileage on them making them even more risky - remember the average lifespan of an NFL player is between 3-4 years - so if you are now signing up a bunch of players with 6 years experience you are pushing the envelope.

In my opinion is we go uncapped it would be even more reason that you go to building your team via the draft and the Skins need to get the best GM and front office money can buy. Simply thinking the free agency route will be the easy way to go will become even more of a outdated and incorrect model for building a consistent winner.
Good info. Didnt know about that 6 year thing. What would the salaries of the restricted FA's be?

On a side note, I don't buy that whole 3-4 year thing. The average is that low because of the vast amount of players who arent good enough to play for more than a season or two. I dont view these guys professional football players, they will not make a living off the NFL. Anyone who is any good (worth picking up in FA) plays significantly longer
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
franklinhimself
Special Teams

so basically, this offseason is probably the only offseason we can release salary cap monsters such as portis, moss, samuels (retires) and not be penalized for it?
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #26
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Because the team's not taking the big cap hit for money not yet paid, the team is taking the cap hit for money already paid but not yet realized on the cap.

A player who gets a $20 million signing bonus up front in a 5 year contract has that bonus prorated per year of his contract. So the $20 million bonus counts $4 million per season. If he's due a base salary of $1 million as well, then his total cap number is $5 million.

But if a player plays one year of that contract and then retires, the team has to realize the other $16 million of the bonus money not yet counted on the cap. This outweighs the savings they realize on not having to pay his base salary.

You can see that the earlier in a contract a player is released, the bigger the cap hit.
Gotcha. thanks for the explaination.

Quote:
do you really think thats true? no salary cap means no salary floor. While no salary cap might help a small handful of elite players, the vast majority of players would seem to be "screwed" by the lack of a salary floor.

in the end, the point may be moot. PFT's reported that talks are picking up and subcommittee's have been formed. I think there's a very good chance the CBA will actually be extended before it expires.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Gotcha. thanks for the explaination.

do you really think thats true? no salary cap means no salary floor. While no salary cap might help a small handful of elite players, the vast majority of players would seem to be "screwed" by the lack of a salary floor.

in the end, the point may be moot. PFT's reported that talks are picking up and subcommittee's have been formed. I think there's a very good chance the CBA will actually be extended before it expires.
Well look at baseball, do you see their players association asking for a salary cap to prevent teams like the Royals and Marlins from paying out only like 30 million in payroll expenses?

They don't do that because on the whole, the absence of a cap has driven player salaries up at a faster rate than would have otherwise been the case.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Well look at baseball, do you see their players association asking for a salary cap to prevent teams like the Royals and Marlins from paying out only like 30 million in payroll expenses?

They don't do that because on the whole, the absence of a cap has driven player salaries up at a faster rate than would have otherwise been the case.
baseball sucks. football doesn't. apples and oranges.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
baseball sucks. football doesn't. apples and oranges.
LOL

We can definitely agree that football dominates.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:

Actually the Royals spend 70 million a year, but only 30 million on players who would otherwise be in Major League Baseball if not with the Royals.

That's like if 57% of the Redskins payroll was tied up in deadcap.