79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #46
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Well if JC is such a bad QB, do you want to spend the #4 pick on someone just because they can beat him out?
You can spend the 2nd pick on someone to beat him out. I'm still holding out hope for a trade down.

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #47
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
You can spend the 2nd pick on someone to beat him out. I'm still holding out hope for a trade down.
We definitely could use more picks. Does anyone remember when we had all our picks? But even without a trade, you could still draft an o-line man at #4 and get a QB later. Either with the 2nd or later.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #48
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
We definitely could use more picks. Does anyone remember when we had all our picks? But even without a trade, you could still draft an o-line man at #4 and get a QB later. Either with the 2nd or later.
I think the second round QB pick is risk enough. After the 2nd round it's pretty much a throw away pick. Unlike Offensive Line which is more likely to be found all over the draft. I mean maybe you'll get Matt Schuab but that will take years to develop and if you do hit on something like a fourth round QB they usually end up being no better then Charlie Frye.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #49
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I think the second round is risk enough. After the 2nd round it's pretty much a throw away pick.
Why?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #50
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Why?
Man that was quick. Anyway edited my answer to explain.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #51
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Man that was quick. Anyway edited my answer to explain.
I'm not so sure we'd have as much chance of getting quality starters at o-line after the 2nd round either. Unless you're talking about guys like Rinehart. There have been some pretty good QB's taken in the later rounds. What I'd like to see is a comparison of how many o-linemen vs how many QB's taken in the first round, percentage-wise, who went on to start in the last 10 years. Or more importantly, in the first 5 picks. It may not be fair because some of the linemen went on to start at a different position which gives them more of a chance of contributing.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #52
53Fan
Franchise Player

Todd McShay was just interviewed during halftime of the East-West Shrine game and has us picking Anthony Davis. He has KC picking Okung at #5. He also said in his opinion, Bradford is the only QB that should be drafted in the first round.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #53
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
I'm not so sure we'd have as much chance of getting quality starters at o-line after the 2nd round either. Unless you're talking about guys like Rinehart. There have been some pretty good QB's taken in the later rounds. What I'd like to see is a comparison of how many o-linemen vs how many QB's taken in the first round, percentage-wise, who went on to start in the last 10 years. Or more importantly, in the first 5 picks. It may not be fair because some of the linemen went on to start at a different position which gives them more of a chance of contributing.
Many of the lines in Denver were made up of 4th and 5th round picks and were easily considered among the best lines in the league. Shanahans most recent starting line was made up of a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 1st round pick. Ironically this year under McDaniels the line struggled in part because of the switch from Shanahan's scheme to McEgo's. Or as I've seen Denver fans put it, we've gone from one of the leagues best lines under Shanahan to one of the worst under McEgo.

More locally the Giants line was made up of a 4th, 5th, 2 undrafted free agents, and a second round pick.

As far as numbers for QB's. Only thing I can tell you is that many of the QB's at the top and bottom were selected in the top 32 (Brees is considered a second round pick by many but today he would have been the last pick of the first round). 4 out of the 5 best QB's in terms of QB rating were top 32 picks and 4 of the bottom 5 were first round picks.

Ironically as far as the pro bowl goes, it seems to be a mix of first round picks and UDFA's. Same with QB's.

Also worth noting is the last line that Clinton Portis worked with in Denver was made up of a 1st, 4th, 3rd, 7th, and UDFA. Ironically in that group the first round pick might have been the worst of the bunch.

My own personal prediction see's us adding a tackle in the first or second round and maybe an interior lineman in the fourth though it would be better if they could add a second tackle. I personally feel like Edwin Williams and Kory Lichtensteiger are going to work out well for our interior. Heck Casey Rabach might have his best season for the first time in a while. The thing we do know right now is that we need two tackles. Maybe for now the best COA would be to add one this year early in the draft and use Levi Jones as a stopgap at RT but theres a lot of time between now and the draft.

The most important thing however, as far as O-Line is concerned, could be the creation of a pipeline in which we bring in mid round picks on an annual basis to develop and eventually earn a starting job.

- FRPLG
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #54
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Many of the lines in Denver were made up of 4th and 5th round picks and were easily considered among the best lines in the league. Shanahans most recent starting line was made up of a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 1st round pick. Ironically this year under McDaniels the line struggled in part because of the switch from Shanahan's scheme to McEgo's. Or as I've seen Denver fans put it, we've gone from one of the leagues best lines under Shanahan to one of the worst under McEgo.

More locally the Giants line was made up of a 4th, 5th, 2 undrafted free agents, and a second round pick.

As far as numbers for QB's. Only thing I can tell you is that many of the QB's at the top and bottom were selected in the top 32 (Brees is considered a second round pick by many but today he would have been the last pick of the first round). 4 out of the 5 best QB's in terms of QB rating were top 32 picks and 4 of the bottom 5 were first round picks.

Ironically as far as the pro bowl goes, it seems to be a mix of first round picks and UDFA's. Same with QB's.

Also worth noting is the last line that Clinton Portis worked with in Denver was made up of a 1st, 4th, 3rd, 7th, and UDFA. Ironically in that group the first round pick might have been the worst of the bunch.

My own personal prediction see's us adding a tackle in the first or second round and maybe an interior lineman in the fourth though it would be better if they could add a second tackle. I personally feel like Edwin Williams and Kory Lichtensteiger are going to work out well for our interior. Heck Casey Rabach might have his best season for the first time in a while. The thing we do know right now is that we need two tackles. Maybe for now the best COA would be to add one this year early in the draft and use Levi Jones as a stopgap at RT but theres a lot of time between now and the draft.

The most important thing however, as far as O-Line is concerned, could be the creation of a pipeline in which we bring in mid round picks on an annual basis to develop and eventually earn a starting job.
Well there are 32 starting QB's in the NFL and there are 160 starting o-linemen. They can't all be #1 picks, but teams like the Jets who do have more than 1 on the o-line seem to be doing pretty well and I would certainly give their line more credit than their QB. One of those #1 QB picks is our own JC who we would be replacing because he's.....not good enough?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #55
53Fan
Franchise Player

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but should we try to have the best o-line in the league or just be pretty good?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #56
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but should we try to have the best o-line in the league or just be pretty good?
Would you rather have Peyton Manning or the Jets offensive line?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #57
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Those pretty good O-Lines you're referring to produced multiple 1,000 yard rushers, frequently were among the top of the league in total rushing, and were generally considered among the elite units in the league. You don't need a bunch of first round picks to run this system. If you want to run a power running scheme like the Jets then probably but in a zone blocking scheme you can have your pick of the litter throughout the draft.

Quote:
Todd McShay was just interviewed during halftime of the East-West Shrine game and has us picking Anthony Davis. He has KC picking Okung at #5. He also said in his opinion, Bradford is the only QB that should be drafted in the first round.
Anthony Davis would be a great pick. He was the #1 rated O-Line prospect coming out of high school (a la Michael Oher who ended up easily being the best rookie lineman last year). On top of that he has a ton of upside and is very light on his feet.

As for the QB's, Kiper and McShay seem to be pretty far apart on their QB evaluations. Kiper thinks that Clausen is the best QB prospect to come around in a long time while McShay has him as a second round pick. I guess the best thing to do would be to take it with a grain of salt.

By the way you are a pain in the ass for not agreeing with me

- FRPLG
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #58
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Would you rather have Peyton Manning or the Jets offensive line?
Would you rather have Ryan Leaf or the Jets offensive line? I don't think there's any guarantee's we'd be getting a Peyton Manning.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #59
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Those pretty good O-Lines you're referring to produced multiple 1,000 yard rushers, frequently were among the top of the league in total rushing, and were generally considered among the elite units in the league. You don't need a bunch of first round picks to run this system. If you want to run a power running scheme like the Jets then probably but in a zone blocking scheme you can have your pick of the litter throughout the draft.

Anthony Davis would be a great pick. He was the #1 rated O-Line prospect coming out of high school (a la Michael Oher who ended up easily being the best rookie lineman last year). On top of that he has a ton of upside and is very light on his feet.

As for the QB's, Kiper and McShay seem to be pretty far apart on their QB evaluations. Kiper thinks that Clausen is the best QB prospect to come around in a long time while McShay has him as a second round pick. I guess the best thing to do would be to take it with a grain of salt.

By the way you are a pain in the ass for not agreeing with me
I didn't say I disagree with you Dirtbag, just making discussion. What's the first thing a pain in the ass says? "I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass."
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #60
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
And then the obvious disclaimer: even if you don't believe that Jason Campbell has much of a future in Washington, there are still 9 (8, if both TEs are counted) positions on the offense where we are receiving less per-play production than quarterback. And of the 8, only Antwaan Randle El is really even providing close to the level of expected production, and I don't believe he's all that irreplaceable in the greater sense. [The stats don't say "Randle El shouldn't be cut" but they do say that "everyone else that isn't Randle El probably should be"]

Not all of those positions can be addressed in one draft, and not all those positions would be practical targets with the 4th overall pick. The point is: that's a whole lot of non-quarterback related suck, and to say that there's no one we can find at No. 4 overall except Okung that would fix the problem seems like kind of a defeatist attitude. There's got to be a WR, RB, or OL not named Russell Okung who is worthy of the 4th overall pick. I would think.
The funny thing about taking a Tackle at 4 is that Davis might be the perfect fit over Okung. Aside from the reasons I listed before Davis played in a Zone Blocking Scheme at Rutgers. Even if we don't go OT first we might still end up with a perfect fit in Charles Brown (T USC). Selvish Capers could also be a quality fit due to his experience with zone blocking.

USC Trojan Football Analysis
"Since 2002 zone blocking has been a critical success factor for the overall USC running game. In an average game for USC there might be 36 running plays for ..."

- FRPLG