Tendered Chris Thompson $0.7M
Tendered Duke Ihenacho $1.7M
Resigned LB Mason Foster $1.1M
Resigned QB Colt McCoy $1.8M
Resigned DL Kedric Golston $0.6M
Resigned TE Logan Paulsen $0.6M
Signed DL Kendall Reyes $2.5M
Franchise Tag - Kirk Cousins: $19.9M
Net Six Players Removed from top 51: ($3.0M)
Total 2016 Cap on Rule of 51 Roster: $145.2M

Current Cap Room: $16.0M

Potential Cuts with Savings Net of Rule of 51:
Pierre Garcon $7.5M
Desean Jackson $6.3M
DeAngelo Hall $3.0M
Perry Riley $3.5M
Andre Roberts $2.5M
Kory Lichtensteiger $2.5M
there are others but their impact would be less than $1.0M so I won't bother

Caveats:

The team will not likely cut all of the players listed. It may rework some of their contracts, or ask for pay cuts. I personally think they will (and should) keep DeSean, Pierre, Steiger, Hall and Goldson (released). But one could make an argument for cutting ties or reworking contracts. I think Andre Roberts and Perry Riley are definite cut candidates. Hatcher too (released). So instead of laying out a plan, I give you the net cap savings, and you can decide for yourself.

Signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal would likely free up additional cap space in 2016, since the cap impact in the first year of a long term deal is likely to be considerably less than the franchise tag value of $19.9M.

Last edited by Schneed10; 03-11-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: 2016 Redskins Salary Cap Status

Note, if Cousins gets resigned for a huge deal like $17M per season, that does not mean his cap hit in the first year will be $17M. The cap hit can be less in the early years of the contract, depending on the structure of bonuses and guaranteed money. Read Cap 101 if you want to learn more about how the accounting works.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

As always, thanks Schneed.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Note, if Cousins gets resigned for a huge deal like $17M per season, that does not mean his cap hit in the first year will be $17M. The cap hit can be less in the early years of the contract, depending on the structure of bonuses and guaranteed money. Read Cap 101 if you want to learn more about how the accounting works.
I doubt Cousins gets an average of $17 million per year. If so, his cap number could be less than $10 million.

Is any of the contract other than the bonus guaranteed ?
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
I doubt Cousins gets an average of $17 million per year. If so, his cap number could be less than $10 million.

It can be, it can be whatever ends up being negotiated. You can make base salary in the first three years guaranteed if you want.

RG3's rookie deal for example was 100% guaranteed, every penny except for the $16.1M option that was added, that's guaranteed only for injury.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
dmek25
MVP

hatcher
riley
and roberts definitely gone. Goldsons contract should be reworked. not because i think he is a great safety, but from what i have read a very good locker room guy. and at that number i say keep both our WOs
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
hatcher
riley
and roberts definitely gone. Goldsons contract should be reworked. not because i think he is a great safety, but from what i have read a very good locker room guy. and at that number i say keep both our WOs
Agree about Hatcher. With Mason Foster and Keenan Robinson both UFA's after this season, the Skins may end up keeping Riley.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post

Dream on! All Cousins needs to do is say "no" to any Skins contract offer and they'll be forced to franchise him at $19.5MM. I'm pretty sure that Kirk and his agent can do arithmetic.

Isn't time for all of us to realize that Kirk is in the driver's seat in contract negotiations? Simply put, we can't do without him. He is now the most valuable player on the team. Kirk and his agent know that and he's going to get paid.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Agree about Hatcher. With Mason Foster and Keenan Robinson both UFA's after this season, the Skins may end up keeping Riley.
I would keep Foster instead of Riley.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would keep Foster instead of Riley.
Me, too. I've always liked Foster and he's performed well for us. BUT he is an UFA, so he doesn't have to sign with us. If he decides to go elsewhere, it may be prudent to keep Riley who is already signed for 2016.

BTW, I think the Skins will draft an ILB this year. Reggie Ragland, perhaps?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

So looking at the cap sheets, here is another part of the equation. We have some important FA's of our own that need to be addressed. Looking at the cap sheets here are the guys who become UFA's this year (not including RGIII b/c pretty sure he is not being resigned):

Cousins
W. Compton
M. Foster
K. Robinson
T. Knighton
C. Thompson
D. Young
L. Paulsen

Of these, who do we let walk, who do we try to reup?
I think Cousins and Compton are no-brainers and we shouldn't jerk them around. These are the priority resignings.

While others may disagree, I think Knighton is close to a priority - he brings a lot to the table (both figuratively and literally). We should make every reasonable effort to resign him.

Foster is another "make every reasonable effort" resigning.

Other than those, the only ones out of the rest that I really make an effort for is Thompson and Young. However, they may not even make a move for Young given how little they use him.

Paulson and LeRib are eminently replaceable guys who need to make vet min deals to stick around.

Robinson is tricky, given his benching, they will probably just let him walk as both Compton and Foster are UFA's and Riley could become a cap casualty, he may benefit being in the right place at the right time for a position that is in flux. A lot depends on how the ILB UFA market shakes out.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
So looking at the cap sheets, here is another part of the equation. We have some important FA's of our own that need to be addressed. Looking at the cap sheets here are the guys who become UFA's this year (not including RGIII b/c pretty sure he is not being resigned):

Cousins
W. Compton
M. Foster
K. Robinson
T. Knighton
C. Thompson
D. Young
L. Paulsen

I think Cousins and Compton are no-brainers and we shouldn't jerk them around. These are the priority resignings.

While others may disagree, I think Knighton is close to a priority - he brings a lot to the table (both figuratively and literally). We should make every reasonable effort to resign him.

Other than those, the only ones out of the rest that I really make an effort for is Thompson and Young. However, they may not even make a move for Young given how little they use him.

Paulson and LeRib are eminently replaceable guys who need to make vet min deals to stick around.

Robinson is tricky, given his benching, they will probably just let him walk as both Compton and Foster are UFA's and Riley could become a cap casualty, he may benefit being in the right place at the right time for a position that is in flux. A lot depends on how the ILB UFA market shakes out.
Isn't Compton an RFA? If so, that's good for the Skins.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

Cousins
W. Compton
M. Foster
K. Robinson
T. Knighton
C. Thompson
D. Young
L. Paulsen

Agree with this. And to add, I think the reason Pot Roast is...A) extremely limited market at NT B) Performance...solid

And ILB is very interesting...

I think Foster is a decent piece, but I would look to upgrade or draft there. Spaight on IR, rookie from last year should be in the mix. Robinson could be retained to back up Compton...Compton has proven to be a decent starter and it wont take a huge contract to lock him up. Riley is gone period.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Dream on! All Cousins needs to do is say "no" to any Skins contract offer and they'll be forced to franchise him at $19.5MM. I'm pretty sure that Kirk and his agent can do arithmetic.

Isn't time for all of us to realize that Kirk is in the driver's seat in contract negotiations? Simply put, we can't do without him. He is now the most valuable player on the team. Kirk and his agent know that and he's going to get paid.
I like Kirk, however he has had 1 good year. At this time last year all the "experts" here wanted to trade him or make him 3rd string. The Redskins have been burned on lots of big contracts... it would be wise to explore the market before committing to a big long term. And the key will be the structure of the contract- bonus money and length.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Our contract guys have been great at writing mutually beneficial contracts. I think KC would like to stay here, and the Skins certainly want him too. I will truly be shocked if a) we franchise him, or b) the contract has crazy numbers in it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote