6 or less 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #46
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Season Predictions - post them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Just curious, what holes do you see in the roster - given that no roster has superstars at every position.
A 33 year old dude who had two practices under his belt probably became our #1 running back, I doubt our training staff can keep him glued together.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #47
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Anybody other than me old enough to remember when preseason was 6 games long? I think that was a little over 40 years ago.
I do. In those days, a lot of players held off-season jobs simply because they didn't make much, the average salary was 27,500. (for comparison, the average salary of a new college graduate was between 8K -12K).

Those were the days when there wasn't year round conditioning, OTA's, and 24/7 coverage even in the offseason. Training camp was when players got "conditioned." Now, the expectation is that you are preparing year-round are coming into camp at pro level physical condition. Plus, with all the OTA's, players should have already learned the scheme basics and camp is the time to fully implement the playbook.

Just a completely different game from back then. The huge influx of money into the league through mega-media deals changed the game completely.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #48
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Just curious, what holes do you see in the roster - given that no roster has superstars at every position.
I personally see holes in coaching. I don't think we have the d coordinator or scheme, nor a good enough pass rush (just hasnt been displayed yet i hope im wrong but the front 7 has lacked creativity for YEARS) to keep our young secondary from getting lost or just getting gassed...... i think that Jay is just mediocre but shows some flashes of briliance while calling. Hes a scared coach in a lot of bad situations. ... I honestly think with a different coaching staff this roster, may be more successful. But my record prediction, goes with youth in certain units, but mostly on coaching.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #49
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

Skins finally win a season opener under Gruden, and ASmith doesn't fade like Cousins. His drive to get further in the playoffs leads this team on a winning streak deep into the playoffs, NFC Championship is in our grasp till Gruden goes for 5 FG's at the 3 yard line and we lose the divisional playoff 21 - 15
I will drink the Kool-Aid after they go 3-0. If not, I refuse to buy into this team/coach yet again.

As for their holes: run blocking. Whether its talent, scheme, OL, WR, or TE's, they have not consistently blocked well for the RB's. Not that our RBs have been anything to write home about, but I think our "yards before contact" has consistently been one of the worst in the league.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #50
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
I personally see holes in coaching. I don't think we have the d coordinator or scheme, nor a good enough pass rush (just hasnt been displayed yet i hope im wrong but the front 7 has lacked creativity for YEARS) to keep our young secondary from getting lost or just getting gassed...... i think that Jay is just mediocre but shows some flashes of briliance while calling. Hes a scared coach in a lot of bad situations. ... I honestly think with a different coaching staff this roster, may be more successful. But my record prediction, goes with youth in certain units, but mostly on coaching.
I can subscribe to this, especially describing Gruden as a scared coach. I'm willing to give the DLine a pass because last year before Allen and Ionnaidis went out our D was a different animal.

I still think talent wise, our team is in the top 8 of the NFL
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I will drink the Kool-Aid after they go 3-0. If not, I refuse to buy into this team/coach yet again.

As for their holes: run blocking. Whether its talent, scheme, OL, WR, or TE's, they have not consistently blocked well for the RB's. Not that our RBs have been anything to write home about, but I think our "yards before contact" has consistently been one of the worst in the league.
I remember CT finding holes just fine, and Brandon Scherff blasting people 5-10 yards downfield.

TE's you are correct sir.

Losing Guice was a big hit (if he played to expectations) and I don't think AP fills it perfectly (or that Gruden will use him right)
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #52
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
It's inevitable we're moving towards a 2 game preseason, 18 game regular season, with expanded rosters too
I agree. The players wont go to 18 games without more roster spots and maybe another bye week. What I'm trying to figure out is what's in it for the owners. They already force the season ticket holder to buy the entire preseason at regular season prices. Maybe the longer season would increase the price of the tv deal but would that be enough for the owners to say yes?
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude

This talk that All Day doesn't have it anymore is overblown. Jump-Stop and bounce, homie.

https://www.redskins.com/video/break...redskins-debut
Old 08-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This talk that All Day doesn't have it anymore is overblown. Jump-Stop and bounce, homie.

https://www.redskins.com/video/break...redskins-debut
I think he could really be a strong addition if healthy.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Please watch that All-22 breakdown I just linked to. A couple pertinent points:

- On the first play, he jump stops as the LB fills the hole and escapes to the left. Neither Kelley nor Perine have the ability to make that play. They may jump stop as the LB approaches, but they're not agile enough to explode from the stop and break away to the left.

- On the second play, the Iso Lead, note fullback JP Holtz meets the LB in the hole between Roullier and Scherff. There's very little space in that hole, since Holtz was met at the point of attack. AP squirts through what looks like no hole. That's what NFL runners have to do, and it's what Perine and Kelley can't do. Perine especially was used to massive holes at Oklahoma. In the NFL you have to find space, and sometimes make some yourself. All Day finds a crack just wide enough to wiggle through.

- On the third play that was more Vernon's quality block on Chubb that sprung that play than anything Peterson did. But that's why he'll succeed as a Redskin - the blocking here is better than what he had his last two seasons in Minnesota and anything he had in Arizona.

All Day goes 4.3+ yards per carry and 1000+ yards on the season. Book it.

And don't call it Kool Aid unless you bring me some All 22, haters.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #56
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I agree. The players wont go to 18 games without more roster spots and maybe another bye week. What I'm trying to figure out is what's in it for the owners. They already force the season ticket holder to buy the entire preseason at regular season prices. Maybe the longer season would increase the price of the tv deal but would that be enough for the owners to say yes?

Jerry Jones seems to think there’s about a billion dollars in extra revenue out there by adding 2 more games, I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about and honestly if there wasn’t more $$ involved why else would they want the extra games
Old 08-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #57
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Please watch that All-22 breakdown I just linked to. A couple pertinent points:

- On the first play, he jump stops as the LB fills the hole and escapes to the left. Neither Kelley nor Perine have the ability to make that play. They may jump stop as the LB approaches, but they're not agile enough to explode from the stop and break away to the left.

- On the second play, the Iso Lead, note fullback JP Holtz meets the LB in the hole between Roullier and Scherff. There's very little space in that hole, since Holtz was met at the point of attack. AP squirts through what looks like no hole. That's what NFL runners have to do, and it's what Perine and Kelley can't do. Perine especially was used to massive holes at Oklahoma. In the NFL you have to find space, and sometimes make some yourself. All Day finds a crack just wide enough to wiggle through.

- On the third play that was more Vernon's quality block on Chubb that sprung that play than anything Peterson did. But that's why he'll succeed as a Redskin - the blocking here is better than what he had his last two seasons in Minnesota and anything he had in Arizona.

All Day goes 4.3+ yards per carry and 1000+ yards on the season. Book it.

And don't call it Kool Aid unless you bring me some All 22, haters.
I'll call it kool aid until the sample size is bigger and we talkin bout the regular season, not jus practice, man.

We talkin bout practice.... man... Lol but nah I agree I think he has the vision and ability to act quickly enough on what he will see in this offense to have a big year for us. Hoping his durability holds up and he'll be off to the races. Pun intended.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #58
MTK
\m/

I have no doubt AP can still play, can he hold up over the course of the whole season? That’s the only question I have. I wouldn’t bet against him.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #59
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I have no doubt AP can still play, can he hold up over the course of the whole season? That’s the only question I have. I wouldn’t bet against him.
agreed
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #60
Schneed10
A Dude

I think what you'll see is defenses will still recognize that All Day is enough of a breakaway threat that it will open up possibilities for our passing game.

You've also never seen Peterson paired up with a QB that can run RPOs effectively and threaten with his own mobility on read options. On one hand you question whether that will fit with Peterson's style, on the other hand you wonder whether that opens up additional lanes for him to run through.

We'll see. I'm extremely optimistic. I don't think he'll quite give us what Guice would have, but it will be pretty darn close.