Doughty to start over Horton

Doughty to start over Horton - DC Pro Sports Report

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: Doughty to start over Horton

Probably won't make too much of a difference. Doughty has been showing good promise though.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Probably won't make too much of a difference. Doughty has been showing good promise though.
Essentially my thought. It could make a difference if Doughty plays pass coverage better than Horton has this season. Doughty has looked better this season than Horton. I am a Horton fan, but you have to produce consistently and he has not done that.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:

Doughty has been looking pretty good. I am sure they will be switching in and out a lot.

I thought the Predator had been playing pretty well too. He did have that PI in the last game but a wideout running free is usually a mismatch against any saftey. I have seen Doughty get burned on the same play more times than I would like to remember.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I told you byatches! Just don't put me (Reed Doughty) in coverage. That's not my strength.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
freddyg12
Playmaker

Doughty played well & was the best tackler on the team sunday in terms of form. I imagine Blache plans to stack the box more so on sunday to stop the run. I think RD can play the cover 2 alright, just don't want him matched up 1 -1 on any wr.

I thought that PI call on Horton was bogus. He turned his head & was essentially penalized for having position. I'd like to see PI calls challengable. Let the booth make the judgement. Like a charge in b'ball, it's the toughest call to make w/consistency.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Horton has been ok this year but has made some glaring mistakes (missed tackles-esp. on Steven Jackson's 65 yd run, pass interference) but Doughty has made the most of his opportunities. I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't move Landry to SS and insert Moore as the starting FS though given our struggles in the run game.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Yeah not mad at this move. Don't really think Doughty is better in coverage. But he hasn't whiffed on plays like Horton and Landry. I really think Landry is more of the issue. But maybe Doughty can make those issues less obvious and maybe is better working with Landry than Horton. I have seen Landry and Horton attack the line of scrimmage on running plays and both of them whiffed. So I am not mad at this decision.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

I'm sure this decision came from DS because he no longer trust Zorn to make these decisions. I also read that DS might sit in the booth and call in the O plays. He is just letting Zorn stay on the field so he does not look bad for picking Zorn as the coach.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Yeah not mad at this move. Don't really think Doughty is better in coverage. But he hasn't whiffed on plays like Horton and Landry. I really think Landry is more of the issue. But maybe Doughty can make those issues less obvious and maybe is better working with Landry than Horton. I have seen Landry and Horton attack the line of scrimmage on running plays and both of them whiffed. So I am not mad at this decision.
I'm thinking they'll probably put Horton in for most coverage plays. Try to keep doughty in on plays like blitzes, etc. For the run stop basically.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm thinking they'll probably put Horton in for most coverage plays. Try to keep doughty in on plays like blitzes, etc. For the run stop basically.
Why they weren't doing that from jump street is beyond me? Doughty is better at the run and at blitzes, but Horton is better in coverage.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
an23dy
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Horton has been ok this year but has made some glaring mistakes (missed tackles-esp. on Steven Jackson's 65 yd run, pass interference) but Doughty has made the most of his opportunities. I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't move Landry to SS and insert Moore as the starting FS though given our struggles in the run game.
I feel like Doughty/Horton and Landry would be better at stopping the run than Landry/Moore, but maybe that's just because I'm used to seeing Doughty/Horton in the box and Landry in pass coverage.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Doughty played well & was the best tackler on the team sunday in terms of form. I imagine Blache plans to stack the box more so on sunday to stop the run. I think RD can play the cover 2 alright, just don't want him matched up 1 -1 on any wr.

I thought that PI call on Horton was bogus. He turned his head & was essentially penalized for having position. I'd like to see PI calls challengable. Let the booth make the judgement. Like a charge in b'ball, it's the toughest call to make w/consistency.
idk imo it looked like horton ran/bumped into him as he was trying to catch up to a receiver who had slowed down/tried to adjust his body to catch the incoming ball. on replays it def showed contact before the ball was there.

zorn spoke about this the other day, said he sat down with an NFL umpire rep and he showed him why the flag was thrown. zorn said he agreed with the call.

either way, i like reed and horton so its nice to have some decent depth at least at one position.

go skins!!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Doughty has been looking pretty good. I am sure they will be switching in and out a lot.

I thought the Predator had been playing pretty well too. He did have that PI in the last game but a wideout running free is usually a mismatch against any saftey. I have seen Doughty get burned on the same play more times than I would like to remember.
I disagree. In my memory, he's made more great plays in the pass game than he has given up. I remember a few years ago against the Cowboys when he had a GREAT play on a ball to Witten. In general I think he's more disciplined than Horton.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
idk imo it looked like horton ran/bumped into him as he was trying to catch up to a receiver who had slowed down/tried to adjust his body to catch the incoming ball. on replays it def showed contact before the ball was there.

zorn spoke about this the other day, said he sat down with an NFL umpire rep and he showed him why the flag was thrown. zorn said he agreed with the call.

either way, i like reed and horton so its nice to have some decent depth at least at one position.

go skins!!
Another reason for me to not like Zorn as our HC.

Horton caught up with the receiver and turned his head to look for the ball. It wasn't a flagrant call. I thought the ref could have let that play stand without calling a foul. Zorn should have stood up for his player.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote