Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What if Fred started 16 games?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #31
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Im a real Chris Cooley fan, but we need extra picks to use on the OL...Cooley would easily fetch a 2nd rounder....An extra 2nd rounder would essentially let us draft a 1st round QB, 2nd round OT & 2nd round OT....
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I hope he is a break out player next year but he is a 4.5 guy, DBs are not going to be scared of his speed.
I just don't understand what some people see in him at this point that says he can play in this league.
Yeah and he's 6'5 and weighs 255lbs. Did you see him play at USC?? He's a baller. All this guy needs is to keep learning how to be a pro and the sky is the limit for this kid. I think we've got a keeper with Davis. Sorry Cooley but you're trade bait cause this guy a physical presense in the red zone.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #33
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
This guy has only started 8 GAMES! And has 40 catches and 6 TD'S... If he started 16 games for us this year he would easily have 10 TD'S and around 80 REC. I Love COOLEY but I think this kid is going to be even better. IMO he would have been a Pro Bowler if started all year, this is why many ppl had him a first round selection in 08. O and 4 straight games with a REC TD, when is the last time that's happen for us?

Fred Davis
Assuming all else was equal, why the hell would you keep Cooley? Jersey sales? Sentimental reasons? Makes no sense. Would the perennially elite teams even think twice about this? This is the ultimate no-brainer. Davis is younger. End of discussion.

Who was the last team to win the Super Bowl BECAUSE they had 2 good, high-paid pass catching TEs. Trade Cooley and move on.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #34
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
yes he has but you can't say he did that all on his own, it has a huge deal to do with the play calling, huge, right now davis is pretty much the only receiver we have producing anything besides thomas, it's a different coach with different play calling utilizing different receivers.

btw cooley did what davis is doing in is second year in his first year

2004 Washington Redskins 16 9 rec 37 yds 314 avg 8.5 lng 31 td 6

2009 Washington Redskins 14 8 rec 40 yds 434 avg 10.9 lng 29 td 6

again if someone could give any reasons why two te's will not work in a wco i am all ears
Because they are both expensive and the team has big holes elsewhere. Davis started 14 games? Cooley had 6TDs in a full season. Davis has 6 TDs, has only started a handful of games and still has 2 to go. I don't know why this is even a legit discussion. TEs are not THAT important, let alone 2 of them. Who was the Pats TE when they won 3?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
What if we start creating two set of TEs plays? We have two talented TEs, we just need to get creative w/ plays.. LBs could not over both Cooley and Davis; we can start using rushing plays whole lot more, it would become easier to use Cooley and Davis at same time.. This would set up nice play action plays, only if the offense coordinator (or head coach) knows when to use it..

Why would we want to trade away our best weapon, Cooley? If it wasn't for him, our offense would have been whole lot worse.. Now then, Davis is nice addition.. Redskins FO knew that we were going to draft a talented TE when we already have Cooley.. We should have prepared for it but we weren't..
The Offense sucked when Cooley was playing, so he can't be THAT important.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #36
Pocket$ $traight

Doing some research Davis basically had the same 40 time as Malcolm Kelly. I honestly think that Davis creates mismatches enough that they should do what USC did and make him the #1 receiver. Line him up outside, line him up in the slots, run slants etc. This guy is a freak of nature.

Shanny knows what to do with a tight end. Say hello to Shannon Sharpe part 2...
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #37
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Who was the last team to win the Super Bowl BECAUSE they had 2 good, high-paid pass catching TEs. Trade Cooley and move on.
Who the hell cares if there isn't any team that has utilized two good TEs? No team has ever utilized wildcat formations until Dolphins brought it back last year.. We can be the first team to utilize TEs plays; this would open up our running game..

Perhaps you are misinformed; Cooley is making big bucks, but Davis is not.. Davis is playing on 2nd rounder rookie salary, which is not big bucks compared to Randle El or Portis or Moss, which the players are not worth the money..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #38
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
The Offense sucked when Cooley was playing, so he can't be THAT important.
The offense this year sucks, yes.. But in Cooley's whole career (except for this year and maybe rookie year), he's been very productive for us.. He always makes 3rd downs catches.. Can you really imagine our offense without Cooley in it in last few years? If it wasn't for Cooley, either Moss or Portis would be our "superstar" on offense.. And neither of those players would be #1 on other many teams..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

So if FD started 16 games he would put up... Cooley numbers?

It's funny how quickly we cast guys aside.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So if FD started 16 games he would put up... Cooley numbers?

It's funny how quickly we cast guys aside.

I still think Davis is more explosive and has a HUGE upside.. I love Cooley don't get me wrong but I would rather see CC go instead of 86..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #41
Kalisto2010
Special Teams

This is heartbreaking for me. Cooley is my favorite player on the Skins, my heart is with Cooley, but my head is with Fred Davis.
Kalisto2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 AM   #42
bigm29
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
Davis is more athletic, but Cooley has better hands and can break more tackles. It would be nice to keep both, but if we can get enough for Cooley in a trade, I say do it. It would have to be at least a second round pick, probably more, for me to be happy with it.
Quote:
This is heartbreaking for me. Cooley is my favorite player on the Skins, my heart is with Cooley, but my head is with Fred Davis.
Both of these people nailed it to me. Also 2 tight end sets does not seem to work on any other team and so TE's are not THAT important. Unless we figure something out, which I doubt we will, I wouldn't mind letting Cooley go but only for AT LEAST a 2nd round pick. Then just draft some fucking O-LINE!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
Both of these people nailed it to me. Also 2 tight end sets does not seem to work on any other team and so TE's are not THAT important. Unless we figure something out, which I doubt we will, I wouldn't mind letting Cooley go but only for AT LEAST a 2nd round pick. Then just draft some fucking O-LINE!!!
If you give a lot of balls to two TE's, there are not many balls left for the wideouts, which reduces the overall dynamism of the offense regardless of who the TE's are.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #44
12thMan
MVP

Thing is it's not a popular thing to talk about 'round these parts. You know, lettin Cooley go and all. But I would have to think, at the very least, it's on the table. Fred Davis is going to be a stud; Stevie Wonder can see that. I think they roll with both guys next year and cut one of them loose the following year for sure. Tight ends just don't make or break your team.

Truth is unless your name is Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees, no one is above being traded in the NFL.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #45
bigm29
Special Teams

Just out of curiosity how many people would trade Cooley for a 2nd (hopefully a 1st) round pick this offseason?