Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

how bout short?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

how bout short?

Now that Armstead's gone how bout we take another Giant to fill his shoes. Branden Short is a young, healthy olb that isn't flashy but gets the job done. We could get him for a descent price and have a good fill for the future. NOT TO MENTION we would be reuniting him with former college teamate LaVar Arrington which may help the lb's gell quicker. And while I'm here...anyone else hoping we get Sean Taylor with the 5th pick? or maybe even Vince Wilfork.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
Scott
Special Teams

Is short available? He is a great LB, but I still stick by my first thought that Pierce is a star in the making...also anybody remember the guy Lemar Marshall from camp and preseason? He seemed to have a lot of talent too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
beg8878
Special Teams

Short would be good to pair with Arrington again....like their PSU days. but I don't think he is available, and I am not sure why the giants would make a trade with a division rival.....
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

free agent

I read in a poll of the top 50 free agents that Short could be picked up. Also, I do not see Peirce filling the hole at lb very well. He never impressed in pre-season and only makes dumb mistakes on special teams. Short would be a much better fit.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
dieselhog
Special Teams

I'd like to see Pierce get a shot too. Is he a free agent himself? I seem to recall that he might be, not sure.

:confused:
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

After that stunt in Dallas last season, when he gave the Cowpies a first down after forcing a field goal -- Pierce can carry his ass.

We cannot have linebackers with such limited intelligence on a Joe Gibbs coached team.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
dieselhog
Special Teams

I'd forgotten about that......

I'm just wondering about how the Skins are going to make all these pieces fit. Like everyone else here, I just want free agency to start so we can find out. The suspense is killing me!!

dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
After that stunt in Dallas last season, when he gave the Cowpies a first down after forcing a field goal -- Pierce can carry his ass.

We cannot have linebackers with such limited intelligence on a Joe Gibbs coached team.
That was inexperience. If you remember, the coaches didn't even know that rule at the time. This year's staff will undoubtedly be better teachers than Edwards and company. I can't really blame Pierce for that one.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #9
Phinehas
Special Teams

On Short:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=2236

By the way, you should check out ESPN's guide to Free agents if you haven't already.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa

It lets you look at them by position and gives scores and a summary rating for each. It's a pretty nice little tool.

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinehas
On Short:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=2236

By the way, you should check out ESPN's guide to Free agents if you haven't already.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa

It lets you look at them by position and gives scores and a summary rating for each. It's a pretty nice little tool.

--Phin
Thanks for the links!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I would like to see Eric Barton of the Raiders in the Burgundy and Gold next season. He bought out the right to his contract and would be a major upgrade to Armstead because of his age
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

FA top 50 list

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7119188

here's a list of the top 50 free agents

what do ya think of these guys???

3. Antoine Winfield, CB, Bills: With so many of the top corners franchised, Winfield zooms to the top of the list. But his size (5-9, 180) is a worry to some teams.

6. Damien Woody, G-C, Patriots: Can play both guard and center, which makes him valuable. Started at guard last year, but most teams view him as a center.

8. Jim Kleinsasser, TE, Vikings: We knew he could block, but he emerged last year as a pass-catching threat as well. He's key to the Minnesota running game.

22. Brandon Short, LB, Giants: Steady inside linebacker who doesn't do it with flash, but instead just gets the job done.

. Grant Wistrom, DE, Rams: He is a tough, hard-nosed player who gets the most out of his ability. Is he a star? No. But he's Pro Bowl worthy at times.

47. Orlando Brown, T, Ravens: At 33, his age is a concern, as is his on-field temper. He is a good run blocker, but he can have trouble with speed ends.

I'm not sayin we should get all of um but a few wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
Phinehas
Special Teams

Other than Brown, I really like that list a lot. And Hicks (from the Chiefs) is another possibility at DE, either instead of, or in addition to Wistrom. I think these are the kind of solid players that can come together and, with good coaching, consistently beat teams with flashy, big-name players. The Patriots are the prototypical example of this.

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #14
hank64
Camp Scrub

If Taylor is still around at 5, and he should be, it will be hard to pass up on him. However, I do not think Wilfork is worth a #5. He just seems to get fatter every time I see him.
hank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #15
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
That was inexperience. If you remember, the coaches didn't even know that rule at the time. This year's staff will undoubtedly be better teachers than Edwards and company. I can't really blame Pierce for that one.
That's a fair point. However, it still speaks for boneheaded thinking on Pierce's part. Just after the game on the old site, someone else pointed out the fact that the Cowpies were inside the 5 yard line when they tried the field goal. The best outcome of a penalty if Pierce was able to draw them offsides would have been something like a 25 yard field goal instead of a 20 yarder.

That's just plain common sense. I won't disagree with you about the pathetic coaching last year, but stupid mistakes by players like Pierce was as much to blame as anything else.

Oh well, I'm tired of going back to last season anyway. This is a new year, and new season, and a new coach. Who cares about last year?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote