Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #166
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...-us-otherwise/

NFL planning for full stadiums 'until medical community tells us otherwise

Love it... That should be the plan.
Amen.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #167
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Here in PA, Governor Wolf gave the all clear for professional sports teams to resume practicing and resume games, doing so under the safety guidelines from the CDC.

Wolf has been one of the more careful governors on handling shut-downs. As he should be since PA has been hit pretty hard.

If he's giving the all clear now, then the NFL will certainly have no problem playing games in the fall. Too much money at stake for all sides, even in empty stadiums.
And i suppose too, that similar to baseball, the NFL might be able to work out something where if there are states that don't permit pro sports, they could move some of those games to states that would be open for it. Not sure how that would work, but i do feel time is on our side here as the season doesn't start until 3 months from now, and with things improving a little bit every day, maybe the impact to the NFL season / games, etc., is very minimal.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #168
MTK
\m/

I don't think it's very realistic to expect packed stadiums this season. The NFL can say that's what they're planning on, but that's a best case scenario and probably a long shot at that without a vaccine in place.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #169
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I don't think it's very realistic to expect packed stadiums this season. The NFL can say that's what they're planning on, but that's a best case scenario and probably a long shot at that without a vaccine in place.

Who's to say? You could be right, if, things look exactly like they do today with the virus. But that's probably not gonna be the case.

The virus will either spike hard when the country reopens, or it will continue to decline.

If it continues to decline, over the next 3 months, I think it's highly possible that the NFL's current plan for full stadiums happens.

Time will tell.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #170
skinsfan69
Living Legend

packed stadiums? probably not. but people are going to go and hopefully take the precautions they need to take. as time goes on the massive panic that the media has created will die down. it's already dying down.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #171
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Who's to say? You could be right, if, things look exactly like they do today with the virus. But that's probably not gonna be the case.

The virus will either spike hard when the country reopens, or it will continue to decline.

If it continues to decline, over the next 3 months, I think it's highly possible that the NFL's current plan for full stadiums happens.

Time will tell.
I think we're a long ways off from large gatherings like packed stadiums for sports or concerts. And with massive unemployment who's going to drop hundreds of dollars on a game?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #172
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
I think we're a long ways off from large gatherings like packed stadiums for sports or concerts. And with massive unemployment who's going to drop hundreds of dollars on a game?

It's May 28.

And this virus isn't as deadly as it was supposed to be when we took drastic actions to shut the world down. Positive tests are exploding, but deaths and hospitalizations are still declining.

Sure there will be some to scared to resume normal life. But most will.

There are 3 long months before the regular season starts.

Like I said ... time will tell.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #173
MTK
\m/

Yeah a lot can definitely change in 3 months, like 100,000 dead, and that was with shutting everything down.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #174
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Yeah a lot can definitely change in 3 months, like 100,000 dead, and that was with shutting everything down.
I know i am the resident doom and gloom / armageddon guy here, but even I think that we will never see another widespread lockdown like what we just endured. I think more likely will be hotspot cities will be quarantined IF there is another flare up. Even Dr. Fauci is now saying that it is not a "given" that we see a resurgance of the virus.

I also think that by next year at this time, Coronavirus has been replaced in the media with whatever else is the big talking point. There will be a risk, sure, but slowly and surely i feel like people are getting more confident by the day.

And that is also one way a pandemic ends, when the population decides that the loss of liberty / quality of life, etc. outweighs the risk of the virus. People at some point will "move on" so to speak and go back to living their every day lives again.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #175
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:

That won't happen between now and Aug 28.

Promise you.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #176
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I know i am the resident doom and gloom / armageddon guy here, but even I think that we will never see another widespread lockdown like what we just endured. I think more likely will be hotspot cities will be quarantined IF there is another flare up. Even Dr. Fauci is now saying that it is not a "given" that we see a resurgance of the virus.

I also think that by next year at this time, Coronavirus has been replaced in the media with whatever else is the big talking point. There will be a risk, sure, but slowly and surely i feel like people are getting more confident by the day.

And that is also one way a pandemic ends, when the population decides that the loss of liberty / quality of life, etc. outweighs the risk of the virus. People at some point will "move on" so to speak and go back to living their every day lives again.
Exactly.

When all is said and done, this virus' mortality rates may be 3 times that as the flu. Which would mean that 99.7 per cent of those who get it, survive. People will easily decide that living life will outweigh the risks associated with this form of COVID.

It still sucks to have people die from this ... I lost an aunt and uncle to COVID 19. It's been brutal.

But 0.3% is a far cry from the 3 and 4% some models were predicting back in February/March.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #177
MTK
\m/

Quote:
That won't happen between now and Aug 28.

Promise you.
I don't think so either. I just don't think we're going to see packed stadiums until next year at the earliest. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how we can get there so quickly. That would be an awfully quick turnaround to go from lockdown to stadiums full of people in 6 months without a vaccine or proven treatments. We'll see.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #178
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post

Maybe not from this virus, but long term the next one may not be as forgiving. Hopefully we're better prepared next time.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #179
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

This virus is a long way from being done. For those that say that the fatality rate for this virus is something minuscule, I say do the math. 1.7 million cases, 100,000 dead in three months. There will not be packed stadiums until and unless there is an effective vaccine administered broadly to the population. At best that is months away and not likely this year.

I pray that I am wrong, I fear I am not...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #180
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Exactly.

When all is said and done, this virus' mortality rates may be 3 times that as the flu. Which would mean that 99.7 per cent of those who get it, survive. People will easily decide that living life will outweigh the risks associated with this form of COVID.

It still sucks to have people die from this ... I lost an aunt and uncle to COVID 19. It's been brutal.

But 0.3% is a far cry from the 3 and 4% some models were predicting back in February/March.
I think at one point it was even higher than that. I seem to remember Dr. Fauci giving an initial prediction of 1 million U.S. deaths from it. But i can't remember if he was saying that might be the TOTAL death toll by the time we have a vaccine / effective treatment 2 years down the road or so.