other 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #76
davy
Impact Rookie

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though it’s strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If you’re going to make a name change, just do it. Don’t make the mistake of doing something that’s still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyder’s tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are don’t want to be a mascot at all. If you don’t get that you’re a moron.
You sure you're not offending anybody by using that phrase?

Advertisements
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #77
rocnrik
Playmaker

He doesn’t get it ...I’m taking a break from all this .. you guys figure it out hopefully it works out to your liking ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #78
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though it’s strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If you’re going to make a name change, just do it. Don’t make the mistake of doing something that’s still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyder’s tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are don’t want to be a mascot at all. If you don’t get that you’re a moron.
I'll definitely admit right away I don't have a global and thorough view of the issue.
But I have a hard time thinking there wouldn't be a way to properly and inclusively honor Native American culture.

Isn't part of the issue the fact that because the team doesn't seem to actually do much to honor and support Native communities, it can be perceived as flat out cultural appropriation ?
If it was a process and dialogue with Native communities couldn't it be a good tool to honor, raise awareness and fund projects that would benefit them ?

Maybe it's too late and there's kinda no way to make it up though.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #79
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
You sure you're not offending anybody by using that phrase?
Lemmy's offended.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #80
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I'll definitely admit right away I don't have a global and thorough view of the issue.
But I have a hard time thinking there wouldn't be a way to properly and inclusively honor Native American culture.

Isn't part of the issue the fact that because the team doesn't seem to actually do much to honor and support Native communities, it can be perceived as flat out cultural appropriation ?
If it was a process and dialogue with Native communities couldn't it be a good tool to honor, raise awareness and fund projects that would benefit them ?

Maybe it's too late and there's kinda no way to make it up though.
To me it will be viewed as appropriation either way. The backlash in our society of a member of the wealthy in the United States "buying" the rights to name a team after a minority group would not stand. Even if there is an agreement between a tribal nation that agrees to it. You would see continued financial boycott from investors that would perceive this as exploitation. DC would still hold up a stadium deal. If that was to happen it should have happened already.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #81
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
To me it will be viewed as appropriation either way. The backlash in our society of a member of the wealthy in the United States "buying" the rights to name a team after a minority group would not stand. Even if there is an agreement between a tribal nation that agrees to it. You would see continued financial boycott from investors that would perceive this as exploitation. DC would still hold up a stadium deal. If that was to happen it should have happened already.
Ok.
Maybe I'm just hanging on to a ideal scenario where it could be possible to have it work for everybody, starting with the Natives... From the start I just liked the idea that Natives were represented and honored in the biggest sport of America... Heck anyway I don't have much say in it and I will get along with what ever happens.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #82
v8-7
Camp Scrub

Washington Generals ? who wouldn't want to be named after a team that never won a game and was made fools of on a regular basis ?

Not to mention the team would have to pay for the naming rights ?https://sports.yahoo.com/report-glob...233823854.html

Why would we want to keep honoring native Americans who have blown this thing up despite 90% of the native Americans not being offended by the name in the last poll I have seen ( 2018 ) ?

The Redskins have given millions to native American tribes.

Time to bow down to the liberal pressure ..

Maybe we could be the "Washington Woke "

I'm sure some we fans could find a suitable mascot..
v8-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #83
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8-7 View Post
Washington Generals ? who wouldn't want to be named after a team that never won a game and was made fools of on a regular basis ?

Not to mention the team would have to pay for the naming rights ?https://sports.yahoo.com/report-glob...233823854.html

Why would we want to keep honoring native Americans who have blown this thing up despite 90% of the native Americans not being offended by the name in the last poll I have seen ( 2018 ) ?

The Redskins have given millions to native American tribes.

Time to bow down to the liberal pressure ..

Maybe we could be the "Washington Woke "

I'm sure some we fans could find a suitable mascot..

Oh God. This name change thing is really bringing the good ole boys (aka the idiots) out of the woodwork. Yea it is the liberals dude. Probably Obama and the deep state sending mobs of domestic terrorists to Snyders door right now as we speak!
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #84
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Bingo.

They need to get as far away from any direct correlation to NA as possible or this issue will only continue to fester.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #85
ArizonaSkinFan
Camp Scrub

Agree with all saying to get away from any association with native Americans. Its a shame in my opinion but it is what it is. If they go with Presidents, Monuments, etc. I will be very disappointed.

Red Tails is really growing on me.
ArizonaSkinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #86
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Apparently Rivera is deeply involved and has two names in mind...... I thinking the Riverboats or Ronettes 😄
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #87
mredskins
MVP

DC Defenders?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #88
MTK
\m/

I like Revolution or Renegades, and we can still use the R logos
Old 07-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #89
v8-7
Camp Scrub

Dear Mr punch it in, Please change your name as I find the word "punch" to be too violent.
v8-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #90
Warthog
The Starter

Rivera wants something that honors the military.

Snyder wants a Native American theme.

I thought the RED TAILS was cool, honoring a famous Air Force unit in WWII. But no Native American ties to it.

I think WARRIORS or BRAVES is kind of generic AND already taken in other sports

I could go with MOHAWK or CHEYENNE because these were famous, warrior tribes. But no military ties , except the Cheyenne tribe fought the US Army in the 19th century!

I think it will be hard to come up with a name with a Native American theme AND a MILITARY or Veteran theme. One or the other.

I’d either like RED TAILS or MOHAWKS (Eastern U.S. tribe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote