Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

I'm just thinking ... as the game is about to kick off tonight..

Why exactly are the Tennessee Titans a legit contender and we are a joke when someone picks us for the playoffs?

What do they have a QB? at WR? Is there defensive players better than ours?

Is it a coach thing? An organization thing?

When I look at their roster, then at ours, I just am puzzled...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
dgack
The Starter

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

I believe it may be because we play in the NFC Beast? I'm not saying the AFC South is a cakewalk, but the Colts are no longer invincible, the Jags have been up and down, and the Texans, while I loves me some Andre Johnson on fantasy football, aren't really a legit challenger for anything right now.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
CooleyFanOV
Camp Scrub

Smile Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

I think its because we havnt done anything lately to put us on the radar...We are under the radar! We will not be predicted to win until we show the masses the we are contenders. We tend to see the Skins through rose colored glasses..even the most jaded skins fans still believe that our day is just around the corner.....Most non-skin fans see JC and Snyder (and a few others) as people that will keep us from being competitive. Talking to non-skin fans, I get the impression that other NFL fans view the Skins as if they are not even in the same league as the rest of the teams. We are not even consisdered among other fans as potential contenders...we are not even on the map. We only exist in our own minds...Take a look at other message boards...We are thought of in the same light as the Lions, Bengals etc...Skins fans suffer from the same delusion as our front office....Our front office including management are looking through the same rose colored glasses that us fans are...However the rest of the world looks through different lenses and they do not see what we see..so until we prove to the world that we are any different...get used to being viewed as NON-CONTENDERS
Although these are trying times..I'm actually happy to be right here, right now with the Redskins. I'm standing by our owner. Joe Gibbs instilled Dan Snyder with the tools to do the right thing. We will return to the glory days!
CooleyFanOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
backrow
The Starter

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyFanOV View Post
I think its because we havnt done anything lately to put us on the radar...We are under the radar! We will not be predicted to win until we show the masses the we are contenders. We tend to see the Skins through rose colored glasses..even the most jaded skins fans still believe that our day is just around the corner.....Most non-skin fans see JC and Snyder (and a few others) as people that will keep us from being competitive. Talking to non-skin fans, I get the impression that other NFL fans view the Skins as if they are not even in the same league as the rest of the teams. We are not even consisdered among other fans as potential contenders...we are not even on the map. We only exist in our own minds...Take a look at other message boards...We are thought of in the same light as the Lions, Bengals etc...Skins fans suffer from the same delusion as our front office....Our front office including management are looking through the same rose colored glasses that us fans are...However the rest of the world looks through different lenses and they do not see what we see..so until we prove to the world that we are any different...get used to being viewed as NON-CONTENDERS
Those are Burgandy colored glasses my friend!

The difference is Jeff Fisher has proved that he is a top notch coach. Their trip to the big dance a couple years ago bears that out. They will continue to be respected, all because Fisher knows how to coach, and the organization has .......... well, some organization.

The Burgandy and Gold have an 8-8 2nd year HC.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I believe it may be because we play in the NFC Beast? I'm not saying the AFC South is a cakewalk, but the Colts are no longer invincible, the Jags have been up and down, and the Texans, while I loves me some Andre Johnson on fantasy football, aren't really a legit challenger for anything right now.
Personally, I'm not really on board with the whole NFC "Beast" thing. Dallas is very suspect, and we're just mediocre right now. Philly could make a case for themselves, and the Giants are right there with them, but have some flaws here and there.

I actually think the NFC North might be the best division. Chicago, Minnesota and Green Bay are better than the top three in our division.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I actually think the NFC North might be the best division. Chicago, Minnesota and Green Bay are better than the top three in our division.
And what have this teams done lately? Any of those against the NFC teams would lose right now.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
And what have this teams done lately? Any of those against the NFC teams would lose right now.
That's my projection for the NFC North this year, for what it's worth. Minnesota has been knocking on the door for a couple of years now, and Favre just might take them to the next level. In Chicago, Cutler makes them much better. Green Bay should be improved.

For all the talk of the NFC "Beast", we were ultimately tied with the AFC East and South in total wins, and the NFC South had the most wins with 40.

I just don't think the Cowboys and Giants will be as good this year.

I know we all love to think we have the best, toughest division. It wasn't true last year, and I don't see how it's going to be true this year either.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Personally, I'm not really on board with the whole NFC "Beast" thing. Dallas is very suspect, and we're just mediocre right now. Philly could make a case for themselves, and the Giants are right there with them, but have some flaws here and there.

I find this hilarious, the NFC East is by far the strongest division in football...no doubt!! You gotta be kidding!! And dont forget to add Detroit to your equation.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
dgack
The Starter

Quote:

It's not just anecdotal.

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Final 2008 Quality Standings

I know some don't care for stats for this kind of comparison, but you can find a lot of evidence to back up the claim that the Beast really is the toughest division in football.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va
I find this hilarious, the NFC East is by far the strongest division in football...no doubt!! You gotta be kidding!! And dont forget to add Detroit to your equation.
Quote:
It's not just anecdotal.

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Final 2008 Quality Standings

I know some don't care for stats for this kind of comparison, but you can find a lot of evidence to back up the claim that the Beast really is the toughest division in football.
Right. It's not just anecdotal. That's why I added up the total number of wins by the top-performing divisions. The NFC East was tied with the AFC East and AFC South in win totals. And the NFC South beat everybody.

Look, I'm not saying this division is complete crap. I'm just not buying all the hype, and I believe this year we'll see a decline.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Right. It's not just anecdotal. That's why I added up the total number of wins by the top-performing divisions. The NFC East was tied with the AFC East and AFC South in win totals. And the NFC South beat everybody.

Look, I'm not saying this division is complete crap. I'm just not buying all the hype, and I believe this year we'll see a decline.
Its not about the total number of wins. It is about the winning percentage by team in the division. Everybody in the NFC East has finished .500 or better over the past few years. A couple of times it has even sent 3 out of 4 teams to the playoffs, that is half of the teams involved. No other division in football even comes close to the amount of Lombardi's (11) that are held in this division. 7 out of the last 9 seasons the NFC East has been represented in the NFC Championship game. 3 out of the last nine Superbowls has had the NFC East represented. There is no comparison, the NFC South had a bit better year than the NFC East, but it is not a trend. They will not do that year in and year out.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Wins are one way of looking at the data, but I prefer the notion of "quality wins" which is what the link to CHFF provides.

If you crunch the numbers and compare raw win totals against net points and SOS it's pretty easy to see why the other divisions you listed fall beneath the NFC East.

I do think a lot of it comes down to what non-conference division you get in the scheduling. It would be very beneficial to be able to play the Raiders and Chiefs last year, or the Lions and Packers, for example, instead of having to play the Ravens and Steelers.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Don't know about that. The AFC is always the favorite to win the Super Bowl and the Titans man-handled the Steelers last year. The Skins are lucky to be in the NFC, regardless of how tough the NFC East is.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Everyone knows that the Cowboys are going to sweep the NFC so there's no need discussing it.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Personally I don't care that we don't get hyped up or anything like that. The last tine that happened (when Saunders came) we went 6-10.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote