Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #61
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Right. It's not just anecdotal. That's why I added up the total number of wins by the top-performing divisions. The NFC East was tied with the AFC East and AFC South in win totals. And the NFC South beat everybody.

Look, I'm not saying this division is complete crap. I'm just not buying all the hype, and I believe this year we'll see a decline.
Its not about the total number of wins. It is about the winning percentage by team in the division. Everybody in the NFC East has finished .500 or better over the past few years. A couple of times it has even sent 3 out of 4 teams to the playoffs, that is half of the teams involved. No other division in football even comes close to the amount of Lombardi's (11) that are held in this division. 7 out of the last 9 seasons the NFC East has been represented in the NFC Championship game. 3 out of the last nine Superbowls has had the NFC East represented. There is no comparison, the NFC South had a bit better year than the NFC East, but it is not a trend. They will not do that year in and year out.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #62
redsk1
The Starter

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

It's not just b/c ownership gave JF time. It's the fact that they gave someone who they believed was a great leader and who is also immensly talented time. He's "super smart."
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #63
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Can someone explain to me how Kerry Collins was a Pro Bowl QB last year with under 3,000 yards passing, 12 TD's and 7 ints?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #64
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

^^ Because his name wasn't "Jason Campbell" (3,200+ yards, 13 TD's, 6 INT's).
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #65
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Can someone explain to me how Kerry Collins was a Pro Bowl QB last year with under 3,000 yards passing, 12 TD's and 7 ints?
Because the pro bowl is a popularity contest and not stat driven.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #66
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
I'm just thinking ... as the game is about to kick off tonight..

Why exactly are the Tennessee Titans a legit contender and we are a joke when someone picks us for the playoffs?

What do they have a QB? at WR? Is there defensive players better than ours?

Is it a coach thing? An organization thing?

When I look at their roster, then at ours, I just am puzzled...
Perhaps it is because they had the best record in football last season at 13-3 that included a 10 game winning streak to start the season.

And they punished the Steelers 31-14 last year to win the top seed in the AFC.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #67
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Sounds about right. Probably the main reason Michael Vick got to all those pro bowls late in his career when he had no business being there (earlier though he definitely earned it). Plus there was Marshall Faulk when he rushed for around 900 yards during his Madden Curse year. Maybe fans and even players should be held out of the voting process. At least secretly.

I'll go so far to admit that stats aren't everything but at Kerry Collins greatest achievement seems to be he didn't F-Up where as if they had left the offense up to Vince Young they probably would have had to many turnovers to deal with. Michael Roos and Chris Johnson had more to do with that offenses success then Kerry Collins ever did.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #68
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
13-3, 8-8.
you have to earn respect.
we will this year!
this is 100% correct. We have to show that can consistently win over a season. last year we lost to the RAMS and the BENGALS. good teams don't do that. We weren't good last year. This year, we have the chance to be VERY good. I'm a huge believer, and for some on this board that know me as a natural bear, that may come as a surprise. I love our defensive prospects- very sexy. Offensively, I am concerned. we improve at WR by virtue of maturation of last year's draft and the signing of Dock- that said, the o-line is a large question mark as is Campbell's progression as a NFL QB. I'm a believer in him too (to a degree).
this could be the start of something beautiful.

Orakpo and Carter will each get 10 sacks.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #69
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
frankly, I want my guys not getting voted to the pro bowl. lets keep'em hungry. Look at fletcher. Keep'em motivated. pro bowl is just another opportunity to get hurt anyway and increases the cost of the player (though i'm not sure it has any salary cap implications).
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #70
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Good point! How long has Jeff Fisher been coaching his team? Longer than our last three coaches combined, and a testement to structure and stability.

If things do not start well for us this season, we're going to again see what seperates us from teams that consistently contend year after year. We will again be talking about a new or different coach, a different QB and who knows what else, all signs of instability.

A laughing stock we not be yet, but as long as we continue changing the guard year after year we can continue to expect more of the same.

HA! He still couldn't beat Spurrier. What does that tell you? huh huh? Mua hahahaha. Fun n' Gun forever.

- FRPLG
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #71
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Good point! How long has Jeff Fisher been coaching his team? Longer than our last three coaches combined, and a testement to structure and stability.

If things do not start well for us this season, we're going to again see what seperates us from teams that consistently contend year after year. We will again be talking about a new or different coach, a different QB and who knows what else, all signs of instability.

A laughing stock we not be yet, but as long as we continue changing the guard year after year we can continue to expect more of the same.

HA! He still couldn't beat Spurrier. What does that tell you? huh huh? Mua hahahaha. Fun n' Gun forever.

- FRPLG
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #72
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Perhaps it is because they had the best record in football last season at 13-3 that included a 10 game winning streak to start the season.

And they punished the Steelers 31-14 last year to win the top seed in the AFC.

It's not just about last season, but the body of work over a sustained period of time.....Something we don't know anything about since Gibbs - 1
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #73
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Right. It's not just anecdotal. That's why I added up the total number of wins by the top-performing divisions. The NFC East was tied with the AFC East and AFC South in win totals. And the NFC South beat everybody.
Wins are one way of looking at the data, but I prefer the notion of "quality wins" which is what the link to CHFF provides.

If you crunch the numbers and compare raw win totals against net points and SOS it's pretty easy to see why the other divisions you listed fall beneath the NFC East.

I do think a lot of it comes down to what non-conference division you get in the scheduling. It would be very beneficial to be able to play the Raiders and Chiefs last year, or the Lions and Packers, for example, instead of having to play the Ravens and Steelers.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #74
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

The answer is they win games. That's why.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #75
bertoskins2
Special Teams

it starts with the owner and the FO and finally their coach is one of the best in the business
bertoskins2 is offline   Reply With Quote