Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offer to Eric Beverly

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Offer to Eric Beverly

The offer the Skins made to Eric Beverly is an important indicator. Beverly is a solid if unspectacular interior offensive lineman who has played center and guard.

One interpretation is that he would provide the needed depth on the offensive line because of his flexibility.

The other interpretation is that the coaching staff has looked at the tapes from last year and they think that either Dockery or the incumbent center is not starting material in the NFL.

I suspect the second interpretation is more correct and signing someone like Beverly who can play multiple positions and can get the job done without any flair or hoopla surrounding him will be very important to the team in 2004. Stay tuned...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

I think it's center they're looking to upgrade. Moore is definitely replaceable at his price as Friedman outplayed him last year. Still, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with Friedman as the starter, Beverly would be an upgrade at center and his versatility is a plus. Question marks around Fiore are probably another reason they're looking for some more depth up front.

I'm a little higher on Dockery than you seem to be Sports, but his inexperience could definitely be a reason they're looking for another veteran guard/center.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
Scott
Special Teams

I agree Matty, I am a bit higher on Dockery than Sports, I think that all this shows is Gibbs understanding of the game. We need to stock up on position players and all this illustrates is Gibbs superior knowledge compared to our previous staff
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Ghost
Special Teams

Dockery is a young guy like Ramsey, and Gibbs generally goes with vets but I bet he's hoping the young guys rise to the challenge. Every coach wants that.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree. I think Dockery really steped up his game after the loss to Buffalo. He played very poorly in that game, and the first Eagles game. Follwoing that, he did a very good job run blocking ( as did our whole line, but we never ran ) and did a much better job pass blocking. I think they could be looking at this guy for the center, or just as an insurance man incase Dockerys inexperiance catches up with him, or we have an injury.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Beverly has signed with Atlanta
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Looks like Raymer is next in line for center. IF he's fully fit, I'd welcome him back.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
ChounsMan
Special Teams

I like Dockery & think he will fit in fine, just needs time to mature & develop. He's much more athletic then Fiore, just needs to learn how to play his position in the NFL
Old 03-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #9
cpayne5
Playmaker

One knock on Dockery has been his speed - he has very little of it. That's how we picked him up in the 3rd round last year. He started out as a projected 1st rounder. He showed me a lot last year. He seemed to be really coming on strong towards the end of the season.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
backrow
The Starter

Dockery Agility Test Results:

Derrick Dockery 6-6, 347, Guard.

5.35 in the 40 yd dash. 425 bench, 535 squat. 340 power clean, 28 vertical. 34 3/4 inch arm, 10 3/8 inch hands, right handed, 14/22 Wonderlic.

All you had to do was ask. You had me at Hello!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #11
EEich
The Starter

Where does one find those agility test results?
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

It's been no secret that the skins are looking to upgrade at center if they can. Gibbs is always looking for flexible, multi-position players, so a center/guard would be perfect. As to deciding that Dockery or Friedman can't start in the NFL, I'm not sure I see it. Most likely they are looking to add depth and create competion on the line. A good move overall.

Sports, I know you are a curmudgeon, but I think you are making this sound like a problem, rather than a reasonable depth/upgrade move.

Raymer would be an upgrade if he can stay healthy. I'm anxious to see how Dockery responds to two mini-camps and a training camp with Bugel and Gibbs. I bet he holds his own, but as you say, stay tuned...