A Swiss army knifeww of posts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

A Swiss army knife of posts

I couldn't be bothered to split this into separate posts, hence the title

https://www.nfl.com/news/baker-mayfi...n-s-on-the-run

Firstly just a musing, and one game does not a season make. But the D is getting a lot of respect; after the first game, I wonder what the chances are of eclipsing the single season team sack record (72)? If we got 8 every game (I know not likely), then we'd have it by week ten! But averaging 4.5 sacks per game over the next 15 isn't that far fetched.

Secondly, reference the articles take on Mayfield, while I know he had a fantastic rookie season, but are we too in danger of writing off Haskins before he's fully developed? He came in with less college experience than most. Just comparing Haskins and Mayfield on stats, for example, he had less than 1/2 the games in college and threw more than half as many TDs & less than 1/3 of the INT's. Aside from the rookie TD record, Mayfield has no more success with record than Haskins does, but Cleveland haven't really shown signs of moving on yet. Are we expecting too much too soon?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: A Swiss army knifeww of posts

1. Sack record? Sounds crazy talk but 8 sacks in week 1 also sounds like chapter 1 of setting the sack record storyline. If it does happen, it’s because you went 8 sacks week 1.

2. Giving up on Haskins too soon? No matter what, Haskins has this season and the first half of next season imo. At the end of the day, I don’t think he will ever be a long term franchise QB. His ceiling to me is about 15th, you could win with him if everything around him is in place but he’s not a top 10 franchise QB.

With that said, I’m not giving up on him and would give him this year and the first half of next year.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I think most of us would say that Haskins' inconsistent accuracy is his biggest challenge to overcome to become an NFL franchise QB. The debate on whether or not any NFL QB can significantly improve his accuracy with coaching and practice time rages on to this day. History seems to show that some QB's have improved their accuracy in the NFL - but just a little bit. If Haskins can only improve his accuracy a little bit, perhaps to the point where he becomes a "streaky" QB, I have my doubts that he can become a true #1 QB in this system because he is not a dual threat QB who can add another dimension to the offense like Cam Newton did.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Just a thought on Haskins:

At OSU Haskins beat out Burrow as the starting QB.

Were the OSU coaches bad at evaluating the talent here?

Did Burrow improve due to LSU coaches?

Both had success in college, I think Haskins will improve and will be fine, he obviously has talent.

I think our D will break the NFL sack record.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

I don't see anybody writing Haskins off yet. I thought he played very well in the 2nd half against the Eagles.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I don't believe there's anything stopping a QB improving anything about their technique with time and good coaching. But the question is how mucch can an NFL QB improve given that theoretically they have had maybe 10+ years of coaching by the time they are drafted. Of course quality of coaching may be a factor, so there's nothing saying a QB is even close to the finished article coming out of college. Maybe with his lack of experience in college he's got more room to grow.

Can't help finding it funny to think of any NFL QB being inaccurate given the competition to play in the NFL!
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I don't believe there's anything stopping a QB improving anything about their technique with time and good coaching. But the question is how mucch can an NFL QB improve given that theoretically they have had maybe 10+ years of coaching by the time they are drafted. Of course quality of coaching may be a factor, so there's nothing saying a QB is even close to the finished article coming out of college. Maybe with his lack of experience in college he's got more room to grow.

Can't help finding it funny to think of any NFL QB being inaccurate given the competition to play in the NFL!
He's inaccurate by the NFL starting QB standard of accuracy. Again, even those QB's who improved their accuracy in the NFL didn't improve it very much. Odds are that he won't be able to go from the outhouse to the penthouse in that area.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote