Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
If money is no issue, then yes, go get him -- but get Haloti Ngata from the Ravens too.

D-line needs more help than the secondary.
Buy 'em all, we've heard nothing about a salary cap being reinstated. Until that happens, you have to assume there won't be one.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

There will be plenty of time for front offices around the league to consider Asomugha.
First off, no team is even permitted to pursue a free agent until the end of the current NFL year, March 5th I think. So no team can even approach Asomugha until that date.

Also, the current CBA extenstion EXPIRES in March. If there is not a new CBA in place, then there is a lockout.

I also suspect that free agents around the league will abstain from signing any new contracts until a new CBA is in place, since that agreement will most certainly address veteran defintiions and salary caps as well as a rookie wage scale.

And those of you dreaming of a league WITHOUT a salary cap? Dream on, that is first and foremost on the owners agendas is that salary cap. Without a salary cap, the owners will proceed with a lockout.

So plenty of time for teams to consider Asomugha.

Also, can you imagine what the "market price" will be for a DB this year now that both Asomugha and Champ Bailey are Free Agents?

Wow.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
There will be plenty of time for front offices around the league to consider Asomugha.
First off, no team is even permitted to pursue a free agent until the end of the current NFL year, March 5th I think. So no team can even approach Asomugha until that date.

Also, the current CBA extenstion EXPIRES in March. If there is not a new CBA in place, then there is a lockout.

I also suspect that free agents around the league will abstain from signing any new contracts until a new CBA is in place, since that agreement will most certainly address veteran defintiions and salary caps as well as a rookie wage scale.

And those of you dreaming of a league WITHOUT a salary cap? Dream on, that is first and foremost on the owners agendas is that salary cap. Without a salary cap, the owners will proceed with a lockout.

So plenty of time for teams to consider Asomugha.

Also, can you imagine what the "market price" will be for a DB this year now that both Asomugha and Champ Bailey are Free Agents?

Wow.
You guys need him in the worst way. Your secondary is god awful.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
bigant
Special Teams

lets go get him ,shut down corners hard to find plus we can blitz more with him...
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Will someone please shed some light on the current rules in place under the CBA which expires the end of March as it pertains to the 2011 FA class. It is my understanding that the existing rules under the expiring CBA governs the draft, but does the same hold true for FA's? In other words, will teams be able to actively pursue FA's without a new agreement?

Asomugha is a very good player that I'd love to see in B&G though he will command a high price. He'd be a fine addition if we only needed him to make us a contender. We have so many areas of need.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Will someone please shed some light on the current rules in place under the CBA which expires the end of March as it pertains to the 2011 FA class. It is my understanding that the existing rules under the expiring CBA governs the draft, but does the same hold true for FA's? In other words, will teams be able to actively pursue FA's without a new agreement?

Asomugha is a very good player that I'd love to see in B&G though he will command a high price. He'd be a fine addition if we only needed him to make us a contender. We have so many areas of need.
All I know for sure is what I have heard in that the LAST thing that will officially take place under the CBA is the NFL draft. After that, everything is dependent on a new CBA. I don't even think they can sign draft picks until a new agreement is in place.

And it makes no sense to sign a free agent when no one knows what it will look like.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
All I know for sure is what I have heard in that the LAST thing that will officially take place under the CBA is the NFL draft. After that, everything is dependent on a new CBA. I don't even think they can sign draft picks until a new agreement is in place.

And it makes no sense to sign a free agent when no one knows what it will look like.
Per: ESPN's Adam Scheftner, no new CBA no FA signings. Everything relevant to free agency is dependent on a new CBA getting done.

Adam Schefter: Playoffs are a last bit of normal NFL - ESPN

Last edited by Longtimefan; 01-10-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Per: EPPN's Adam Scheftner, no new CBA no FA signings. Everything relevant to free agency is dependent on a new CBA getting done.

Adam Schefter: Playoffs are a last bit of normal NFL - ESPN
Thats all I keep hearing. If there is not a CBA done prior to the draft then free agency basically will be held off till after the draft and after the new CBA gets done. The draft should continue as planned though.

I remember a few yrs ago though people talking about what would happen with out a CBA and I thought at one point even the draft would be eliminated and players could sign with whatever team they wanted to. In other words to the highest bidder. Whatever happened to that train of thought?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

You can only sign players that werent on a squad I believe
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Wonder what Cromartie will command on the open market.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Nnamdi would be a ridiculous pickup. It would only improve our defense hands down. Id love if we pulled the trigger on em..

If the price is right i say take em.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4L View Post
Nnamdi would be a ridiculous pickup. It would only improve our defense hands down. Id love if we pulled the trigger on em..

If the price is right i say take em.
The price will not be right though...it will be one of the biggest contracts in league history. There's no bargain here...it's just a matter of which team is going to bite the bullet.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Am I the only one who thinks the priority should be along the D-line? I'd like to see Nnamdi as much as anyone, but Haloti Ngata and Cullen Jenkins are both free agents this year.

Just seems like the focus should be up front more than secondary.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the priority should be along the D-line? I'd like to see Nnamdi as much as anyone, but Haloti Ngata and Cullen Jenkins are both free agents this year.

Just seems like the focus should be up front more than secondary.
Haloti Ngata will almost certainly be franchised...if he were somehow free then he is a much better target then Nmamdi.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Haloti Ngata will almost certainly be franchised...if he were somehow free then he is a much better target then Nmamdi.
You bring up an excellent point.....the Franchise Tag.

The current CBA expires on March 5th. And almost unanimously, the players HATE the franchise tag. I will wager that the franchise tag and Restricted Free Agent definitions are 2 items the NFLPA will bring to the table as things the want to change (RFA) and things they want to go away (Franchise Tag).

These will be bargaining chips when talks start around the 18-game season, roster expansion, rookie wage scale etc etc etc.

I have a strong feeling that we have seen the last of the franchise tag, and franchising players like Ngata will no longer be an option.