Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
calia
Playmaker

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

NA was a great shutdown corner, but hasn't he been injured a fair bit the last two years, and haven't his numbers dropped off (a lot)? In fact, he's failure to achieve certain incentives was why he's a FA now, as I understand it. This, coupled with many other greater needs, would lead me to pass and focus on other areas. I'd rather find a stud FS, at least another LB, and guys on the line.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #47
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided should Redskins go after him or do you think the price will be too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
NA was a great shutdown corner, but hasn't he been injured a fair bit the last two years, and haven't his numbers dropped off (a lot)? In fact, he's failure to achieve certain incentives was why he's a FA now, as I understand it. This, coupled with many other greater needs, would lead me to pass and focus on other areas. I'd rather find a stud FS, at least another LB, and guys on the line.
Sounds like the Raiders version of D-Hall.

I say do it.

Notice how so many great players just stop playing well in black and silver...coincidence?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

You can only sign players that werent on a squad I believe
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #49
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post

I say do it.

Notice how so many great players just stop playing well in black and silver...coincidence?
Actually, Asomugha played well while D-Hall flamed out in Oakland.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #50
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy2348 View Post
I feel the price for him is going to be too high. Plus we need to continue to build with younger pieces not middle age FA's. He alone isn't to make the defense that much better. I would love to have him but the time isn't right for a player like him.
Agreed. Tired of seeing the Skins grasp at free agents in their late 20s or older. Plus, he's not going to want to come here, which means we'd have to pay more than teams that have more to offer... like a chance to play in the post-season. Pass. Build through the draft and spend where it counts - QB, O and D Line. Fill in the rest with guys who are young and cheap (Torrain and Armstrong, for example).
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #51
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post

I say do it.

And burgundy and gold, unfortunately. How many guys have come here only to underachieve? Archuletta? Haynesworth? Jason Taylor? Stubby? Brandon Lloyd? The Redskins - Where Pro-Bowlers Come to Die
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #52
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
And burgundy and gold, unfortunately. How many guys have come here only to underachieve? Archuletta? Haynesworth? Jason Taylor? Stubby? Brandon Lloyd? The Redskins - Where Pro-Bowlers Come to Die
And then rebloom post-DC, a la Lloyd.... :tongue
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #53
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

If Revis is not the best CB in the NFL, then Asomugha is.

The option clause in his contract that was voided was worth a minimum of $16.4M. Don't think he is going to sign for anything less than that.

The Redskins have been known to pay top dollar to players who really do not have a ton of other offers in hand during free agency. Phat Albert comes to mind here... However, Asomugha will have plenty of interest and offers so the Skins will need to come hard with their offer. More than likely, this is a guy who will go to the high bidder - - - unless he takes a shorter price to go with a Super Bowl contender next year.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Wonder what Cromartie will command on the open market.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #55
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Nnamdi would be a ridiculous pickup. It would only improve our defense hands down. Id love if we pulled the trigger on em..

If the price is right i say take em.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #56
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Am I the only one who thinks the priority should be along the D-line? I'd like to see Nnamdi as much as anyone, but Haloti Ngata and Cullen Jenkins are both free agents this year.

Just seems like the focus should be up front more than secondary.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #57
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4L View Post
Nnamdi would be a ridiculous pickup. It would only improve our defense hands down. Id love if we pulled the trigger on em..

If the price is right i say take em.
The price will not be right though...it will be one of the biggest contracts in league history. There's no bargain here...it's just a matter of which team is going to bite the bullet.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #58
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the priority should be along the D-line? I'd like to see Nnamdi as much as anyone, but Haloti Ngata and Cullen Jenkins are both free agents this year.

Just seems like the focus should be up front more than secondary.
Haloti Ngata will almost certainly be franchised...if he were somehow free then he is a much better target then Nmamdi.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #59
MTK
\m/

A couple of years ago you could pretty much count on the Skins chasing Asomugha once free agency opens. Now, I seriously doubt it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #60
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Haloti Ngata will almost certainly be franchised...if he were somehow free then he is a much better target then Nmamdi.
You bring up an excellent point.....the Franchise Tag.

The current CBA expires on March 5th. And almost unanimously, the players HATE the franchise tag. I will wager that the franchise tag and Restricted Free Agent definitions are 2 items the NFLPA will bring to the table as things the want to change (RFA) and things they want to go away (Franchise Tag).

These will be bargaining chips when talks start around the 18-game season, roster expansion, rookie wage scale etc etc etc.

I have a strong feeling that we have seen the last of the franchise tag, and franchising players like Ngata will no longer be an option.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote