Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #61
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Well, let's grade the Redskins according to the criteria used over the last 20 years:

1. Bang for the Buck - F (if you can tell me why they deserve a better grade than an F I am all ears)
  2. Players - C (yeah, we don't draft very well and we're not good at signing free agents)
  3. Fan Relations - F (It isn't a love hate relationship, it's a hate relationship considering all the shady shit they have pulled on fans)
  4. Affordability - F (Snyder doesn't make money based on volume)
  5. Stadium Experience - D (go to some of the other Stadiums in the NFL and you shall know how truly shitty FedEx is)
  6. Ownership - F (utter failure across the board and from every angle).
  7. Title Track - D (8-8 spells average chances)
  8. Coaching - D (can't judge Shanahan yet based on a horrible first season but lets face it, if it wasn't for Gibbs the grade would be an F)

If you are keeping score that's 5 total points out of 32 possible points which translate to a solid F as an overall grade. Are we the second worse in all of sports? I don't think so...are we at the bottom of the list...you betcha!
Pretty much. How people got so worked up over this is funny to me. "But.. but... we won 3 Super Bowls...." We sure did. Decades ago. Next to the Detroit Lions (who are arguably better and definitely younger/more talented than the Skins currently), we've been pretty much the league punch-line in several categories over the past 15 or so years.

Rich heritage, great tradition, great fan base... sure. You know who else has that? The Oakland Raiders. In recent years everyone has ragged on them as a joke.... And hell, they even played in a Super Bowl in the 2000's.

A large percentage of the smack that's thrown our way is deserved, and until we prove otherwise in the win-loss column, we're always going to be at or near the bottom of these lists. We're a highly profitable team, so for that Danny deserves credit (despite selling expired airline peanuts), but as far on the field product, we've been hot garbage for a while.

All this doesn't mean I don't love my Skins. I do. I just don't preemptively disappoint myself with delusional expectations of how we'll perform or how we'll be received. We are currently a joke and will remain so until we achieve something above mediocrity on the field. Deservedly so.

Advertisements
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #62
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

That's a horrible list.
The Skins make moves at least. I see franchises that let the squad rot that's bullcrap.
Playoffs in 05, Gibbs left, another transition, we signed Shanahan.. solid drafts for what he had to work with too.. what a joke.
The teams been better than what they've played on a consistent basis too.. they've shown glimpses of greatness and went on streaks numerous time but we crumble. Well be more competive then they think we still have some talent.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #63
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Pretty much. How people got so worked up over this is funny to me. "But.. but... we won 3 Super Bowls...." We sure did. Decades ago. Next to the Detroit Lions (who are arguably better and definitely younger/more talented than the Skins currently), we've been pretty much the league punch-line in several categories over the past 15 or so years.

Rich heritage, great tradition, great fan base... sure. You know who else has that? The Oakland Raiders. In recent years everyone has ragged on them as a joke.... And hell, they even played in a Super Bowl in the 2000's.

A large percentage of the smack that's thrown our way is deserved, and until we prove otherwise in the win-loss column, we're always going to be at or near the bottom of these lists. We're a highly profitable team, so for that Danny deserves credit (despite selling expired airline peanuts), but as far on the field product, we've been hot garbage for a while.

All this doesn't mean I don't love my Skins. I do. I just don't preemptively disappoint myself with delusional expectations of how we'll perform or how we'll be received. We are currently a joke and will remain so until we achieve something above mediocrity on the field. Deservedly so.

Not sure but isn't Dan suing someone for pointing out the same things.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Not sure but isn't Dan suing someone for pointing out the same things.
Yeah, not quite. But the fact many believe that is another sign of the failures if this franchise
Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4L View Post
That's a horrible list.
The Skins make moves at least. I see franchises that let the squad rot that's bullcrap.
Playoffs in 05, Gibbs left, another transition, we signed Shanahan.. solid drafts for what he had to work with too.. what a joke.
The teams been better than what they've played on a consistent basis too.. they've shown glimpses of greatness and went on streaks numerous time but we crumble. Well be more competive then they think we still have some talent.
Over the last 10 years those "glimpses of greatness" were fleeting indeed.

When a team aspires to get to 8-8 more seasons than not, "greatness" is rarely involved...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #66
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I hear that NC_Skins contributed a lot to this piece, hence the low rankings. LOL. (I kid, I kid).

I still don't get how the Orioles and Nats are ranked higher than the Skins.
Hey, let's leave the Orioles out of this
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #67
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Well, let's grade the Redskins according to the criteria used over the last 20 years:

1. Bang for the Buck - F (if you can tell me why they deserve a better grade than an F I am all ears)
  2. Players - C (yeah, we don't draft very well and we're not good at signing free agents)
  3. Fan Relations - F (It isn't a love hate relationship, it's a hate relationship considering all the shady shit they have pulled on fans)
  4. Affordability - F (Snyder doesn't make money based on volume)
  5. Stadium Experience - D (go to some of the other Stadiums in the NFL and you shall know how truly shitty FedEx is)
  6. Ownership - F (utter failure across the board and from every angle).
  7. Title Track - D (8-8 spells average chances)
  8. Coaching - D (can't judge Shanahan yet based on a horrible first season but lets face it, if it wasn't for Gibbs the grade would be an F)

If you are keeping score that's 5 total points out of 32 possible points which translate to a solid F as an overall grade. Are we the second worse in all of sports? I don't think so...are we at the bottom of the list...you betcha!
What did Gibbs do in his 2nd tenure that was so great?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #68
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
What did Gibbs do in his 2nd tenure that was so great?
playoffs twice and 1 win. Better than any other coach
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #69
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post

so unfortunately true, i just hope it's not much longer.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #70
tc2deuce
Special Teams

One of the worst franchises but yet the 2nd most valuable at 1.55 billion dollars......ummmmmm. I would not call myself a Danny fan but that is pretty impressive.
tc2deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #71
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I think the Skins are embarrassing since we are such a historic franchise but have made some pathetic moves recently.

It's like Cubs or, dare I say, the Raiders. I don't think we are at a complete laughing stock level, but will be if we continue down the same path as the last decade and a half.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #72
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
One of the worst franchises but yet the 2nd most valuable at 1.55 billion dollars......ummmmmm. I would not call myself a Danny fan but that is pretty impressive.
And that's one of the problems. So valuable monetarily, yet so unsuccessful on the field relative to our worth
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #73
over the mountain
Playmaker

All we have to do is go 10-6 or something like that and the city is gonna splode again in the B&G. The team just needs to give the fans something to cheer about.

Even after all our belly achin (mostly justified), if this teams starts 3-1 or something like that, we are all gone be talking positive and about the future .....hopefully leaving the last 13 years in the rear view.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #74
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
All we have to do is go 10-6 or something like that and the city is gonna splode again in the B&G. The team just needs to give the fans something to cheer about.

Even after all our belly achin (mostly justified), if this teams starts 3-1 or something like that, we are all gone be talking positive and about the future .....hopefully leaving the last 13 years in the rear view.
After the disappointment which followed Zorn's 6-2 start in year 1, it will take me more than 3-1 to turn it around and believe.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #75
bigdaddy2348
Camp Scrub

Options are like you know what. Everybody has one. The fact of the matter is Redskins is one of the richest franchises in America and people hate on us because of that. Yes Dan has made some poor decisions, however I feel he has put the right people in place for the moment to make this franchise "respectable". Who needs respect when you have won as much as we have and I feel will go on to do in the future.
bigdaddy2348 is offline   Reply With Quote