Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

All things Science related. λν = c

Parking Lot

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: All things Science related. λν = c

That's really cool.

We humans sure do suck in a lot of ways but we're also really awesome too.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

How'd I miss this gem? Damn that's awesome!

Amazing the new stuff we find out as time goes on. Thanks for the posts Smoot! You have earned some cool points in my book.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

More amazing stuff computers CAN do.

NSA in Bluffdale, Utah

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks.

Bear in mind that just because you can't wrap your mind around a concept doesn't mean someone else hasn't already got something incredible up and running.

But these mother****ers would blow your mind:

Last edited by RedskinRat; 06-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

^^that isn't really science related.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
More amazing stuff computers CAN do.

NSA in Bluffdale, Utah

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks.

Bear in mind that just because you can't wrap your mind around a concept doesn't mean someone else hasn't already got something incredible up and running.
What I can't seem to wrap my mind around is that you don't get the concept that a lot of us on here have an extremely solid background and understanding of what computers can and will be doing.

It's amazing to see how far they have come in such a short time, but with that said, there are certain bounds that have not yet been reached, and are far murkier even if and when they are reached.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The fact that the a thing 93 MILLION miles away can still heat our little rock in space is incomprehensible to me. I accept it on an intellectual level but really, fully grasping the reality of it is just simply beyond my tiny little brain.
Here JR, try this trick:

Imagine the earth is the size of a grape (half an inch), the moon would orbit about 12 inches away, the sun would be 5 feet in diameter and a distance from the earth of about 500 feet (or a city block), Jupiter is the size of a grapefruit and about 5 blocks away from the sun. Saturn (without the rings) would be the size of an orange and 10 blocks from the sun then Uranus the size of a lemon at 20 blocks and Neptune 30 blocks. The nearest start to us would then be 2,500 give or take a few miles.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
What I can't seem to wrap my mind around is that you don't get the concept that a lot of us on here have an extremely solid background and understanding of what computers can and will be doing.
Possibly because it's not demonstrated in anything posted by the very people saying "I know a lot about computers".

I'd compare it to a bunch of bumpkins standing around the Palace of Versailles trying to rescue a duck, a rooster and a sheep from a basket back in 1783, but that's just my take.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Possibly because it's not demonstrated in anything posted by the very people saying "I know a lot about computers".

I'd compare it to a bunch of bumpkins standing around the Palace of Versailles trying to rescue a duck, a rooster and a sheep from a basket back in 1783, but that's just my take.
hmm, maybe you should reconsider that. and I am not referring to me specifically as I know my limits, which would be framed around my BSCS, microsoft exchange and sql certifications. But there are definitely others on this board who do know, and truthfully, you simply don't sound like any of them.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
hmm, maybe you should reconsider that. and I am not referring to me specifically as I know my limits, which would be framed around my BSCS, microsoft exchange and sql certifications. But there are definitely others on this board who do know, and truthfully, you simply don't sound like any of them.
If you're basing my computer knowledge on what I post here then I can see where your problem is. You are aware that this is a Redskins forum, not TechNet, right?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
If you're basing my computer knowledge on what I post here then I can see where your problem is. You are aware that this is a Redskins forum, not TechNet, right?
so is that your way of acknowledging that your computer related posts have been less than informative, even when asked by some fairly qualified individuals?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
so is that your way of acknowledging that your computer related posts have been less than informative, even when asked by some fairly qualified individuals?
Yeah, it's actually deliberate. I'm in the same field and I dislike the elitist attitude most tech people adopt. To be fair I dislike any elitist attitude unless its mine.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Holy crap this is amazing! Being able to live without breathing. (short term)

Injecting life-saving oxygen into a vein

Quote:
A team led by researchers at Boston Children’s Hospital has designed tiny, gas-filled microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate the blood.

The microparticles consist of a single layer of lipids (fatty molecules) that surround a tiny pocket of oxygen gas, and are delivered in a liquid solution. In a cover article in the June 27 issue of Science Translational Medicine, John Kheir, MD, of the Department of Cardiology at Boston Children’s Hospital, and colleagues report that an infusion of these microparticles into animals with low blood oxygen levels restored blood oxygen saturation to near-normal levels, within seconds.

Quote:
“This is a short-term oxygen substitute—a way to safely inject oxygen gas to support patients during a critical few minutes,” he says. “Eventually, this could be stored in syringes on every code cart in a hospital, ambulance or transport helicopter to help stabilize patients who are having difficulty breathing.”

The microparticles would likely only be administered for a short time, between 15 and 30 minutes, because they are carried in fluid that would overload the blood if used for longer periods, Kheir says.

WHO NEEDS SCUBA GEAR ANYMORE AMIRITE? (joke)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

thats cool... nice find.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Yeah, very cool. It shouldn't be too long before you see that helping people everywhere.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
well, that's what the entire stem cell fight is about i guess rats have been doing this for a while now, still working on getting it to humans though.
Positive results now. (link)

From foxnews.com: Cord blood cures girl’s brain injury

Thanks to a reinfusion of cord blood stem cells, a little girl has recovered from a critical brain injury, fox2now reported.

When Sparrow Morris, from Pineville, Mo., fell into the family’s swimming pool, she was left unconscious and without oxygen for 45 minutes, causing severe brain damage, according to the TV station. She was left in a vegetative state and couldn’t sit or speak.

Read more: Cord blood cures girl’s brain injury | Fox News
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote