stocks in meltdown mode

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #16
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: stocks in meltdown mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Any other tips on what might be good stocks to buy low? (Because i know nothing but have some money to play with and what better place to get financial advice than a sports team fan forum, right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wait and do CD's or a MM account till the market settles down .

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

was told by someone in the know, managing director in a well established trading firm several weeks ago said...no way less than 20k.

Welp...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Dell is at $27. It was between 50 and 70 all last year. First time i have bought stocks, i got 10 not much i know, but i cannot see Dell going under before it makes those losses up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #19
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Dell is at $27. It was between 50 and 70 all last year. First time i have bought stocks, i got 10 not much i know, but i cannot see Dell going under before it makes those losses up.

Seems like a smart buy, up to 33 right now.

Ive never bought an individual stock. I have a 401k, a couple CDs, a MM ... but I dont have like a td ameritrade account i can like play poker with.

Always wanted to.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Seems like a smart buy, up to 33 right now.

Ive never bought an individual stock. I have a 401k, a couple CDs, a MM ... but I dont have like a td ameritrade account i can like play poker with.

Always wanted to.
I didnt either. Was helping a friend work her computer and saw how easy it was and i opened this account with 300. I wish I had more because solid companies should bounce back once this passes.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
SunnySide
Playmaker

I think Im going to start an account today. Our phones at work are not ringing, courts closed .. this is the perfect time to actually get proactive.

edit - I opened an ameritrade account. I have lots of reading ahead of me to know what I just clicked and agreed to. Purpose was to buy some Boening stock bc it was at 94 this morning. Well by the time i get my account up and am ready to buy its now at 104 .. i didnt buy.

I think I put a buy in if it drops to 95 ... I hope I did it right.

Well see .. how much i lose.

Last edited by SunnySide; 03-20-2020 at 11:53 AM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #22
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I think Im going to start an account today. Our phones at work are not ringing, courts closed .. this is the perfect time to actually get proactive.

edit - I opened an ameritrade account. I have lots of reading ahead of me to know what I just clicked and agreed to. Purpose was to buy some Boening stock bc it was at 94 this morning. Well by the time i get my account up and am ready to buy its now at 104 .. i didnt buy.

I think I put a buy in if it drops to 95 ... I hope I did it right.

Well see .. how much i lose.
Just looked at boeing out of curiosity. Looks like it went up a bit from 100. Hope you got a few shares.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:01 AM   #23
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I know jack shit about investing. I am 36 and I have the middle tier 401k in terms of risk. Maybe even towards the lower end of risk. I put in 7% and really don't even look at it. Don't want to get too high or too low. Just gonna ride it out for the rest of my working life and hope for the best. But I couldn't imagine trying to decide what to buy right now. I definitely wouldn't sell though. Seems like a good time to get ripped off if you do.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

stocks in meltdown mode

Don’t waste your time with trying to invest in individual stocks if you don’t know what you’re doing. Open up an IRA.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Don’t waste your time with trying to invest in individual stocks if you don’t know what you’re doing. Open up an IRA.

Check out an ROTH IRA.

"A Roth IRA is an individual retirement account that offers tax-free growth and tax-free withdrawals in retirement. Roth IRA rules dictate that as long as you've owned your account for 5 years* and you're age 59½ or older, you can withdraw your money when you want to and you won't owe any federal taxes."

Almost all firms offer them
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #26
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Just looked at boeing out of curiosity. Looks like it went up a bit from 100. Hope you got a few shares.

I shat the bed. Set the buy at 95, didnt get to it that day so I cancelled the order the next day. If I had let it ride, it did dip below 95 for literally a minute a few days ago and I would have had my 15 shares. But I didnt.

182.84 currently ..... fml.

Also targeted twitter at 18, never came close.

Matty - i dont know, I think targeting certain individual long term stocks is the way to go right now. nibble. but yeah, once the general recovery begins, just ride the market.

lockheed martin pays dividends, may target that but its at 342 now.

----------------------

When trump says "we have to protect boeing" = that is a clear sign to buy. it was down to below 100, thats insane.

the only reason I took money from a MM and opened an ameritrade was bc of Cred and trump saying that about boeing. then when i looked up boeing that day, it was so low at 94 i had to finally act.

anyway .. much ado about nothing as i still have the orig 3k i put into my ameritrade acct when i opened. have made 0 buys and now think I may have missed my time w boeing.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Right now, I think you can look at the previous 12 months. For example, Dell was trading the full year between 50 and 70. After Feb 22nd (CV) it's tanked to 27. It's now at 42. The key is to see which stocks might have nosedived from a consistent baseline, to a multiyear low. I would never day trade in a normal market because I am not that smart, but right now you can look at some stocks and see that they "should" at least get close to their pre-CV position, or if not all the way, at least enough to pick up solid short term gains, and positions in value stocks.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Check out an ROTH IRA.

"A Roth IRA is an individual retirement account that offers tax-free growth and tax-free withdrawals in retirement. Roth IRA rules dictate that as long as you've owned your account for 5 years* and you're age 59½ or older, you can withdraw your money when you want to and you won't owe any federal taxes."

Almost all firms offer them
That is how I set the Ameritrade account i used for Dell as. My understanding is it is the best retirement vehicle there is.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I shat the bed. Set the buy at 95, didnt get to it that day so I cancelled the order the next day. If I had let it ride, it did dip below 95 for literally a minute a few days ago and I would have had my 15 shares. But I didnt.

182.84 currently ..... fml.

Also targeted twitter at 18, never came close.

Matty - i dont know, I think targeting certain individual long term stocks is the way to go right now. nibble. but yeah, once the general recovery begins, just ride the market.

lockheed martin pays dividends, may target that but its at 342 now.

----------------------

When trump says "we have to protect boeing" = that is a clear sign to buy. it was down to below 100, thats insane.

the only reason I took money from a MM and opened an ameritrade was bc of Cred and trump saying that about boeing. then when i looked up boeing that day, it was so low at 94 i had to finally act.

anyway .. much ado about nothing as i still have the orig 3k i put into my ameritrade acct when i opened. have made 0 buys and now think I may have missed my time w boeing.
Sorry to hear that. Especially if my words encouraged a bad money move
Old 03-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #30
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Especially if my words encouraged a bad money move
bad money move? no man, i went in w 3, still have 3, money never left my pocket.

i just always wanted to move some money from this super low int MM account to an ameritrade account but just always put it off. then i read you did it, saw boeing below 95 and got motivated to get off my ass.

so thank you

this thing is going to balloon in a week or so, who knows what happens but now I am ready. I can put in a buy off my couch if there is another boeing type situation.