Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #31
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams
 
Pervis_Griffith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 452
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

I can't believe that this may actually be happening.

I feel as excited as Lloyd Christmas when he tells Harry "We're really going to do this, aren't we Harry?" as they climb in the shaggin wagon on their way to Aspen to return a briefcase full of cash to a smokin' hot babe.


I do have a question though, related to billionaire owners.

Does anyone know how the salary cap really works??

I mean ... it seems some franchises can resign their players to mega deals, and then also bring in stupidly high-priced free agents to build their team. And this is related to how their deals are structured ... ie Billionairre Owner forks out cash in signing bonuses or something to get around some hard cap numbers.

How do these franchises do this?? Does liquidity in the ownership make this possible?

Or are ANY owners able to do this using the cash they make with their teams each year, but some choose to hang onto that cash, and not build their rosters that way?



I want the owner who can resign Daron Payne, and land Lamar Jackson, without jeopardizing losing Sweat and Young in the near future. So whoever that is --- Bezos, this Harris guy, or whoever ... that's who I want to replace our current douchebag-in-chief.

Easy-peezy. lol


.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-17-2023, 05:31 PM   #32
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,612
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Nice article by JP about the latest on the potential sale of the team:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...tes-take-shape

Here the cliff notes:
- Sale of the team could be over soon per sources; no later than March (league meetings
- Josh Harris (76ers owner) is the front runner
- Todd Boehly out of the running
- Bezos may be out, but people are not counting him out
- RFK a potential site for new stadium; Landover could become new practice facility

I really think Bezos is going to come at the end with an offer Danny boy won't be able to refuse.
__________________
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:14 PM   #33
SFREDSKIN
Gamebreaker
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 14,274
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
I can't believe that this may actually be happening.

I feel as excited as Lloyd Christmas when he tells Harry "We're really going to do this, aren't we Harry?" as they climb in the shaggin wagon on their way to Aspen to return a briefcase full of cash to a smokin' hot babe.


I do have a question though, related to billionaire owners.

Does anyone know how the salary cap really works??

I mean ... it seems some franchises can resign their players to mega deals, and then also bring in stupidly high-priced free agents to build their team. And this is related to how their deals are structured ... ie Billionairre Owner forks out cash in signing bonuses or something to get around some hard cap numbers.

How do these franchises do this?? Does liquidity in the ownership make this possible?

Or are ANY owners able to do this using the cash they make with their teams each year, but some choose to hang onto that cash, and not build their rosters that way?



I want the owner who can resign Daron Payne, and land Lamar Jackson, without jeopardizing losing Sweat and Young in the near future. So whoever that is --- Bezos, this Harris guy, or whoever ... that's who I want to replace our current douchebag-in-chief.

Easy-peezy. lol


.
If you sign Lamar Jackson thatís all you are
Signing, there will no $$$ for the others. That would be a huge mistake.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:06 PM   #34
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams
 
Pervis_Griffith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 452
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
If you sign Lamar Jackson thatís all you are
Signing, there will no $$$ for the others. That would be a huge mistake.

It was an example. Not a suggestion.

Some franchises seem to find a way to do it all - keep their players, signing them to big deals, while ALSO attracting mega free agents, and signing them to big deals.

And I think it has to do with how deals are structured and favors franchises who are led by owners who aren't squeamish about spending money. They work around the salary cap somehow. Which is what I was asking about.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:24 AM   #35
That Guy
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: VA
Age: 40
Posts: 17,311
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
It was an example. Not a suggestion.

Some franchises seem to find a way to do it all - keep their players, signing them to big deals, while ALSO attracting mega free agents, and signing them to big deals.

And I think it has to do with how deals are structured and favors franchises who are led by owners who aren't squeamish about spending money. They work around the salary cap somehow. Which is what I was asking about.
It's a hard cap, but bonus money is spread out over the remaining life of the contract (and comes due if a guy is cut early). Most contracts tend to be backloaded and some have essentially joke years just so the player/agent can say they made more than they actually did (tends to only be high profile guys, and not super common).

Either way, yes, you can pay more upfront in signing bonuses and backload the yearly pay, and if the cap keeps going up that can work out. If it doesn't or you're not great at managing it, you're mortgaging your future.

The Russel Wilson deal is horrible for example and they can't cut him because they can't afford the cap hit (they could designate him a post-june 1 cut and then ONLY have a dead cap hit of 70m or so I believe). Dead cap is money you're paying a player that's no longer on your team.

TLDR: you can massage the cap, but no, you can't actually get around it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:00 AM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 12,343
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

I think the cap is not the constraint this offseason. It's going to be Dan Snyder being a cheap ass. The points about the cap are valid but somebody still has to be OK with spending the cash.

What I mean is, when you sign somebody to a deal, NFL rules say you have to take all the guaranteed money and sock it away in an escrow account. So if Lamar Jackson gets $150M guaranteed over 5 years, even if some of that $150M isn't payable until three years from now, the team signing him has to actually take $150M in cash and put it in an escrow account. After all the only way to actually guarantee he gets his money is to take it and set it aside.

So ask yourself whether anybody about to sell a franchise would want to set aside big cash for a long term deal, for a player he won't own next year. Now ask yourself if Dan Snyder would.

In that light, look for Payne to be franchised, not signed long term. Look for Sweat to play out the option year, not signed long term. Look for Ron to be told to avoid the big money QB market. And look for all of our free agency moves to be of the shorter term, bargain bin variety.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:07 AM   #37
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 12,343
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

If the sale goes through sooner, then the new owner will look at it differently. If he's keeping Ron then he might bless some big money transactions. If he's not keeping Ron, or if he's in a wait and see mode with Ron, then he might still want him to avoid big long term commitments until he gets his coach / front office that he wants for the long term.

As glorious as it is to get Dan Snyder out of the building, any way I look at it I think the sale puts some limitations on what the team will do this year.

It's a price we're all willing to pay. I'm willing to ride with what we've got for one more year if it means no more Dan for the rest of my life.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:24 AM   #38
sdskinsfan2001
Oh shit! It's Wayne Brady, son!
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Age: 39
Posts: 16,622
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If the sale goes through sooner, then the new owner will look at it differently. If he's keeping Ron then he might bless some big money transactions. If he's not keeping Ron, or if he's in a wait and see mode with Ron, then he might still want him to avoid big long term commitments until he gets his coach / front office that he wants for the long term.

As glorious as it is to get Dan Snyder out of the building, any way I look at it I think the sale puts some limitations on what the team will do this year.

It's a price we're all willing to pay. I'm willing to ride with what we've got for one more year if it means no more Dan for the rest of my life.
I hope 100% of all fans are agreeable to this. What's 1 more year lol. I still think we can have a decent year if we can sign a couple OL depth pieces and draft well. Of course, I think higher of Howell than most here.
__________________
2023 is the year of the Tuddy.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #39
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 36
Posts: 34,467
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If the sale goes through sooner, then the new owner will look at it differently. If he's keeping Ron then he might bless some big money transactions. If he's not keeping Ron, or if he's in a wait and see mode with Ron, then he might still want him to avoid big long term commitments until he gets his coach / front office that he wants for the long term.

As glorious as it is to get Dan Snyder out of the building, any way I look at it I think the sale puts some limitations on what the team will do this year.

It's a price we're all willing to pay. I'm willing to ride with what we've got for one more year if it means no more Dan for the rest of my life.
Me too, because at the ned of the day thing cant be worse right? If the new owner starts out with like 4 straight losing seasons I'm out.
__________________
ďMediocre people donít like high achievers, and high achievers donít like mediocre people.Ē
― Nick Saban
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #40
Redskins247
Impact Rookie
 
Redskins247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 802
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Something else probably in the mix assuming the sale is going to happen, as petty as Snyder is, the last thing he would want is the team to actually be really good the year he departs, so there is no way he's bringing in a Lamar/Rodgers/Carr type guy where there would be a chance the team could be really successful right after his departure.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #41
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Forida
Posts: 5,928
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Something else probably in the mix assuming the sale is going to happen, as petty as Snyder is, the last thing he would want is the team to actually be really good the year he departs, so there is no way he's bringing in a Lamar/Rodgers/Carr type guy where there would be a chance the team could be really successful right after his departure.
It looks to me like DS just wants the money, to get out, and to live the good life. As for Carr, I doubt that his play could elevate this team.
__________________
Give Sam a chance to win the job.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #42
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Forida
Posts: 5,928
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

If the sale is completed in March, that should be beneficial to the fans (us) as well as the new owner. Getting new leadership in place, managing Free Agency and the Draft, etc. That's just what I've been hoping would happen.
__________________
Give Sam a chance to win the job.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #43
mredskins
MVP
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,650
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If the sale goes through sooner, then the new owner will look at it differently. If he's keeping Ron then he might bless some big money transactions. If he's not keeping Ron, or if he's in a wait and see mode with Ron, then he might still want him to avoid big long term commitments until he gets his coach / front office that he wants for the long term.

As glorious as it is to get Dan Snyder out of the building, any way I look at it I think the sale puts some limitations on what the team will do this year.

It's a price we're all willing to pay. I'm willing to ride with what we've got for one more year if it means no more Dan for the rest of my life.
basically one step back then 10,000 steps forward
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:08 PM   #44
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams
 
Pervis_Griffith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 452
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If the sale goes through sooner, then the new owner will look at it differently. If he's keeping Ron then he might bless some big money transactions. If he's not keeping Ron, or if he's in a wait and see mode with Ron, then he might still want him to avoid big long term commitments until he gets his coach / front office that he wants for the long term.

As glorious as it is to get Dan Snyder out of the building, any way I look at it I think the sale puts some limitations on what the team will do this year.

It's a price we're all willing to pay. I'm willing to ride with what we've got for one more year if it means no more Dan for the rest of my life.

Amen.

I'm more worried about maintaining our assets, than buying expensive new ones. But it'd be nice to have an owner that gives you options, either way.

Financially managing our D-Line will be challenging. That's why I am so hopeful that Sam Howell turns out to be the answer at QB ... that would delay our having to fork out a crap ton of cash for QB and spread it around other places.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:45 PM   #45
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 4,357
Re: Rumors circulating about Jeff Bezos buying the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think the cap is not the constraint this offseason. It's going to be Dan Snyder being a cheap ass. The points about the cap are valid but somebody still has to be OK with spending the cash.

What I mean is, when you sign somebody to a deal, NFL rules say you have to take all the guaranteed money and sock it away in an escrow account. So if Lamar Jackson gets $150M guaranteed over 5 years, even if some of that $150M isn't payable until three years from now, the team signing him has to actually take $150M in cash and put it in an escrow account. After all the only way to actually guarantee he gets his money is to take it and set it aside.

So ask yourself whether anybody about to sell a franchise would want to set aside big cash for a long term deal, for a player he won't own next year. Now ask yourself if Dan Snyder would.

In that light, look for Payne to be franchised, not signed long term. Look for Sweat to play out the option year, not signed long term. Look for Ron to be told to avoid the big money QB market. And look for all of our free agency moves to be of the shorter term, bargain bin variety.
I was looking forward to reading your response to this question. I ain't disappointed ! I had no clue about the bolded part. I've been saying from the start this offseason was going to be quiet on the FA/trade front (unless the sale was to go through uber quickly), and I wish it that way... but this would impact the team more than I thought: if we end up letting Daron Payne go because of it it's kinda of a bummer (of course, as a price to pay to get rid of Snyder, it's a small one).
__________________
Derz Ambassaderz in the Land of the Rising Sun. Oui Monsieur.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.07125 seconds with 10 queries