Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #166
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

I saw Breach saturday night on HBO, I thought it was just about one of the best movies I've seen recently, I like the way it went even though some of the stuff was made up just to add to the value of the film.

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #167
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
??!!and I heard that Sly was trying to draw attention to the evils going on in Burma!! I feel lied too...
well it definitely pointed to it being a pretty brutal area to live in but not with the same tact and touch that say a movie like Tears of the Sun did.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #168
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This movies seems just...seems just...ur, I mean....um...wow

Movies | "Teeth" has no bite or redeeming quality | Seattle Times Newspaper
Nice, SS! I actually drove out to hollywood to see this saturday night, as there were only two theaters in LA playing it last weekend. It could have been a little funnier (too many campy one liners, imo)... then again, I like twisted flicks hahaha.

As for the success of Meet the Spartans- I hope the crappiness of those who watched this prevents you from ever supporting spoofs again. If people stop going, Hollywood will stop making this trash... then again, I don't think they'll ever lose their appeal.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #169
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

The wife and I watched "Balls of Fury" last night. It was pretty good, not as funny as I would have liked, but still decent.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #170
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Holy flippin hell that trailer for Iron Man during the SB was freakin awesome.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #171
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Nice, SS! I actually drove out to hollywood to see this saturday night, as there were only two theaters in LA playing it last weekend. It could have been a little funnier (too many campy one liners, imo)... then again, I like twisted flicks hahaha.

As for the success of Meet the Spartans- I hope the crappiness of those who watched this prevents you from ever supporting spoofs again. If people stop going, Hollywood will stop making this trash... then again, I don't think they'll ever lose their appeal.
It really amazes me that people would pay good money for that crap. Sorry to anyone who saw it.

Personally I'm very picky about movies. There's nothing that pisses me off more than feeling like I just wasted 2 hours of my life on a worthless movie.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #172
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Having a bad day at work? I think Rambo averages nearly one death per minute (83 deaths to 93 minutes). Very therapeutic. Of course, if you're silly and things like plot and acting are important to you then you may want to pass.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #173
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I saw "No Country For Old Men" last week.

I went there with high hopes with all of the awards it's been nominated for. But I guess my expectations were too high. There was pretty good tension in the first 75% of the film, then it just went nowhere. For those that have seen it, please explain Tommy Lee Jones' monologue at the very end. I was completely lost with what he was trying to say.

I'm a fan of the Coen brothers too. I really don't get all the acclaim it's been getting. Just didn't do anything for me.

Two stars out of four.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #174
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post

The last good spoof was Spaceballs.

But really, spoofs as a form of comedy is really cheating if you ask me. Anytime you have to base your comedy from another film, it shows a complete lack of originality. I mean, I know they're not supposed to be original, but it just demonstrates laziness on the part of writers and filmmakers.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #175
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Finally saw "No Country for old men", and it blew my pants off.

Even with the high expectations... I thought it was phenomenal. Reminded me of something Aranofsky might do, but w/ alot more action. Thought it was interesting that there was virtually no music throughout the film. 5 stars in my book.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #176
v3n0m
Camp Scrub

Any news or comments on the 10.000 BC Movie guys??
v3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #177
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
that was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen right up there with Battlefield Earth. it didn't even have a single action scene that could come close to making up for the lack of a plot and/or acting.

as far as "No Country for Old Men", I watched it yesterday and have absolutely no idea how that movie warranted as much hype as it did. The guy who played the assassin was cool, but the movie lacked anything remotely like a Best Picture worthy story and it's last 20 minutes was lackluster to say the least.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #178
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
as far as "No Country for Old Men", I watched it yesterday and have absolutely no idea how that movie warranted as much hype as it did. The guy who played the assassin was cool, but the movie lacked anything remotely like a Best Picture worthy story and it's last 20 minutes was lackluster to say the least.
You're not alone... in fact most people were put off by the ending. But it's technically a near flawless film... it's going to be used over and over in film classes to dissect elements like cinematography, pacing and writing.

* Spoilers *

The movie works because it accomplishes the vision of the original book. NCFOM is a thematic movie, moreso than character-driven. The Coens have a knack for straying from traditional film structure- you didn't really have a "good guy protagonist" to root for, per se... there was Brolin's character, who played an average Joe- the audience wants him to get away with the money, but he still pulls off an unethical action (stealing money that's not his). Bardem's psycho character is definitely not the guy to root for, but he displays his own abstract sense of morality. And Tommy Lee Jones was the dude that verbalizes McCarthy's (the original book's author) overarching message- the world is becoming evil and good can no longer stop it... only fate can hope to stumble it...

Leaving out the death scenese for major characters is intentional to the overall theme. You're left wondering "wtf" during certain aftermath shots (and the ending) b/c the storytelling is so un-Hollywood. The movie's not wrapped up in a bowtie at the end and that surely pissed a bunch of people off.

/film geekness
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #179
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I really want to see "There Will Be Blood"

Who here has seen it? Any reviews?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #180
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Without a doubt, worst movie since Dungeons & Dragons ...