Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If you could make 1 change...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #46
Warthog
The Starter

Re: If you could make 1 change...

Change the owner.

Change of owner gets a new corporate and team culture. Bring in a new HC and a real NFL-experienced GM. Not a fake GM like Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen, who were just yes-men and frontmen who let Dan Snyder act as the GM from behind the scenes.

The winning team gets back the fans and politicians

Changing the owner gets you a new stadium, perhaps with a municipal / owner building deal.

I like the Redskins name. But if thinking of a change go to CHEYENNE. It is two syllables, so it fits in the old song. Name of a REAL WARRIOR tribe versus just a generic phrase. Get to keep everything else about the Redskins.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #47
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
So change the name, change the uniforms... then the identity of the team is gone. So are you just a fan of the football team playing in DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who said change the uniforms? Maybe someone else? I said specifically that the logo, images, etc. shouldn't change. It is literally only the word "Redskins" that bothers me.

And no, I am a fan of the team I have been following as long as I can remember watching football. My youngest daughter is named Sunny and she will tell you and anyone in her 2nd-grade class who will listen, that she was named after Sonny Jurgensen.

Someone can think the team should be renamed and still be a fan.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #48
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfanatic View Post
Who said change the uniforms? Maybe someone else? I said specifically that the logo, images, etc. shouldn't change. It is literally only the word "Redskins" that bothers me.

And no, I am a fan of the team I have been following as long as I can remember watching football. My youngest daughter is named Sunny and she will tell you and anyone in her 2nd-grade class who will listen, that she was named after Sonny Jurgensen.

Someone can think the team should be renamed and still be a fan.

But what about the fact that most native Americans- according to polls - are not bothered by the name? What about the fact that there are literally Native American high schools whose nicknames are the Redskins?
I totally understand where you are coming from. Racist crap bugs the hell out of me. I am just not sold on it being racist.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #49
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
But what about the fact that most native Americans- according to polls - are not bothered by the name? What about the fact that there are literally Native American high schools whose nicknames are the Redskins?
I totally understand where you are coming from. Racist crap bugs the hell out of me. I am just not sold on it being racist.
I really do get that, but some do, and changing the the name eliminates the issue entirely.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #50
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
By the way, and I am not saying you said this, I can support changing the name and still be a fan just like other fans can support keeping the name and not be racists. If fans of the team cant disagree on things and all still be fans, we're screwed.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #51
SkinzzFan
Special Teams

Quote:
By the way, and I am not saying you said this, I can support changing the name and still be a fan just like other fans can support keeping the name and not be racists. If fans of the team cant disagree on things and all still be fans, we're screwed.
I respect your opinion on the topic and I agree fans of the same team certainly can agree to disagree and still support the same team. I guess, for me, I've just never heard the word Redskins used in a disparaging manner (it probably has been, I've just never heard it used that way). When you add the fact that so many reservations across the country use Redskins as their mascot and are damn proud of it, I just don't see it being offensive (I certainly could be wrong).

When the team was named, I seriously doubt the owner wanted to name the team something that was based on bigotry. I think it was the exact opposite. I believe they viewed the name Redskins (and their logos throughout the history of the team) to be an honorable name and their logos a tribute to people they admired. I doubt the Falcons were named the Falcons because their original owner hated birds.

Either way, I want a victory this weekend over the Cowboys. I know we agree on that. HTTR!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #52
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Id still root for em if they changed their name for sure
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #53
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Quote:
I respect your opinion. I just think some people are making a mountain over a mole hill. If and that is a BIG IF, they changed the name I would change it to the Braves and under no circumstances would I change it because I'm being "forced" to..... I've been a fan since the late 1960's....
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

NFL Primetime: 1996 Week 8 (ESPN October 20th, 1996) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7YUll1HzIs

Enjoy this folks. They are bringing prime time back!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk