Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Re: The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Ok so let's say we dump Reed, Richardson, and Lauvao. That's a very small portion of the injuries we've had the past 2 years. It doesn't even begin to answer the question of why we've been hit so hard with injuries.
I think Defensewins is saying that these types of injuries only add to our total every year. It doesn't necessarily explain it entirely.

Most injuries are bad luck and can't be planned for. But SOME of those injuries we had expected because of the players history.

If we stop signing players with an established history of injuries, our yearly total could be lowered, theoretically.

Personally, I think if the talent is there it's worth taking a chance on, especially draft choices on rookie contracts. But I agree that when you bring in players like P. Richardson and J. Reed you're putting your roster in a vulnerable position, leaving yourself in a fingers-crossed-I-hope-this-works-out type of situation. More so than normally.

Advertisements
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

Just listened to Michael Phillips on the Redskins Talk Podcast. The consensus from them was that is equals part bad luck and bad decisions.

I do feel that the fluke injuries this year (Alex, Schreff) were bigger and more impactful than the injuries due to bad decisions. If Alex and Schreff do not get injured (as bad as they did), I think things would have turned out differently IMO.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #18
skinsnut
Playmaker

Here's a scenario for you.
You have 2 top running backs on the squad....yes ...they run....so what sort of injuries are a problem? wrist? neck? head?....NO!...knees (duh) Cant run without em'

So...Both top RB's have MAJOR knee damage....so what does a team do that has a chronic injury management issue?....I know...lets draft a THIRD RB with MAJOR knee damage!

This is really a stupid question.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
skinsfan69
Living Legend

But again, not that Alex Smith has some kind of bad injury history, he doesn't. But you signed an older QB when you already had a younger one who was durable. You kept Colt around which is fine, but if he has to play for a long period of time when has he showed he can stay healthy? Knowing that it's probably a good idea to keep 3 QB's. Always keep QB's cause it's the most important position on your team. Probably should have kept Sudfeld or at least drafted someone instead of signing scrubs like Sanchez, Johnson and the guy from Stanford.

Hopefully these guys have learned from their mistakes. Look in the mirror and use common sense, instead of hiring "consultants." lol.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Here's a scenario for you.
You have 2 top running backs on the squad....yes ...they run....so what sort of injuries are a problem? wrist? neck? head?....NO!...knees (duh) Cant run without em'

So...Both top RB's have MAJOR knee damage....so what does a team do that has a chronic injury management issue?....I know...lets draft a THIRD RB with MAJOR knee damage!

This is really a stupid question.
Looking at the Love pick, you bring up a good point there. You're also leaving out CT who never stays healthy. I was fine with the Love pick cause of the upside as well as he's a 4th rounder. Had they taken him earlier that would have been stupid.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Just an idea but what about replacing the field (playing surface) at FedEx Field,would that help?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #22
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Looking at the Love pick, you bring up a good point there. You're also leaving out CT who never stays healthy. I was fine with the Love pick cause of the upside as well as he's a 4th rounder. Had they taken him earlier that would have been stupid.
The took Love, a 3rd RB with a bad knee over a solid guard....you know what guards do?
They block the guys that take out the knees of running backs and legs of QB's....sound familiar?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #23
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

All I know is I would hate to be in Jays shoes this year. The Injury plague looming over his head all the while knowing his job is on the line this year. Last preseason I remember reading about everybody complaining that he babies them to much in camp. After the injuries of the 17 season I woulda done the same. And the injured still mounted. There is no one size fits all answer here (unless there’s is something crazy going on we can’t see). At the end of the day it’s a dangerous game. Your going to get hurt in some way shape form or fashion. The question is how badly. The last 2 years we took a beating. Last year we have nearly 52 million in salary cap run through the IR, but we didn’t have the most money sitting there. We had a lot of bad breaks (no pun intended) that hit us in some key spots. And when you are playing musical chairs with your offensive live as bad as we had to the last couple years. The guys lining up behind them are bound to take more hits.

Time will tell this year if the organization made the right adjustments for this year. And I really hope they did. But the one thing that I would push this off-season would be changing the way they deal with the line. Is the work load to heavy? Are they not eating right? That is the weakest link injury wise IMO. Injuries didn’t kill our record last year it brought us back down to earth, and in an ugly fashion.

If we somehow wind up being in the top 3 again this year of injuries. At that point you have to can the whole medical team and start fresh right? There’s comes a time when ya gotta quit chasing the river and fold. And start with a clean slate next hand.
Tennskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I will not stop believing that putting a better field on FedEx would go a long way to helping our players with the lower body type injuries.

You hope the consultants look through all the possible threads that could create and sustain an injury plagued process.

I think it has to include things like how often do the Skins take a player in the draft who dropped and in those cases how often does the injury that caused the drop contribute to future injuries. Or the condition of the field, and whether there is a tendency to be over aggressive in returning injured players, or like in TW and MM cases to let the players push for their early return.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I will not stop believing that putting a better field on FedEx would go a long way to helping our players with the lower body type injuries.

You hope the consultants look through all the possible threads that could create and sustain an injury plagued process.

I think it has to include things like how often do the Skins take a player in the draft who dropped and in those cases how often does the injury that caused the drop contribute to future injuries. Or the condition of the field, and whether there is a tendency to be over aggressive in returning injured players, or like in TW and MM cases to let the players push for their early return.
Snyder want a new stadium he won’t throw money at the field.
Tennskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennskinsfan View Post
Snyder want a new stadium he won’t throw money at the field.
So you sacrifice your players health???
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #27
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
The took Love, a 3rd RB with a bad knee over a solid guard....you know what guards do?
They block the guys that take out the knees of running backs and legs of QB's....sound familiar?
But we did get 2 potential guards that can step in and possibly start right away. The Love pick I believe is for the future. Thompson's deal is up after this year I believe.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Love was taken in the 4th round.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #29
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Just an idea but what about replacing the field (playing surface) at FedEx Field,would that help?
Of all the things that could be the problem I don't think that is one of them. Opponents play on the same field, but limp off at 1/2 or less the rate of Redskins.

Last edited by Buffalo Bob; 05-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

The field would be an easy fix to identify so if that was a significant issue I'm sure it would be addressed.