los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Advertisements
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1442
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Saw The Avengers. The plot is pretty much your basic buddy movie formula: Problem occurs, buddies needed to solve problem, buddies don't get along, catalyst/epiphany, buddies get along, buddies solve problem. Just insert "Heroes" for "buddies", "Crazy supernatural crisis" for "problem" and "kick the ass out of" for "solve".

The dialogue is generally really good, the movie stays true to its genre and keeps continuity w/ other hero movies. Definitely a movie to see on the big screen rather than waiting for it to come out on video.

"Hulk ... Smash"
Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #1443
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Prometheus - Enjoyed it. The movie itself was shot beautifully and the graphics were incredible. The movie alone was worth it via special affects and landscape. That said, expect to leave with many questions unresolved. (as is intended) If you ever watched Lost and Lindelof's writing, you'll understand what I'm talking about. I keep hearing people harp on the "plot" in regards to this, but the plot is fine. I think it's the unanswered questions that remain that confuse this with a bad plot. I think they've done a remarkable job with this stand alone movie, with somewhat tying it in to the Alien franchise. It's nothing like Alien or Aliens in terms of scary or action packed. It's somewhere in between but with hidden agendas and a great cast, and some cool HOLY SHIT moments. Overall, a very good Sci-fi movie, but most likely won't be winning any Oscars.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #1444
los panda
Pro Bowl

one of several i will see this summer. going to see this on sunday, plan to see spiderman opening weekend, and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 07.20.12 @ 12:01 AM (i'll buy tickets this monday the 11th)

pm me if you have any interest in watching the prologue
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1445
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

People have really shot this movie down saying its lame, and Hollywood has run out of ideas, not realizing this is a BOOK. I finished the book last week and I thought the ending blew. I wasn't happy with it. But since I read the book, I have to go see the movie just to compare. Its a Tim Burton movie and its rated R (Yay violence!) So I'm hoping the effects will be superb even if everything else sucks.

To be honest I'm not expecting a lot out of the movie and I could really only see the people who read the book enjoying the movie.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #1446
los panda
Pro Bowl

movie looks hilarious but i don't like the fact that he doesn't have the beard throughout
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #1447
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
movie looks hilarious but i don't like the fact that he doesn't have the beard throughout
Well he didn't grow the beard til later in life anyway.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #1448
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Well he didn't grow the beard til later in life anyway.
false, he was born with it.

if he can hunt vampires, he can be born w a beard, darnit
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #1449
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Outside the Candidate and the Dictator, this is the movie im most excited about this year. first trailer

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1450
That Guy
Living Legend

django looks good. I saw prometheus last night. I thought it was good, so not sure about the some of the reviews i've seen.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #1451
los panda
Pro Bowl

is django the bounty hunter's daddy named dboba?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #1452
los panda
Pro Bowl

saw prometheus yesterday. it was alright, nothing special, nothing terrible. my favorite part was immediately after david spoke to the "engineer"
Old 06-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #1453
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
is django the bounty hunter's daddy named dboba?
No, his dad is Ddog.

Last edited by ArtMonkDrillz; 06-10-2012 at 04:16 PM.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #1454
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
saw prometheus yesterday. it was alright, nothing special, nothing terrible. my favorite part was immediately after david spoke to the "engineer"
Not even understanding how you can walk away from that movie and say that unless you have no idea about the Alien universe (space jockey) or you were expecting something completely different. Hell, even Roger Ebert liked it and this guy kills most...lol

'Prometheus,' Ridley Scott, and the blockbuster 'Alien' franchise - Grantland

Quote:
And here's the thing — despite being one of the summer's biggest and most commercially ambitious films, Prometheus is probably the single strangest one since the original. It manages, in the way that Scott's first Alien did, to wed serious and quixotic questions about creation and the bitter origins of life to some of the most unlikely, visceral, and entertaining horror scenes ever put to film. One sequence in particular is probably the most vivid and outright revolting thing any director in this franchise has attempted since that first alien came gurgling out of John Hurt's chest.

It's the type of spectacle that restores your faith in the type of event cinema that dominates the summer, and though Prometheus was clearly expensive to make (though not compared to some of the other landmark blockbuster releases on the 2012 calendar), it's not the film's size or scope that make it great; it's the quality of detail and ambition that Scott and nerd-god screenwriter Damon Lindelof (working off a draft first written by Jon Spaihts) bring to the work. It remains baffling that somehow this, of all franchises, has become the one where directors and screenwriters make personal statements and explore big (albeit regretfully Erich von Däniken–informed) ideas about the nature of man and the universe. But that's what Scott is using it for.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 06-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #1455
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post

People have really shot this movie down saying its lame, and Hollywood has run out of ideas, not realizing this is a BOOK. I finished the book last week and I thought the ending blew. I wasn't happy with it. But since I read the book, I have to go see the movie just to compare. Its a Tim Burton movie and its rated R (Yay violence!) So I'm hoping the effects will be superb even if everything else sucks.

To be honest I'm not expecting a lot out of the movie and I could really only see the people who read the book enjoying the movie.
tat r impossible It ca no haz timmy durton. If it r was TIm BuRTon movie y it no haz Jonny Deep n Helena Carter-Boxom? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote