The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

My thoughts:

Free Agents: I don't see Kyle Orton being that much of an upgrade over Rex Grossman. He's a journeyman, but I wouldn't mind him being the backup. Kyle can give you a few good games, but honestly, if we're talking transition/backup QBs, I think Rex is good enough for that. I don't know much about Josh Johnson or Brian Hoyer, so I really can't comment on either one of those guys. I'm sure there must be some type of interest for Matt Flynn, but the 'skins might be keeping that hush hush until they see who the other legit bidders are for him and what gets offered. No surprise that there is zero interest in Peyton Manning. Since yesterday's events, I'm thinking Manning may in fact stay with the Colts, assuming he's cleared to play football by the time training camp rolls around.

Trades: Jimmy Clausen - If not much is given up for him, then I think it's a great idea to bring Jimmy in knowing he's going to serve as a backup to whoever is starting, and a guy the Redskins can hopefully develop over a period of time. I don't think he's trash and I kind of questioned (before the season) why the Redskins didn't try to pursue him prior to the start of this season. I suppose with the lockout, the team probably felt the price would be too high for a QB that would not see the field at all this year.

Mark Sanchez - I don't think he leaves NY. If he does, it's because Rex Ryan is fired, and I don't think that will happen, so I think Sanchez stays a Jet. I don't really have any interest in Colt McCoy. For some strange reason, I just get this Patrick Ramsey vibe when I hear about McCoy.

I am 100% on board with getting Sam Bradford, but I'm also curious as to why the Redskins did not make a legitimate move to draft him when they had a chance. I guess they felt Donovan McNabb was the guy at that point and didn't feel it necessary to make a move for a QB.

The Draft: I don't believe the Redskins have a chance at drafting Andrew Luck or RG III. I would be ecstatic if either one landed in Washington, but I don't think it's going to happen. I think both QBs get taken - which could be how we wind up getting Sam Bradford. If there was some magical way that the 'skins could land Bradford and finagle their way into getting Blackmon, I would probably think I have died and gone to Heaven!

Landry Jones and Tannehill: I think between the two I'd take Tannehill, although like Smootsmack has said, I too tend to go back and forth. I think either may not be ready to start from day one and if they do, I just hope Snyder is patient, because I can't see the 'skins winning more than 8 games in their rookie year. However, I might be completely wrong. But, I don't think the Redskins would have to draft either one at #6. As matter of fact, I think they could possibly get Tannehill in the early second round and use their first pick for either Blackmon or Kalil. But, if those guys are gone by #6, the 'skins should trade down and keep building depth. I have confidence they would find a potential franchise guy later in the first or early second.

I don't know anything about Foles, Cousins, or Lindley. I had always questioned why Weeden wasn't talked about more until I realized he was already 28 years old. If we go with a QB out of the draft, I want someone young who if developed into a franchise guy, one that we can hold on to for at least 10 years.

So, I say yes to Sam Bradford, Clausen as a backup ONLY if not much is given up for him, probably yes for Tannehill. I say no to Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning (I actually think he doesn't play anymore), intrigued by Matt Flynn, and maybe to Landry Jones.

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We don't want to trade our 1st and 2nd for Bradford. Possibly one or the other. More likely this year's 1st plus future high picks. It's tough to know right now because no one knows who is going to be running the Rams

I wouldn't take Jones or Tannehill at #6. But I don't think either falls below 12-15. With QBs though, there's always the possibility someone reaches.

I could end up being totally wrong here. But I liken the Flynn talk to Peppers from a couple of years ago. When just about everyone was linking Julius Peppers to the Redskins, and what did I repeatedly say here? The Redskins had no interest and he wasn't coming here...and he didn't
Isn't Jeff Fischer going to Stl? ? I saw on TV that it's pretty much a done deal. And that's cause they have a QB. But regardless of who takes that job, I just don't see them moving Bradford.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Isn't Jeff Fischer going to Stl? ? I saw on TV that it's pretty much a done deal. And that's cause they have a QB. But regardless of who takes that job, I just don't see them moving Bradford.
True. Fisher has been linked heavily to the Rams. Also linked to the Dolphins.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Isn't Indy his top choice? I thought he was very interested in that job too.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
redsk1
The Starter

Anyone familiar w/ Russell Wilson?

I think this guy can play in the NFL and play well. He's projected as a 4th/5th. The knock is his size. He's mobile, shifty, very accurate, and smart.

We could do worse w/ a 4th/5th rounder. Hopefully, we'll take a QB before then though.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
celts32
Playmaker

Would love to end up with Bradford and Clausen.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think it would be great if we were to get Bradford. If we were to get him with just the first rounder, we can use the second round pick to get an interior lineman.
R.I.P. #21
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Isn't Indy his top choice? I thought he was very interested in that job too.
Also. Hadn't heard the feeling was quite as mutual though. Been hearing Reggie McKenzie and even Charley Casserly mentioned a lot for the Colts FO job.

And in a bit of a surprise, I've heard Pioli might be moving on from the Chiefs
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
With Jake Locker in mind, if Jones or Tannehill is our guy, I have no problem grabbing him at #6. It would suck to lose our guy worse than it would suck to reach.
And it all goes back to "who's the Skins guy"?

Who are the Skins looking at and are interested in? Because what's happening is some fans want the Skins to throw everything or whatever it takes to get Luck (which to me is crazy), other fans want the Skins to throw whatever it takes at RGIII (which also seems crazy to me) and in reality... the Skins might not even be looking at either nor Jones or Tannehill. So technically only the fans are losing their "they" want the Skins to pick.

It could be their eyeing some other kid that no one is talking about but fits the Shanahan scheme perfectly and can be taken in the second round but everyone is so up in arms about the Skins needing to take a QB at #6 so they don't miss out. They do if the guy they are interested in is one of the top 3 QB's on the list but not if he's not.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
and somewhere I thought on this site some one said Tampa would name Fischer HC by next week. or so the rumor was.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I think Beck and Crompton both need to be cut, let go, fire..D.

I don't want Grossman to start but if he has to until the next QB is up to speed then fine.

I'd look for whatever FA QB's were available to challenge Grossman. Perfect world we get a FA QB, and get to keep out 1st round pick to take a #1 WR like Blackmon or whoever, then take a QB in the second round to try to develope. Then the rest of the draft could be used on FS or CB and OL.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
There have been a lot of names floating around re: the next Redskins QB so I thought I'd just take a moment here to sort of refresh the discussion and summarize what I've heard.

Reminder: This is only about what I've heard. And remember things change. Also, this isn't about some of the later round prospects they have been scouting like Harnish or Dominique Davis

Current QBs

Rex Grossman: They've been working on a 1-2 year deal, but talks have stalled. But that may be because both sides decided to just hold off further talk until the offseason. I know there are other teams that have expressed interest in Rex (to the surprise of many I'm sure) as a veteran backup.

John Beck: Gone, but don't be too surprised if he stays through most of training camp. Particularly if Grossman goes elsewhere

Jonathan Crompton: Likely gone

Free Agents (only those who have been linked to the Redskins):

Kyle Orton: I'm actually not totally sure he's a FA, but the Redskins aren't likely to pursue him. Have heard the Jets are a possibility for KO

Matt Flynn: I know his name is the hot name being tossed around and everyone is connecting him to the Redskins. But I haven't had one legit source tell me there is true interest. Maybe there is, but from all I've heard it sure doesn't sound like it

Josh Johnson: Interest, but not as a starter.

Brian Hoyer: He's Restricted, but he's a potential sleeper. Papa Shanahan likes him (I can't speak for Junior). But he might be someone to keep an eye on.

Peyton Manning: None that I've heard of

Trades:

Jimmy Clausen: Very possible if the Panthers decide to move him. Redskins won't offer higher than a conditional 5th and he wouldn't be brought in to be the unquestioned starter. Skins have been monitoring Clausen situation since last spring when Panthers took Cam.

Mark Sanchez: Rumor was smoking hot three weeks ago but has died down a bit. Not as likely to happen anymore

Sam Bradford: This is probably choice #1. To figure out some way to get Bradford without giving up both their 1st and 2nd this year. No one knows that the new Rams regime is going to do, but Redskins are definitely keeping tabs on what happens there because if they can get Bradford they'll likely do just about "whatever it takes" to get him. Which is interesting, because they didn't want to 2 years ago. Though now "whatever it takes" is probably much less

Colt McCoy: Have not heard of any legit Redskins interest in him.

Draft:

Andrew Luck: As of right now, it doesn't look like they are seriously considering trading up for him

RGIII. Not to be confused with this RGIII. They like him a lot, though I don't think more than Luck as has been reported here, but they probably won't move up to get him.

Landry Jones: Chris Russell (ESPN 980 Redskins Beat Reporter) says the Skins have zero interest in LJ. But I've heard otherwise many times. If they're going to "reach" for anyone at 6, don't be too surprised if it's Jones. This is all assuming he declares. Kyle is the one who likes him. Well, let me specify Kyle seemingly prefers Jones to Tannehill (though both father and son like both), sees him as having much of the same qualities Schaub has.

Ryan Tannehill: See Jones. Though honestly I think they're more likely to take Jones at 6 than Tannehill. Feeling is Jones can start now, Tannehill may need a little more time

Nick Foles: 2nd round possibility, won't move up for him.

Kirk Cousins/Ryan Lindley: 3rd round possibilities

Brandon Weeden: No...not that I've heard

So I think Plan A is make a run for Sam Bradford and possibly add someone like a Jimmy Clausen/Brian Hoyer. Though Hoyer may cost too much to not start him. Bradford and Clausen! Could you imagine, how silly would that be. Plan B is draft a Jones/Tannehill and someone like Grossman or Josh Johnson is the veteran/transition QB.

My gut prediction as of today...Landry Jones (I know I've been saying Tannehill but I'm honestly going back and forth on the two) and Rex returns as the backup.
My gut prediction is Matt Flynn. I think the Shannahans have to win next season or it is curtains. I hate to say it, but I think it will end up costing the Redskins a 2nd, possibly a first round draft choice. The Packers will franchise him. They probably never considered it till now, but after Sunday there will be legitimate interest in him. Seatle, Cleveland, the Redskins and Miami. It will come down to Cleveland and the Redskins. Thats my take. What I hate about it is that the Redskins will end up giving draft choices up to get him.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
Big C
Mr. Brightside

really hoping that landry jones doesnt end up here. if we do happen do get him, i hope we trade down and select him rather than reach big time at 6.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Latest word in Norman is Landry is still undecided and is leaning on staying atOU
Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
My gut prediction is Matt Flynn. I think the Shannahans have to win next season or it is curtains. I hate to say it, but I think it will end up costing the Redskins a 2nd, possibly a first round draft choice. The Packers will franchise him.

They are going to franchise their TE, not Flynn. The Skins aren't even interested in Flynn.

Packers' Raji gets more out of playing less - JSOnline

Quote:
No progress: Tight end Jermichael Finley, who is in the final year of his contract, said it was his understanding there had been no recent talks between his agent and the team.

The Packers are expected to place the franchise tag of about $5.5 million on Finley in March if the sides can't agree on a long-term deal.

"If they do, it's something I've got to work through and talk it out," Finley said.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Closed Thread