Redskins Offseason Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #61
WillH
The Starter

Re: Redskins Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
In 2016, I think Snyder and Allen could have locked up Cousins in a 3 year deal around $19.5 mil per year. Instead they lowballed him at $16 mil per year and ended up having to franchise him at $20 mil that year.

They franchised him again in 2017 for $24 mil. The market value per the Stafford, Luck, and Carr contracts is about $25 mil. That's the minimum Kirk's contract will be worth now.

Now they are looking at either paying him $34 mil this year to guarantee him staying, or $28 mil this year and risk someone else taking a gamble on Kirk exceeding that price.

All this versus the Skins FO could have had Kirk locked up at $20 mil the past couple years, and not be looking at the escalating $ tag situation now.... Snyder and Allen screwed up big time.
No, yeah, I get it, we all know what happened, but show me someone who said it would play out this way. Most were saying that they should franchise him and let him prove it was more than a good season.

For example:

"Kirk Cousins is also, however, a quarterback with one strong season who has lost more games as a starter than he's won. The leader of a team that, while winning the NFC East last year, finished the season 9-7.

That makes the giant check Washington is about to hand Cousins a risky bet no matter what course of action it takes."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fl-free-agency

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #62
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
No, yeah, I get it, we all know what happened, but show me someone who said it would play out this way. Most were saying that they should franchise him and let him prove it was more than a good season.

For example:

"Kirk Cousins is also, however, a quarterback with one strong season who has lost more games as a starter than he's won. The leader of a team that, while winning the NFC East last year, finished the season 9-7.

That makes the giant check Washington is about to hand Cousins a risky bet no matter what course of action it takes."

Kirk Cousins Guaranteed to Be Overpaid in 2016 NFL Free Agency | Bleacher Report
I agree it was a hard choice, but that's the difference between a good FO and a bad one. The Lions high priced deal looks pretty good now. Luck and Carr don't seem exorbitant now, especially compared to what Cousins might get. The Patriots, well after the big deal Brady signed in 2010, since then he's helped the Pats big time giving them a hometown discount. Paying market value on a QB in all those cases is paying off.

The Skins OTOH, lowballed and lost.

There are at least two people who in their own actions basically said things would play out the way they have: Kirk and his agent. And they were absolutely right.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #63
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
I agree it was a hard choice, but that's the difference between a good FO and a bad one. The Lions high priced deal looks pretty good now. Luck and Carr don't seem exorbitant now, especially compared to what Cousins might get. The Patriots, well after the big deal Brady signed in 2010, since then he's helped the Pats big time giving them a hometown discount. Paying market value on a QB in all those cases is paying off.

The Skins OTOH, lowballed and lost.

There are at least two people who in their own actions basically said things would play out the way they have: Kirk and his agent. And they were absolutely right.
Well...

Luck, Stafford, and Brady all had more of a resume under their belts when they got their deals.

And Carr had a 12-3 season the year of his contract

And...

How much have the Luck, Stafford, and Carr deals really worked out yet?

Old 01-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #64
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well...

Luck, Stafford, and Brady all had more of a resume under their belts when they got their deals.

And...

Have our primary decision makers been right about the qb position since Bruce Allen has been in the building? I think that was the original point... it’s been a disaster

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #65
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Well...

And...

Given the escalating price of good QBs, I think locking Luck, Stafford, and Carr in their current deals have been good bets. Certainly the Skins would have been better off all the way up and including this year if they had taken Kirk's agent's original offer.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #66
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Have our primary decision makers been right about the qb position since Bruce Allen has been in the building? I think that was the original point... it’s been a disaster
It has turned out disastrously at times.

McNabb, bad outcome, not a horrible plan, one I believe endorsed by the Superbowl winning head coach. It did not cripple this franchise.

RG3 was THE disaster. The trade was a mistake, a terrible organizational decision. At first, the results were spectacularly good remember. Then the injuries, and then worse than that, the dude turned into an egomaniac (I don't know about you, but to me when drafted he seemed like he had a great head on his shoulders, noone knew how his psyche would play out in the NFL). This is where I agree Danny's meddling showed itself again, but Shanahan shouldn't have let it happen. He should have given a ultimatum the second Danny showed any preference to RG3s desires over the coaches.

Cousins was a steal of a draft pick BTW, and the organization eventually put football guys in a position to make football decisions. Gruden and McCloughan put there foots down and gave Cousins the reigns.

Unfortunately the timing was such that his contract ended at the same time as his breakout year. How many times does paying a QB big money after one good year pan out? So, they made him prove it and the rest is history...

This team has more positive organizational direction since Gibbs 2.0. The injuries masked that this year, but they have learned to build through the draft and smart free agent moves.

Cousins not working out will fucking suck! But I think that's his fault more than theirs at this point. Dude has no loyalty to a fan base that clearly kisses his ass, and a coach that bet his career on him at the beginning, because why? He wants to get paid, he liked the OC that left, and he doesn't like being judged by his record. But the FO should have bet everything HIM after one good season.

Edit: let me back of the final paragraph their a bit. I'll be back to asskissing fanboy if Cousins signs here long-term.

Last edited by WillH; 01-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #67
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Given the escalating price of good QBs, I think locking Luck, Stafford, and Carr in their current deals have been good bets. Certainly the Skins would have been better off all the way up and including this year if they had taken Kirk's agent's original offer.
Yeah, they would have been. They also would have been better off if they drafted Brady years ago. They would have been better off if they let Cousins go and traded up to get Carson Wentz.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #68
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Yeah, they would have been. They also would have been better off if they drafted Brady years ago. They would have been better off if they let Cousins go and traded up to get Carson Wentz.

LOL

Agreed.

I just wish our FO could do as well as the aforementioned teams. And I still don't see any animosity from Kirk nor his agent.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #69
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well it's either gripe about it and deal with it (like a shitty relationship) or move on because Dan is like a woman he is stubborn as fuck and wont leave.

Lmao. Thanks for making that so clear.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

ESPN's John Keim wrote "it's hard to see" S Su'a Cravens returning to the Redskins.

Cravens flirted with retirement last September before leaving the team and spending the season on the exempt/left squad list. Cravens' agent said the safety was suffering from post-concussion syndrome during that episode, but he has been medically cleared now and is "looking forward" to the 2018 season. Even so, Keim doubts Washington trusts Cravens enough to keep him around, and they have found a replacement in Montae Nicholson. A second-round picking in 2016, Cravens should draw interest if Washington puts him on the block.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #71
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Cravens is prob gone just like this dude....

Terrelle Pryor, WR, Washington Redskins: All I remember hearing when Pryor signed in Washington is that he was amazing in Cleveland, and though the former quarterback had just four receiving touchdowns to his name, he was going to play with one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the NFL in Kirk Cousins. A one-handed grab in practice made the world lose its damn mind. And then you probably lost your fantasy season if you drafted him. Pryor played in nine games for Washington in 2017 and started just two. He was targeted 37 times and nabbed 20 receptions for 240 yards and a touchdown. At times, he even looked like a former quarterback still learning to play wide receiver.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #72
Irrefutable
The Starter

Free Agent wish list.....

DT Star Lotulelel or Justin Ellis Oakland - 48 tackles

ILB Demario Davis 133 tackles and 15 QB hits

FS Lamarcus Joyner or Tre Boston

.................................................. .........

Offense

G Andrew Norwell

all but Norwell should be moderate contracts.....Then draft offense
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #73
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I was wondering if anyone has heard from Smoot ,was wondering what his opinion of this whole season is?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #74
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I was wondering if anyone has heard from Smoot ,was wondering what his opinion of this whole season is?
Can we start a come back SmootSmack petition thread?

Nah, we all have lives, and that takes precedence, but damn I wish I had his takes still.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #75
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Just finished listening to the podcast of Cooley's show from Friday.

There was a general Jordan Reed discussion and the subject of his crappy blocking came up.

Cooley said he actually communicates a lot with Reed and is going to be working in the offseason with him on his blocking.

Cooley said Reed was serious on getting better and realized he has to.

This isn't a revelation by any means, but it is the first time I've heard about any efforts to improve it.
Idk how I missed this, but w/e.

Positives - Reed recognizes his blocking is horrible and has decided to make that an offseason priority.

Negatives - Cooley was never the greatest blocker himself, not sure I want him teaching Reed the fundamentals.