Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade the signing of Adrian Peterson (5 the best, 1 the worst)
5 11 26.19%
4 10 23.81%
3 13 30.95%
2 3 7.14%
1 1 2.38%
0 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #46
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
There is no high reward w/ AP at this point of his career. And if Jay's thinking that a 33 year old rb who is way past his prime w/ a 3.1 ypc last year is going to help save his job then that is pretty sad. It's a total panic move by the Redskins to try and get the fanbase excited. We've seen this shit before.

Also you don't need to make a Tj Duckett type of trade. If the Redskins were smart and patient, they'd just bring in some guys off the street to play the last two pre season games, then see which backs are released at the end of pre season. Example...The Ravens picked up Alex Collins after he was cut by the Seahawks last pre season and he ended up being their starter. He started 12 games and almost had 1,000 yards.

Gruden wasn’t even going to sign a back after Guice went down, but we now have no option. AP is a guy off the street. Lol. Alex Collin type moves do not happen every day. Not even close. Even if you want to make the definitive statement that there is no high reward for AP, there certainly is not a high risk either so what is the big deal? Do you really think this was to get the fan base excited? If that was the case we would have signed him after Guice went down. We are depleted big time right now at the position. So we bought in a guy who just might have another year left - once again he ran behind possibly thee worst o line in football last year and had a couple huge games. After Guice went down we were left with last years crop and we all saw how that went. So we gave AP a one year deal. This is not same old redskins shit. If it were we would have signed him to a five year deal months ago and traded away draft picks to do it. If he doesn’t work out it is really no big deal, and nobody is going to say “man we should have got some guy off the streets that wasnt a former all pro because than we would have had an awesome run game”.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #47
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson

Yeah people make it seem like an Alex Collins just hits the wire every offseason.

If the Skins signed AP to a big money deal back in March and ignored RB in the draft I could understand the gripes.

I’m looking at it like why not? Maybe he discovers the John Riggins fountain of youth and has one last 1000 yarder in him. Or maybe he’s a rotation guy that gives us 500 yards. Either way we’re really not in a spot to be complaining considering our current situation.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #48
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Yeah people make it seem like an Alex Collins just hits the wire every offseason.

If the Skins signed AP to a big money deal back in March and ignored RB in the draft I could understand the gripes.

I’m looking at it like why not? Maybe he discovers the John Riggins fountain of youth and has one last 1000 yarder in him. Or maybe he’s a rotation guy that gives us 500 yards. Either way we’re really not in a spot to be complaining considering our current situation.

This. I am not fan of the move but this is no big deal, AP signed for vet minimum money. There is no risk and it's easy for us to cut him by start of season if we find someone else.. Maybe we can use him to mentor Guice for a year.
GridIron26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #49
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
There is no high reward w/ AP at this point of his career. And if Jay's thinking that a 33 year old rb who is way past his prime w/ a 3.1 ypc last year is going to help save his job then that is pretty sad. It's a total panic move by the Redskins to try and get the fanbase excited. We've seen this shit before.

Also you don't need to make a Tj Duckett type of trade. If the Redskins were smart and patient, they'd just bring in some guys off the street to play the last two pre season games, then see which backs are released at the end of pre season. Example...The Ravens picked up Alex Collins after he was cut by the Seahawks last pre season and he ended up being their starter. He started 12 games and almost had 1,000 yards.
But the AP move doesn't break that option.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #50
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
And just when I thought there were adults over at Redskin Park they do this dumb ass shit.
Redskins are risking a roster spot and vet minimum for a future hall of famer who likes to go out and whip some ass.
This is a low risk high reward signing.

Peterson and CT are a good 1 - 2 compliment.

I'm fine with this, I couldn't take Kelley as the primary back.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #51
skinsnut
Playmaker

Without AP, best case scenario was Perine working out. That can still happen, I don't see it though, and I definitely don't see Kelly as a pro bowler either, or even a starter. Frankly, we really didnt have a starter on the squad, just a very good 3rd down back and solid backups. I don't like AP's history with kids, but I love his football. Also note, he came back from a career threatening ACL and had an amazing season. AP is the poster child for ACL RB recovery, and that is EXACTLY what our rookie future star running back must recover from. I see AP as a Guide ACL recovery mentor. If he handles short yardage and gets a few TD's more power to him! Also can use as a fullback or a 2 back set.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #52
skinsnut
Playmaker

Also, no excuse for not running the ball now. We better as hell go for every 4th and 1 from now on.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #53
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I like the AP signing. So many players have talked about how great AP still looks, and like Trent Williams said there is no reason to think that because a guy is 33 or 34 he's all of a sudden going to slow down. We might get one more great year out of him. I think AP gives you some excitement every time he's out on the field...
Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #54
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Gruden wasn’t even going to sign a back after Guice went down, but we now have no option. AP is a guy off the street. Lol. Alex Collin type moves do not happen every day. Not even close. Even if you want to make the definitive statement that there is no high reward for AP, there certainly is not a high risk either so what is the big deal? Do you really think this was to get the fan base excited? If that was the case we would have signed him after Guice went down. We are depleted big time right now at the position. So we bought in a guy who just might have another year left - once again he ran behind possibly thee worst o line in football last year and had a couple huge games. After Guice went down we were left with last years crop and we all saw how that went. So we gave AP a one year deal. This is not same old redskins shit. If it were we would have signed him to a five year deal months ago and traded away draft picks to do it. If he doesn’t work out it is really no big deal, and nobody is going to say “man we should have got some guy off the streets that wasnt a former all pro because than we would have had an awesome run game”.

You know what I mean, a guy with less credentials.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

We already have guys with lesser credentials lol

Why not a guy that’s been there, done that?

One thing we can be sure of AP is going to bring some attitude to the run game
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #56
Defensewins
Playmaker

I am ok with it. What do we have to lose? I assume we did not pay much?
I am not saying AP will set the world on fire.......I might be wrong, but was Riggo 33 when he won a Super Bowl.?.? He was 34 when he set the record of 24 rushing TD’s in one season. Then at 35 led the NFL is rushing TD’s again.
We need a veteran RB on offense to show the others how to be an NFL RB. Nothing wrong with that. We used to do it all the time...Earnie Byner, Gerald Riggs etc.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #57
Schneed10
A Dude

His best days are behind him but let me put it this way... are you more confident now in the Redskins ability to pick up a first down on third and one with a game on the line when everyone knows you’re going to run?

Peterson still is a very hard charger and at minimum fills the Gerald Riggs type role. We desperately need that.

Guice will be the hero next year but Peterson can help on the goal line and keep drives alive.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #58
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
You know what I mean, a guy with less credentials.

I do. However for all intensive purposes AP is a guy off the street. His phone wasn’t ringing off the hook. Anyway how does less credentials fall into the positive category for anyone who did anything ever? If we gave up the farm to sign him I would agree with your whole “fill the seats, bullshit move” theory but we didn’t. We gave up nothing. You will be ordering your AP jersey soon. Lol
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #59
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Not gonna get to excited or too pissed. The team was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Lets throw AP against the wall and see if he sticks. If not, you move on and sign someone else. I have to imagine AP knows this could be his last chance. If he has bad attitude or doesn't perform he's probably donesky.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m just glad we made a move. I’m fine with a AP, Perine and CT backfield and hope this sparks the offense.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote